Sneaking in a v belt

Featured Posts

Hi,

I need to replace a v belt that i cant get to because its behind other v belts and i've been told you can sneak one on by rolling one side of the new v belt between the pulley and obstructing v belts.

Is this a bad idea?

Btw never changed a v belt before so looking for a simple foolproof solution if possible.

Thanks,

Colin

3 minutes ago, Colin Brendan said:

looking for a simple foolproof solution if possible.

Remove all belts, check them for damage / wear and replace the 'furthest one away' (the 'new one') and then all others in order.

In a confined engine 'ole, particularly if you have a couple (or more) belts to 'wriggle-past' its easier (but may take longer) to do it from scratch.

Just a suggestion - belts do not last forever and will go at the most inconvenient times, whilst you are changing one, why not take the opportunity to change them all and keep the 'old ones' for 'get you out of trouble spares'.

Preventative maintenance is worth it (although such as C&RT may not agree)

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Remove all belts, check them for damage / wear and replace the 'furthest one away' (the 'new one') and then all others in order.

In a confined engine 'ole, particularly if you have a couple (or more) belts to 'wriggle-past' its easier (but may take longer) to do it from scratch.

Just a suggestion - belts do not last forever and will go at the most inconvenient times, whilst you are changing one, why not take the opportunity to change them all and keep the 'old ones' for 'get you out of trouble spares'.

Preventative maintenance is worth it (although such as C&RT may not agree)

Completely agree. When I go onto tidal bits of such as the Trent if my belts are over six months old I change them a few days before going onto such bits along with diesel filters.

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or, even better, carry new spares and throw the old ones away too. Then, when you have to fit one to 'get out of trouble', you don't need to do the job again shortly afterwards! :)

When I was at work where we had multiple belts we always hung a spare belt on behind the running belts tied back to the engine. That way if an inside one failed the spare was sitting there, inside the other belts ready to be fitted. Saves a lot of heart ache if you are in a rush to get the engine going again. I have the same on my boat engine as the domestic alternator belt is outside the engine alternator  and water pump belt

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I was at work where we had multiple belts we always hung a spare belt on behind the running belts tied back to the engine. That way if an inside one failed the spare was sitting there, inside the other belts ready to be fitted. Saves a lot of heart ache if you are in a rush to get the engine going again. I have the same on my boat engine as the domestic alternator belt is outside the engine alternator  and water pump belt

Ooh, I like that idea! I feel a close inspection coming on!

2 hours ago, mross said:

Surely, this is only good for twin belts, not multiple?  And belt has to lie behind all the pulleys.  I can see pros and cons.

Yes if there are more than 2 pulleys , which is a bit unusual you have to take your chances with the middle ones. If they are multiple V just attach as many belts as required. I think our engines had two pulleys each with 2 matched V belts.