Loose chimney on Squirrel stove

Featured Posts

Hi eager fountains of knowledge!

After a momentary lapse, I whacked the chimney on the arch of a particularly low bridge on a bend recently.

The chimney top fell off, and has had running repairs, the chimney mount seems ok, but the flue tube from the stove top upwards to the roof is loose by two or three mm at the base collar. The roof seems to be taking all the weight and it is like a very minor pendulum movement above the stove.There were some minor bits of sealant/packing broken loose on the stove top after the incident. The shock of the impact has clearly transferred down.

Is it normal for the roof fitting to bear a significant amount of weight, and is there a way of packing and sealing it at the base, or an internal way of adjusting it inside the stove . It's a squirrel 1430. I have put an old pic of it with the post.

Thanks in anticipation.

ps: sorry about the massive pic.....

Squirrel pic.jpg

Edited by Hartlebury lad

It is better that the roof fitting bears much of the weight. Morso stoves dont like the top plate bearing all the weight it isnt recomended as it can lead to cracking. I would just re pack tightly in the collar with fireproof rope stuff then reseal at top and at the stove with some good old heat approved type sealant/silicon from a gun............

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It is better that the roof fitting bears much of the weight. Morso stoves dont like the top plate bearing all the weight it isnt recomended as it can lead to cracking. I would just re pack tightly in the collar with fireproof rope stuff then reseal at top and at the stove with some good old heat approved type sealant/silicon from a gun............

And put a new battery in the CO detector when you first relight the stove!

Ideally the stove pipe should be loose in the collar with the base mounted in the flue spigot on the stove. It should be bedded on ceramic rope, and sealed with fire cement or high temperature silicon. The pipe should be lined with a ceramic tape where it passes through the collar to stop it fusing with corrosion to the collar. If it does fuse to the collar, as the fire is heated up, the expansion puts much strain on the top plate. This is what causes it to crack.

Thank you for the advice.

I did have a concern about what was supposed to bear the weight. That's clarified,

It is possible that the pipe and collar are fused. There are ruddy rust like deposits at the joint which you can probably make out on the pic.

I will get it tackled - it looks like it will need doing sooner than anticipated given the downturn in the weather!

If you're sealing any joints near the stove use this stuff (which goes to 1200C) rather than ordinary high temperature silicone sealants like Plumba flue which are fine for the top of the flue where temperatures are lower but can fail at higher temperatures.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-1200-C-Fireproof-Silicone-Sealant-Envirograf-Stoves-Fireplaces-Woodburners-/400744442187