Cromwell to Torksey

john6767

Featured Posts

What would the experts wisdom be pn the right time to leave Cromwell to get to Torksey, tomorrow or on Tuesday?

I have spoken to Cromwell and they say can go anytime in the morning but would not get into Torksey until 4pm tomorrow 5pm on Tuesday, so to just wait on the pontoon until can get in.  I was therefore thinking of going at 11am tomorrow or midday on Tuesday.  Does that sound a good plan, how long should it take me, I am thinking three and a half hours?

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

What would the experts wisdom be pn the right time to leave Cromwell to get to Torksey, tomorrow or on Tuesday?

I have spoken to Cromwell and they say can go anytime in the morning but would not get into Torksey until 4pm tomorrow 5pm on Tuesday, so to just wait on the pontoon until can get in.  I was therefore thinking of going at 11am tomorrow or midday on Tuesday.  Does that sound a good plan, how long should it take me, I am thinking three and a half hours?

With the almost zero fresh on the river at present it will be similar to canal cruising and a very easy pleasant cruise. I would simply go by the lockies advice and choose whatever time floats ya boat so to speak. There is oodles of floating pontoon length outside the lock so again a pleasant place to moor if needed and for overnight if wanted.

I have completed this route twice in a 43 HP 45 foot boat. Left both times at high tide Cromwell and it took 3 hrs 20 and 3 hrs the second time. The first time I left with other boats and definitely wasn't the fastest.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

With the almost zero fresh on the river at present it will be similar to canal cruising and a very easy pleasant cruise. I would simply go by the lockies advice and choose whatever time floats ya boat so to speak. There is oodles of floating pontoon length outside the lock so again a pleasant place to moor if needed and for overnight if wanted.

We went down last September and the pontoons were full and breasted up, luckily we went straight in , returning next evening , we had to moor on the south side against a massive mud hopper.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

We went down last September and the pontoons were full and breasted up, luckily we went straight in , returning next evening , we had to moor on the south side against a massive mud hopper.

Blimey, ive never seen it full or anywhere near. I have a couple of times been the only boat there!! Breasting up is fine though if needs be. Perhaps peeps heard you were coming and went to meet you? :D

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We were a day behind you, and there was plenty of room on the pontoons when we got there, even though there were several boats waiting to leave.  The biggest problem was that the massive hopper was out in the middle, as there was some dredging going on in the channel.  Also plenty of room when we returned a couple of days later; we spent the night on the pontoon so we could leave early the following morning.

41 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

We were a day behind you, and there was plenty of room on the pontoons when we got there, even though there were several boats waiting to leave.  The biggest problem was that the massive hopper was out in the middle, as there was some dredging going on in the channel.  Also plenty of room when we returned a couple of days later; we spent the night on the pontoon so we could leave early the following morning.

That proves it then, it was mattys fan club.

• Greenie 1

I'm on the Torksey pontoon right now.  Like Tim, I've never seen them full. ATM, there are two cruisers on the long pontoon, with me opposite, having just come down the lock.

A CRT notice up at the lock says 'You're always more relaxed when near the water', or some such, which I find slightly ironic, as I always find the tidal Trent just a mite stressful!

15 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm on the Torksey pontoon right now.  Like Tim, I've never seen them full. ATM, there are two cruisers on the long pontoon, with me opposite, having just come down the lock.

A CRT notice up at the lock says 'You're always more relaxed when near the water', or some such, which I find slightly ironic, as I always find the tidal Trent just a mite stressful!

I am stressing about it a bit not having done it before.  We have just come through Holme lock and aiming for Newark tonight theCromwell to Torksey tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I am stressing about it a bit not having done it before.  We have just come through Holme lock and aiming for Newark tonight theCromwell to Torksey tomorrow.

We did it for the first time last September.  I'd say follow the red line on the chart and you won't go far wrong.  I was pleased I did, rather than follow another boat, who said he'd been doing the Trent for 35 years; it was him who ran aground.  A bit of concentration and common sense required.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

We did it for the first time last September.  I'd say follow the red line on the chart and you won't go far wrong.  I was pleased I did, rather than follow another boat, who said he'd been doing the Trent for 35 years; it was him who ran aground.  A bit of concentration and common sense required.

We did it many years ago. Ended up pulling a narrowboat off who had cut one of the corners too fine. 

50 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You will love it. You have just eneterd a fab bit of the trent now I love that stretch all the way up to Cromwell ( now thats a big lock ) with the practicaly zero rainfall you will find the tidal bit just as easy if you time it all correctly. Have a great trip :D

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Problem is that the 'red line on the chart' isn't there 'on the ground' - apparently someone did try to mark it with red paint but it kept disappearing.

I bet the bloody idiot used emulsion :rolleyes: everybody knows emulsion is water based paint  innitt........

Thanks for all the comments.  We are at Newark for the night now and will leave for Cromwell at 9 in the morning so hopefully through Cromwell at around 11.

I have to say very impressed by the Trent so far.  Even simple things like the Km markers posts, and the fact that the lock keepers communicate with each other on VHF so you know what boats are moving.  The Severn would be improved by both those things.

We are at Newark tonight, having dropped down at Torksey at 15.00 today. 

Make sure you pass the islands correctly (as per signage) on the tidal Trent. Sounds obvious but a narrowboat has been aground much of today above Butlers island. We were warned by the lockie at Torksey that he was there. We cruised past, but sadly couldn't risk going to the wrong side of the island to help. 

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Leave at whatever time you like.

So long as you follow the chart there is plenty of water in that stretch from Cromwell to Torksey .

I passed a grounded narrowboat at Butler's Island near Torksey today.  He had been there for some hours.  He eventually floated off and caught up with me approaching Cromwell.

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Hi Mac, where did you moor tonight? We passed you 6 miles south of Cromwell today. We couldn't get on the floating mooring above Cromwell, and pressed on to Newark. 

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

Hi Mac, where did you moor tonight? We passed you 6 miles south of Cromwell today. We couldn't get on the floating mooring above Cromwell, and pressed on to Newark. 

I presume you mean 6 miles north!  I've squeezed in on the 'low' wall (ie roof height).  There's always room for a little 'un.

Yes North, thank you, we were of course heading South. I've now enjoyed sharing a well earned bottle of Shiraz. 

Glad the other boat managed to get off Butler's island. It must have been a stressful day for him. I hated cruising past without helping, but just couldn't risk it. 

9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I passed a grounded narrowboat at Butler's Island near Torksey today.  He had been there for some hours.  He eventually floated off and caught up with me approaching Cromwell.

Well if they will go on the wrong side of the river!

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Stick to the channel and you will be fine.

There are massive boards at the sunken islands telling you which way to go!

Correct. You realy do have to try hard to go aground or be a n----- :D Did the chap who was aground hail any of you on your vhf radios? or did he not carry all your telefone numbers with him?