Hudson Porthole Leaks

Featured Posts

The boiling hot weather earlier this month and now the last two days of torrential rain here in South Yorkshire seem to have had an adverse effect on two portholes of my Hudson. 

Both those leaking are on the starboard side and rain has made considerable ingress underneath the gunnel immediately below the portholes. Up until this point I haven't noticed any problems but then the boat is now 16 years old and maybe something like this should be expected?

Having gone through some previous posts on the subject I'm thinking of  removing the outer brass plates and resealing them with something like Polyurethane PU40 sealant or similar. I've also noted the recommendations for' Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' but this would possibly be just a temporary fix, albeit good enough until I'm nearer my home turf!

However before I do and maybe open a large can of worms, I wonder if anyone else could guide me if they have also tackeled a similar job, specifically on an earlier Hudson hull?

I'm not sure of what I will find once I have removed the outer brass plates as to how the portholes are fixed. They have a 15mm or so rubber gasket on the inner side of the glass which all look functional and so any leak must be coming in and down between the outer brass plate and glass. 

Thanks for any response!

9 hours ago, Northlight said:

The boiling hot weather earlier this month and now the last two days of torrential rain here in South Yorkshire seem to have had an adverse effect on two portholes of my Hudson. 

Both those leaking are on the starboard side and rain has made considerable ingress underneath the gunnel immediately below the portholes. Up until this point I haven't noticed any problems but then the boat is now 16 years old and maybe something like this should be expected?

Having gone through some previous posts on the subject I'm thinking of  removing the outer brass plates and resealing them with something like Polyurethane PU40 sealant or similar. I've also noted the recommendations for' Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' but this would possibly be just a temporary fix, albeit good enough until I'm nearer my home turf!

However before I do and maybe open a large can of worms, I wonder if anyone else could guide me if they have also tackeled a similar job, specifically on an earlier Hudson hull?

I'm not sure of what I will find once I have removed the outer brass plates as to how the portholes are fixed. They have a 15mm or so rubber gasket on the inner side of the glass which all look functional and so any leak must be coming in and down between the outer brass plate and glass. 

Thanks for any response!

Duplicate thread.