Address for doctor and such-like when CCing, and even moorings

sal garfi

Featured Posts

Hell All,

I've done a search on the forum, but the search facility isn't casting up clear cut answers (maybe I'm doing something wrong). Anyway, I am certain this question has been asked before, but for a continuous cruiser, how do you register with a doctor and dentist, especially if you don't have anyone whose address you can use for registering (ie a friend or family member)? Also, and this too has to deal with addresses, if you turn 60 while CCing, how can you claim a bus pass if you have no fixed home on land?

Another issue that deals with addresses: I have been enquiring about residential moorings at marinas and I have come across some that say outright that they will turn a blind eye to a liveaboard (or they might say something like 'it's your mooring and how much time you spend on your boat is your business'). However, to get a mooring with them one still needs to show proof of an address. In this situation, if your boat is your only home and that's why you're a liveaboard, how can you get an address, if like above, you have no friend or family member to prevail upon?

Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

You could ask a relation or friend to use their address for correspondence.

Agreed. It will avoid endless complications.

As far as doctors are concerned you can register as a visitor to the area just Google the nearest surgery and they'll give you a form to fill in and you'll be seen by the doctor as if you were resident in the area. I did this many times when my condition flared up and had two operations at an area we were travelling through. Surgeries close to the canal are familiar with this - one allowed me to register at Middlewich Big Lock, another said Barlaston Marina was a common address despite no such marina existing. There are some dragons masquerading as doctor's receptionists that can make life difficult but fortunately those were in the minority. Also walk in centres are a good resource. In seven years of cc'ing with a recurring medical condition I was never left without antibiotics when I needed them.

Edited by Ange

For the purposes of officialdom we lived with my in laws for seven years - life can be very difficult if you don't have a post code, sometimes you can't even purchase an innocuous item because computer says no if they don't have a postcode to plug into the till. I can't imagine managing it without this pseudo address. You'll also find your credit rating goes down the toilet if you enter no fixed abode land.

A belated welcome by the way :)

Edited by Ange

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

On the bus pass, are you sure that you will get one at 60?  I am 59 and I don't believe I get a bus pass until my pension age which is 66.

I believe that bus passes are available the women's pension age, whatever sex you are.  Eventually they will be the same, of course.

5 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I believe that bus passes are available the women's pension age, whatever sex you are.  Eventually they will be the same, of course.

Wife's pension age is the same as mine, 66.  I believe in Wales and Scotland they still get bus passes at 60, but not in England, so that may apply to you.

Edited by john6767

23 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Wife's pension age is the same as mine, 66.  I believe in Wales and Scotland they still get bus passes at 60, but not in England, so that may apply to you.

This is correct.  From the guidance notes.

1.2 Previously the eligible age for concessionary travel was 60 years of age. However, since 6 April 2010, the age of eligibility for concessionary travel in England has been tied to the pensionable age for women. So, as the pensionable age for women gradually increases from 60 to 65 so too will the age of eligibility for concessionary travel increase for both men and women.

EDIT to add.  Currently I think you will find anyone born after 5/1/54 needs to be 66 before they are eligible.

Edited by Jerra

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

This is correct.  From the guidance notes.

1.2 Previously the eligible age for concessionary travel was 60 years of age. However, since 6 April 2010, the age of eligibility for concessionary travel in England has been tied to the pensionable age for women. So, as the pensionable age for women gradually increases from 60 to 65 so too will the age of eligibility for concessionary travel increase for both men and women.

Except that as I said my wife's pension age is already 66 like mine so already past to original male pension age of 65.

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Except that as I said my wife's pension age is already 66 like mine so already past to original male pension age of 65.

Well according to the government who I assume know what they are doing (well maybe not) she should have been born after 5/1/54 as that appears to be the age they think the pension rises to 66 for all.

EDIT:  MY mistake must have been born after 6th (approx) October 1954

Edited by Jerra

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Well according to the government who I assume know what they are doing (well maybe not) she should have been born after 5/1/54 as that appears to be the age they think the pension rises to 66 for all.

Yep that sounds about right, and at the point male pension, and bus pass, age is the same as the female one.  With later dates of birth it goes up to 67 and 68 as well.

