Alcohol limits for non-professional mariners

Paul_B

Featured Posts

Ok, that clears up a little misconception on my part.

I can certainly agree that a person weaving around the cut in a heavy steel vessel, unfit through drink represents a risk to the innocent. I could support legislation aimed at that, even if the problem is more potential than actual. What I cannot support is setting the threshold of what constitutes "unfit" at the current drink drive limit. I just consider that this holds the whole idea up to ridicule. I shall continue as always, having a few pints at the tiller, and navigating with illegal amounts of alcohol under my belt, secure in the knowledge that no one will notice or care, and that at 4mph or less I am not exposing anyone to increased risk as a result of my behaviour. especially in an enviroment where so many are navigating whilst unfit through ignorance.

Ok, that clears up a little misconception on my part.

I can certainly agree that a person weaving around the cut in a heavy steel vessel, unfit through drink represents a risk to the innocent. I could support legislation aimed at that, even if the problem is more potential than actual. What I cannot support is setting the threshold of what constitutes "unfit" at the current drink drive limit. I just consider that this holds the whole idea up to ridicule. I shall continue as always, having a few pints at the tiller, and navigating with illegal amounts of alcohol under my belt, secure in the knowledge that no one will notice or care, and that at 4mph or less I am not exposing anyone to increased risk as a result of my behaviour. especially in an enviroment where so many are navigating whilst unfit through ignorance.

Agree 100%

A degree of recognition that the required reaction speed is a factor in setting limits would be a good idea.

Of course, they've done it this way to ensure that the police can use the same equipment.

Why?

Because if this legislation had been brought in earlier lives may have been saved and thousands of ponds could have been saved. Its not just the pissed mariner whose life is at risk, there are passengers, other boaters and all the rescue services who have to turn out to save these idiots.

Just look at the news:

"Jeremy Smart, of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, said: ''This tragic event had far reaching effects on many people.

''The consumption of alcohol was a significant causal factor in this incident. Its use combined with any water activity is to be avoided.''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6744567.stm

"Philip Shears QC, prosecuting, said Prescott was criminally negligent in allowing the boat to be driven on the River Severn with 16 people on board a vessel designed for six or seven.

He said the defendant's judgement may have been clouded by alcohol in deciding to drive upstream on a "grossly overloaded" boat to give guests a better view of a fireworks display in a nearby field."

"Wisconsin DNR Conservation Warden Paul Sickman believes speeding and the use of alcohol directly contributed to the accident. Authorities at the scene found more than a dozen empty beer cans, in addition to a "fair amount" of beer and liquor still on the boat.

"We suspect that obviously alcohol and speed were a part of it," Sickman said, noting the strong smell of alcohol at the scene. "You don't get that far (ashore) going slow."

After adding up the factors believed to be involved with the accident, Sickman said the result isn't surprising.

"It's obviously a recipe for disaster to mix drinking and driving in any type of vehicle, but especially in a boat at night when it's really difficult to see," he said."

A man who was found to be twice over the road alcohol limit after his cabin cruiser was involved in a fatal collision with a small dory has been cleared of manslaughter.

Philip Colver, 32, from Cornwall, was at the helm of his 6.5m motorboat Carrie Kate at 11pm on 16 July 2005 when he collided with a 4.5m dory with three people on board.

The owner of the dory, Benjamin Cochrane, was killed instantly as Carrie Kate was thought to ride up over his boat. The two others on board, Cochrane's brother and a friend, were injured.

Warner jumped into the water, which is about 25 feet deep at that point, but couldn't find Briggs, Werder said. Police were called from a cell phone on the boat. When they arrived, the men had already returned to the dock here, police said.

Police were looking into reports that the men had been drinking alcohol before the incident, Werder said.

Because if this legislation had been brought in earlier lives may have been saved and thousands of ponds could have been saved. Its not just the pissed mariner whose life is at risk, there are passengers, other boaters and all the rescue services who have to turn out to save these idiots.

Just look at the news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6744567.stm

is it me or did none of the incidents you mention here actually happened on the cut?

Just look at the news:

So, absolutely zero evidence that it causes a problem on canals then.

Two hurt during fight outside pub

Two people have been injured trying to stop a fight outside a pub.

Police were called to The Pheasant in Shawbirch Road, Admaston, Telford, Shropshire, on Friday night.

A 47-year-old man was kicked in the head and sustained a broken jaw, grazing to his hand and head and needed stitches for a cut to his lip.

A 15-year-old girl suffered a broken arm when she was pushed over during the incident. Four people were arrested and are on police bail.

The injured pair were taken to the Princess Royal Hospital, where they received treatment.

Won't be long before they ban alcohol in pubs then. What ever next..... Smoking?

Despite what some might think the world doesnt not revolve around canals, there is a whole world out there!

the world does not, good point,, on the other hand, the name of this site does.

Its called Canal world by the way B)

The limit of 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood will be equivalent to that already in existence for professional mariners, and will apply to those persons involved in the navigation of a vessel greater than 7 metres in length and/or capable of a maximum speed of more than 7 knots.

Do you want to travel at 7 Knots? Or am I reading it wrong?

to be exempt it would appear your boat would have to meet 2 criteria

a) be less than 7 M long

B) AND not be capable of moving at more than 7 knots.

but seriously, it's not law yet, but some lobbying of MPs might be a good idea.

The limit of 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood will be equivalent to that already in existence for professional mariners, and will apply to those persons involved in the navigation of a vessel greater than 7 metres in length and/or capable of a maximum speed of more than 7 knots.

Do you want to travel at 7 Knots? Or am I reading it wrong?

You are reading it wrong.

Any boat over 7 metres, regardless of maximum speed is in scope.

Basically, it will mean that the only people who can knock back the drink are those on board very small day boats.

So, the only people who cause a problem by drinking on the canals will be exempt.

This article mainly refers to incidents involving hire boats (not day boats) on the Thames, none of which involved loss of life or even injury but the whole tone, to me, is that boating and (excessive) drinking should be prevented.

This article mainly refers to incidents involving hire boats (not day boats) on the Thames, none of which involved loss of life or even injury but the whole tone, to me, is that boating and (excessive) drinking should be prevented.

I would agree that there is a need to stamp out drunken excess on the waterways.

However, there is a HUGE diference between that and setting an 80mg limit.