Jabsco par max 2.9 and accumulator

Featured Posts

Hi just bought a Jabsco par max 2.9 and fitted in place of a leaky and ancient shurflow (14 years hard use and no probs till now!). I note the following in the instructions:

"Includes bypass feature to provide smooth, quiet flow. No need for accumulator tank."

I do have an accumulator tank set at half maximum pump pressure. I assume it will do no harm to leave accumulator in? Or should I let the pressure out?

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Hi just bought a Jabsco par max 2.9 and fitted in place of a leaky and ancient shurflow (14 years hard use and no probs till now!). I note the following in the instructions:

"Includes bypass feature to provide smooth, quiet flow. No need for accumulator tank."

I do have an accumulator tank set at half maximum pump pressure. I assume it will do no harm to leave accumulator in? Or should I let the pressure out?

Cheers.

It will do no harm. 

FWIW I have a jabsco 1.9,I de-pressurised the accumulator and it appears to run better, but it will, i guess, depend on your set up

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It will do no harm. 

FWIW I have a jabsco 1.9,I de-pressurised the accumulator and it appears to run better, but it will, i guess, depend on your set up

Thanks Rusty! Might try depressurising it some time; can always pump it up again :)

Re the Jabsco Par-Max 2.9:   I bought two of these about ten years ago.  I haven't got the instructions to hand but I am sure they needed an accumulator, there was a more expensive one that was, I think, variable speed and didn't need the accumulator.

So, has the design and function of the Par-Max 2.9 changed since then, even though the product name is the same?  Or did I miss the bit about not needing an accumulator (which I have fitted).

2 hours ago, dor said:

Re the Jabsco Par-Max 2.9:   I bought two of these about ten years ago.  I haven't got the instructions to hand but I am sure they needed an accumulator, there was a more expensive one that was, I think, variable speed and didn't need the accumulator.

So, has the design and function of the Par-Max 2.9 changed since then, even though the product name is the same?  Or did I miss the bit about not needing an accumulator (which I have fitted).

I don't think you missed anything. I understand these bypass pumps were developed at the behest of volume cruiser and yacht builders so they could dispense with the accumulator. Just below cut out pressure a bypass valve opens to dump any excess flow back to the inlet side.

I had to answer a question about this type of pump so phoned their UK distributor's technical department. They told me it must not be used with an accumulator and when pressed for a reason they were totally unable to explain why. They had no idea about basic physics so I suspect they were the sales department. They also said the Jabsco equivalent could have an accumulator. In my view an accumulator will be fine, its just that without one the pump shoudl not cycle.

If you have a calorifier it is arguably a good idea to fit an expansion vessel.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't think you missed anything. I understand these bypass pumps were developed at the behest of volume cruiser and yacht builders so they could dispense with the accumulator. Just below cut out pressure a bypass valve opens to dump any excess flow back to the inlet side.

I had to answer a question about this type of pump so phoned their UK distributor's technical department. They told me it must not be used with an accumulator and when pressed for a reason they were totally unable to explain why. They had no idea about basic physics so I suspect they were the sales department. They also said the Jabsco equivalent could have an accumulator. In my view an accumulator will be fine, its just that without one the pump shoudl not cycle.

If you have a calorifier it is arguably a good idea to fit an expansion vessel.

When I called Jabsco about hammering when turning taps off they said I should have fitted an accumulator! So I did and the hammering stopped. No problems at all since.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

They told me it must not be used with an accumulator and when pressed for a reason they were totally unable to explain why.

They should read their own website which explains why an accumulator is a 'good thing' and lists the Par Max 2.9 as a suitable pump!

https://www.jabscoshop.com/advice-and-support/jabscoshop-about-pressurised-fresh-water-pumps.htm

Just a bit of feedback. The Shurflow is now replaced with the Jabsco unit and the accumulator set slightly lower pressure (new pump is 25 psi, old one was 30 psi). Dead easy straight swap using only fittings supplied with pump (jabsco has push fittings but is supplied with bsp adaptors.)  Jabsco is a little quieter and uses slightly less power. The "missing" 5 psi doesn't appear to affect the shower etc so we are happy and leak free again (until next one.) 
Thanks to all for useful info :)

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Just a bit of feedback. The Shurflow is now replaced with the Jabsco unit and the accumulator set slightly lower pressure (new pump is 25 psi, old one was 30 psi). Dead easy straight swap using only fittings supplied with pump (jabsco has push fittings but is supplied with bsp adaptors.)  Jabsco is a little quieter and uses slightly less power. The "missing" 5 psi doesn't appear to affect the shower etc so we are happy and leak free again (until next one.) 
Thanks to all for useful info :)

Far out man!

• Greenie 1