AFAIK bus passes are issued by the Local Authority to local residents, mine is only valid for use in my LA's area.  It is presumably financed by Council Tax.

are you expecting some kindly authority to give you a bus pass even though you don't pay Council Tax?

are you looking for free hand-outs?

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yep that sounds about right, and at the point male pension, and bus pass, age is the same as the female one.  With later dates of birth it goes up to 67 and 68 as well.

According to ageuk the rise to 67 will take place between 2026 - 28

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

AFAIK bus passes are issued by the Local Authority to local residents, mine is only valid for use in my LA's area.  It is presumably financed by Council Tax.

are you expecting some kindly authority to give you a bus pass even though you don't pay Council Tax?

are you looking for free hand-outs?

I think you may be wrong with regard to eligibility.   From Concessioncard who again I assume know what they are talking about:

Since April 2008 everyone who is resident in England and who is:

• Eligible based on their age or
  • Eligible Disabled

has been entitled to a free bus pass giving free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England

'Off-peak' is between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays. Local authorities may offer further benefits to their residents, such as free travel outside off-peak times or reduced tram or rail travel. However, these will apply only for travel in the local area, not elsewhere in England. 

It would appear the only criteria is your age.

Edited by Jerra
To remove a stray (

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I got mine at 60. About the only advantage of living in Wales.

We were down Cardiff Bay earlier in the year, just got on a bus with our passes and were followed on by two couples who tended their passes. "Sorry, cant take these" said the driver " only take Welsh passes here". Oh, said the first women, "How much is it then". The driver muttered something so the woman got out a load of coins. "Sorry we dont take those pound coins, they are English" so the woman started looking through the coins to see if she had any welsh ones. After a minute of panic with the two couples, the Driver finaly appolgised and told them he had fibbed about the coins and accepted their coins. Lots of laughs from the back of the bus.

Downside is we cant get free travel in England!

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I was hoping to get my bus pass at sixty. I was eligible at 63. The pensionable age of a woman born same day as me.

Its equality dont ya know!! them poor women get done over all their lives just think of all them years they got a state pension at 60 and the bloke at 65!!

13 hours ago, Ange said:

As far as doctors are concerned you can register as a visitor to the area just Google the nearest surgery and they'll give you a form to fill in and you'll be seen by the doctor as if you were resident in the area. I did this many times when my condition flared up and had two operations at an area we were travelling through. Surgeries close to the canal are familiar with this - one allowed me to register at Middlewich Big Lock, another said Barlaston Marina was a common address despite no such marina existing. There are some dragons masquerading as doctor's receptionists that can make life difficult but fortunately those were in the minority. Also walk in centres are a good resource. In seven years of cc'ing with a recurring medical condition I was never left without antibiotics when I needed them.

This sounds positive thanks!

7 hours ago, Jerra said:

I think you may be wrong with regard to eligibility.   From Concessioncard who again I assume know what they are talking about:

Since April 2008 everyone who is resident in England and who is:

• Eligible based on their age or
  • Eligible Disabled

has been entitled to a free bus pass giving free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England

'Off-peak' is between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays. Local authorities may offer further benefits to their residents, such as free travel outside off-peak times or reduced tram or rail travel. However, these will apply only for travel in the local area, not elsewhere in England. 

It would appear the only criteria is your age.

And this makes things clear too. Thanks!

From https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

"If you live in England or Wales

In England you can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female State Pension age, whether you’re a man or a woman.

If you live in London, you can travel free on buses, tubes and other transport when you’re 60, but only within London.

In Wales you can get a bus pass when you reach 60."

On Merseyside you can get an elderly persons Travel Pass at 60, which will cover bus, train and ferry. The English bus part will only become effective when reaching that age, which Merseytravel will automatically send to you.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

From https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

"If you live in England or Wales

In England you can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female State Pension age, whether you’re a man or a woman.

If you live in London, you can travel free on buses, tubes and other transport when you’re 60, but only within London.

In Wales you can get a bus pass when you reach 60."

fine, but you need to apply to the local council where you are resident.