How to stop window leaks

Featured Posts

Good news and bad news. First the bad news. With the heavy rain on Tuesday night we have found a window is leaking badly. The good news is that the other 8 are watertight!

We only bought the boat recently so hadnt noticed any problems with windows in the drought.

A pic of one of the windows below (the leaking one was on the other side and I didnt want to swim with the camera). We intend to do a full repaint next year so I only want to do a temporary repair (ie not remove the windows - they can remove all the windows then). White silicone sealant is obvioiusly not the answer. What are the forum's recommendations on what to seal it with. Not sure yet if the leak is from the top of the frame between the frame and the shell or a leak between the glass and the frame at the bottom.

We are heading back to the marina today so will be able to get out to Chandlers or B&Q this weekend to get the best 'goo'.

window-9881.jpg

Edited by Dr Bob

First try Capt. Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure (this is definitely NOT a joke. Its a thin liquid in a plastic applicator bottle. just run it along the top of the window to cabin side joint and see where it seeps into any gap. let it dry for half a da and then reapply. Repeat until it no longer seeps in.

It dries more or less clear (I think its PVA based) and is an ideal temporary sealer for situations such as yours.

• Greenie 1

As it's a 12 month temporary job I'd use Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. 

It appears that someone has smeared silicone over the edges. Not only won't that work, as you've seen, but it would have caused problems with repainting too. 

Crossed with t'other Tony :)

Edited by WotEver

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Have just Tolley'd our yacht windows as a temporary measure (too early to know if it worked) 

Magic guys. Capt Tolleys it is then. I will drive over to Midland chandlers tomorrow then.

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

As it's a 12 month temporary job I'd use Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. 

It appears that someone has smeared silicone over the edges. Not only won't that work, as you've seen, but it would have caused problems with repainting too. 

Crossed with t'other Tony :)

Yes, the window seals do look a bit of a mess. We've just had a partial fit out done inside and the guy doing it said the kitchen window had been leaking so when we get it painted in 6 months, we will get all the windows taken out and refitted.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I wouldn't get too excited Dr Bob, it is worth a try, but can be a bit hit and miss. 

Had a quick look as we were going through the Calcut locks this afternoon and there is a gap in the rubber seal just below the top corner above where the leak was (about2-3mm gap) but on the vertical. It's been raining now for 30 mins and no water inside (and no evidence of an ongoing leak). I think the problem happened on tuesday night when we had a period of 30mins very very heavy rain - like 3 inches per hour rain - and water must have been cascading off that bit of roof.  I will get some other mastic to fill the gap and then have the Capt Tolleys to seal the bits I cant see.

....and boy was the canal low today coming up from Radford bottom lock to the bottom of Stockton on the GU. Probably 2 ft down on where it is when plenty of water around. We need some rain.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Had a quick look as we were going through the Calcut locks this afternoon and there is a gap in the rubber seal just below the top corner above where the leak was (about2-3mm gap) but on the vertical. It's been raining now for 30 mins and no water inside (and no evidence of an ongoing leak). I think the problem happened on tuesday night when we had a period of 30mins very very heavy rain - like 3 inches per hour rain - and water must have been cascading off that bit of roof.  I will get some other mastic to fill the gap and then have the Capt Tolleys to seal the bits I cant see.

....and boy was the canal low today coming up from Radford bottom lock to the bottom of Stockton on the GU. Probably 2 ft down on where it is when plenty of water around. We need some rain.

When we first got our boat, i took all the windows out and re bedded them on silicone, 14 in total. After 18 years, one has started leaking(on the top corner) . I bodged it up with some silicone on the outside, which seems to have stopped it, but it aint pretty.

And of course, it depends which way the wind is blowing whether it leaks or not:)

• Greenie 1

Another thing to check is that the drain slots at the bottom of the frames are clear. If they get blocked, water can run down the outside of the glass, and get inside the frame, with no way out except around the bottom of the glass and inside the boat. 

Good Evening

just done 4 windows over the last 2days used a roll of, its a putty type rubber substance from midland chandlers think its called butile rubber, fantastic stuff. We've had awful rain and none of them have leaked. It was about £10 a roll,enough for 4 windows.

12 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Another thing to check is that the drain slots at the bottom of the frames are clear. If they get blocked, water can run down the outside of the glass, and get inside the frame, with no way out except around the bottom of the glass and inside the boat. 

Iain, thanks for the heads up on this. I will check in the morning.

3 minutes ago, lpp1612 said:

Good Evening

just done 4 windows over the last 2days used a roll of, its a putty type rubber substance from midland chandlers think its called butile rubber, fantastic stuff. We've had awful rain and none of them have leaked. It was about £10 a roll,enough for 4 windows.

Did you remove the windows to do this? If so how long did it take per window?

hi

yes, removed the frames. I was dreading the job but it was easy took about 45 mins per window,mine are quite old fashioned, the frames were screwed through, on to the boat with the screws exposed. Hope this helps.

I've had a couple of leaking windows, one very little, the other, well is was pouring in.. I contacted Channel Glaze who supplied me with the OEM sealing tape they use for installing windows, its a kind of black foam double sided super sticky tape, windows out, frames cleaned, and with this tape used, no leaks anymore.. I've one more window to seal over the weekend, so will look see if the tape has a product name. 

Good luck.