Featured Posts

We are going to need a new paint job in 18mths /2yrs . Im just starting to have a look around for a boat painter  . Obviously  Andy Russell comes to mind , we also have friends taking their boat to the fly boat company on the stockton flight , but who else ? . And how much ? Windows in or out ? Any ideas ? .we are 62ft . Thanks Bunny 

I work with a good few painters. You could speak to

Richard Corbett at Warwick Fly

John Sanderson at Dadfords Wharf

Mike Looby at Heyford Fields Marina 

Sarah Edgson at Glascote Basin Tamworth

Matt Cooper at CTS, Norton Canes

Martin Brookes at Prestwood, Stourbridge

Good luck. Dave

We had ours painted at Streethay Wharf last year and our very pleased with the work. We had full repaint plus blacking (including grit blasting), various external welding jobs and quite a bit of internal woodworking done. The boat ended up being with them for quite some time but that was partly down to us keep asking for more bits to be done. Whilst the painting was being done no other work was carried out as the boat was in their paint shed so most of the internal work had to wait until the painting was finished.

Any idea on cost ? . Our friends boat ( 57ft) is 9k to have repainted .... thats down to bare metal . Is that about right , we thought it was  Bunny . 

That's about par for the course with prices around the Midlands. Heyford fields and Spiderworks are both around £10k per boat. 

We are slightly less than this at Stowe Hill as we have a lot of other work in at all times so are not relying on boat painting as the only source of income.

Length of boat Is not overly important to cost as most of the cost is time...preparation, masking up ,painting and drying times do not reduce by days just because a boat is shorter.

Have a chat with Jamie at Devizes marina, he is an excellent boat painter, he will be able to tell you which boats he has painted on the K and A. We were going to get him to do a repaint for us but our boat is a foot too wide for the dock.

3 hours ago, Bunny said:

Any idea on cost ? . Our friends boat ( 57ft) is 9k to have repainted .... thats down to bare metal . Is that about right , we thought it was  Bunny . 

That price is a good guide, ours depended on number of colours, coach lines, signwriting, etc.

The yard at Aldermaston do sandblasting and painting. 

I know because when my boat was out on the bank there for blacking and a load of other stuff, they sandblasted the boat next to me and filled my boat with sand.  And not a word of apology when I complained about it. 

Best avoided.

6 hours ago, Bunny said:

We are going to need a new paint job in 18mths /2yrs . Im just starting to have a look around for a boat painter  . Obviously  Andy Russell comes to mind , we also have friends taking their boat to the fly boat company on the stockton flight , but who else ? . And how much ? Windows in or out ? Any ideas ? .we are 62ft . Thanks Bunny 

A friend had his boat repainted by Tim Hewitt of Union Canal Carriers, Braunston. It certainly looks good to my eye, and my friend is very pleased with the result.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The yard at Aldermaston do sandblasting and painting. 

I know because when my boat was out on the bank there for blacking and a load of other stuff, they sandblasted the boat next to me and filled my boat with sand.  And not a word of apology when I complained about it. 

Best avoided.

They shot blast at the yard where I'm doing my fit-out. They're good enough to put the boats a short distance away while they do it but the grit does get around. Not really an issue when there's a recycling plant next door pumping clouds of dust into the air all day. Boat painting is more of an exercise in logistics than a craft.

My newly-painted roof after a few days:

IMG_20170623_111557.jpg

I think it might be helpful if the OP could expand on what sort of paint job they are looking for. A bare metal strip back and immaculate high gloss spray job making the boat look like a brand new one?

Or a rub down and hand painting to a high standard with roller and laying off with a brush in a polytunnel?

Or a hand paint to an adequate standard in the open air?

And how much or how little lettering and lining and panelling? How many colours?

On 02/07/2017 at 22:53, stegra said:

hey're good enough to put the boats a short distance away while they do it but the grit does get around.

Get around? By boat had several kilograms of sand on it and a fair amount actually inside despite tie boat being all closed up. Took two of us about a day to clean it up. 

The door hinges crunched for months afterwards with sand in the hinges.

if you want your boat painted very cheaply to a professional looking finish and with really, really good signwriting, Robert Naghi is your man.

He doesn't do removing windows or taking the whole boat back to bare metal, but for you jddevel I guess that would not be an issue.

Adding a couple of pics of my boat, recently painted by Robert Naghi.

59597ea7b62ff_boat1.jpg.2dad9c01478f2e50045d385d7de93b15.jpg59597edd56fe5_boatoutside.jpg.5d0442229606a509e6addb8a3502d019.jpg

Unless the painter is completely useless, then all recently repainted boats look good. You need a recommendation from someone whose boat was painted maybe three years ago. If the paintwork still looks good with no signs of rust bubbling through, then that is a good painter to use for your boat. That is when the extra care with preperation shows.

Jen

• Greenie 4

9 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Unless the painter is completely useless, then all recently repainted boats look good. You need a recommendation from someone whose boat was painted maybe three years ago. If the paintwork still looks good with no signs of rust bubbling through, then that is a good painter to use for your boat. That is when the extra care with preperation shows.

Jen

Thank goodness for a sensible posting.

Thank you all for your recommendations , certainly food for thought  . As far as ' what we actually require' its a bit of an open book ' , depends what you get for your money . Probably looking at the 'down to bare metal 'gig 10k . She a Reading Marine build , original,  well looked after 13 year old paintwork , under my husband continuing care would probably be ok for another 2 years ,  ( the original painter in now in Australia, too far to take her ) there are a couple of under window rust patches that need attention . She was shot blasted and twin epoxyed at abc Aldermaston  about 4 /5 years ago . If anyone has a 3/4 year paint job that they are still very happy with please let me know . Again thank you.  Bunny.

• Greenie 1

I know a couple of boats that Jamie has painted here on the K and A, they still look good a few years later, I know he hand paints several top coats, and as I said I would have had a repaint from him no question, if my boat was able to fit the dock.