Soft Starter - one for the elecrical bods

Midnight

Featured Posts

• 8 months later...

Finally got around to fitting the soft starter and after an initial setback (fuse) it now all works. My 240volt waste pump now starts off the batteries without the engine running.

I'm now wondering if this opens the door to fitting other domestic utilities like washing machine, 240v macerator, etc.

Would be interested to know what the electric bods think. 

ssc-soft-start.jpg

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Finally got around to fitting the soft starter and after an initial setback (fuse) it now all works. My 240volt waste pump now starts off the batteries without the engine running.

I'm now wondering if this opens the door to fitting other domestic utilities like washing machine, 240v macerator, etc.

ssc-soft-start.jpg

Good news and looks like a really well built bet of kit.

My (limited!) money was on Smiley Pete in #22.  One of the cheap modules in suitable enclosure allows me to run a compressor from my manky little 2 stoke generator and I have used it to 'help out' with other kit with a fair level of success.

53 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Relay soft start is simply a mains relay and a high wattage resistor of a few ohms

Absolute rubbish. Draw us the circuit using only a relay and resistor that reduces inrush current.

The UA unit probably comprises a negative temperature coefficient thermistor rated >30A, a simple timer circuit, and a high quality relay rated at >30A AC. Plus a waterproof enclosure, terminals and cable glands. It’ll be tested and guaranteed too. 

Pete posted a link to a cheaper one in post #22 but who knows what the quality of the relay is, and then you have to put it in a box, fit glands etc. 

Edited by WotEver
Typo

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I don't post rubbish.

Unfortunately you do. 

Yesterday it was that 12V fridge compressors aren’t 12V and therefore have an in-built inverter. Today it’s that a motor soft-start comprises a resistor and relay. I repeat what I said previously: draw us the circuit that will achieve that. 

Too arrogant, you are ignored.

Batts fridge conversions of Lec fridges with Danfoss AC compressor from the 90s.   Moffat, Tappan etc microwaves, 5 ohm 20w resistor in series with the supply, relay coil connected after the resistor, contacts connected across the resistor, energises and lock in.

End of.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Sorry, Midnight, but If I am going to attract comments like this, I will decline to help any further.

That's ok I'm not keen on negative comments for the sake of it.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Absolute rubbish. Draw us the circuit using only a relay and resistor that reduces inrush current.

The UA unit probably comprises a negative temperature coefficient thermistor rated >30A, a simple timer circuit, and a high quality relay rated at >30A AC. Plus a waterproof enclosure, terminals and cable glands. It’ll be tested and guaranteed too. 

Pete posted a link to a cheaper one in post #22 but who knows what the quality of the relay is, and then you have to put it in a box, fit glands etc. 

Yes there' a bit more inside the box than a relay and a resistor. I wouldn't be too concerned if that's all there was. The thing works so worth the money to me. Just wondering what else it might be used for.

The technical support chap was worth the cost alone and he did say the cheaper version may not work for what I wanted

Just to be clear the cheaper version I referred to was post #2

Edited by Midnight

microwaves, 5 ohm 20w resistor in series with the supply, relay coil connected after the resistor, contacts connected across the resistor, energises and lock in.

You forgot to mention the timer circuit that controls the relay.

You also appear to have overlooked the fact that a small resistor in series with the primary winding of a relatively small transformer in a microwave would be singularly innefective in a 6kW soft start module controlling an 8hp motor. 

23 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Yes there' a bit more inside the box than a relay and a resistor. I wouldn't be too concerned if that's all there was. The thing works so worth the money to me. Just wondering what else it might be used for.

Yes, of course there is :)

It’ll be good for any simple load such as a heater, fan, pump, motor etc. It won’t be so good for anything with electronics which might get somewhat confused by the stepped input voltage. 

Batts fridge conversions of Lec fridges with Danfoss AC compressor from the 90s

What have they got to do with a brand new 12V fridge with electronic controls that was bought a few weeks ago?

12 hours ago, Midnight said:

ssc-soft-start.jpg

These people run Air con on a Catamaran with an inverter and a Microair easystart. American company and they are $300 but they have done a video which you might find intresting.

https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=29181121483

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/air-conditioning-sailboat

8 hours ago, Jon12345 said:

These people run Air con on a Catamaran with an inverter and a Microair easystart.

Just a little bit more than a relay and a resistor on the board, I note...

15904822-662D-43EA-8202-D3D80A48769D.jpeg.6d48b4d0c5448cde5ec9425c56d7ba99.jpeg