How much gas does a pilot light use?

AdamG

Featured Posts

Sounds to me like the op and Alan both need to service the ignition part? my alde did this and eventually it wouldnt light at all, had a service and the chap cleaned it all up, bingo, back to instant lighting,

I turn the ignition on when i want to heat water, then off straight away after, i really dont see the point in leaving it on, it may use a lot, or it may use a little, but its still using some, for doing nothing, wasting gas!

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Sounds to me like the op and Alan both need to service the ignition part? my alde did this and eventually it wouldnt light at all, had a service and the chap cleaned it all up, bingo, back to instant lighting,

I turn the ignition on when i want to heat water, then off straight away after, i really dont see the point in leaving it on, it may use a lot, or it may use a little, but its still using some, for doing nothing, wasting gas!

I think its probably down to where people live. I have lived aboard a boat for so many years that without thinking I never leave anything switched on or running as subconsciously I know I will have to top up or replace whatever it is too quickly or recharge batteries etc. We never leave even a tiny standby light on on stuff we arnt using. I still am amazed when any of the kids visit and leave the tap running for instance when cleaning their teeth I havnt done that for donkeys years or switch tv off with remote but not at switch etc etc etc. I believe if everybody in the uk lived off grid in their houses then wastage of water and lectric would reduce massively. 

• Greenie 2

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is something wrong with your water heater then Alan. You mean the Morco in Flamenco?

Both my Morcos need the button holding in for only about 5-7 seconds to get the pilot to hold.

Yes, I'm sure you are right.

Although it is exactly the same symptom as the one I put in on Chalice.  Both it and "Flamenco's" one were new fits by me, so it seems a bit odd that I have ended up with two in succession that were not quite right.

19 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, I'm sure you are right.

Although it is exactly the same symptom as the one I put in on Chalice.  Both it and "Flamenco's" one were new fits by me, so it seems a bit odd that I have ended up with two in succession that were not quite right.

Did you find the secret switch inside and set it to "installed by a professional" or did you leave it set to "DIY installer"?

:D:D:D

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you find the secret switch inside and set it to "installed by a professional" or did you leave it set to "DIY installer"?

It's otherwise working well, so I would prefer to keep the professionals out of it!  :)

(Actually I had no need to go inside it.  I was able to Gaffer Tape all required connections to it, without opening it up!)

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, mross said:

In post 32 is MtB quoting Alan or vice versa?????

Yes it's odd, I 've noticed several quotations attributed to me recently, when the text quoted was written by someone else in the thread. 

Is it another bug?

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There used to be a scam perpetrated by burglar alarm installers. Once up and running they would set the system to display an error code after 12 months. When the error appears a year later the customer phones the installer who would reply "Ahh yes, I'll need to come out and give the system a service". 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

There used to be a scam perpetrated by burglar alarm installers. Once up and running they would set the system to display an error code after 12 months. When the error appears a year later the customer phones the installer who would reply "Ahh yes, I'll need to come out and give the system a service". 

Software bombs were common in industrial equipment, if a supplier has progress payments that are not paid on time, then a bug creates a fault. Damn criminal. Sometimes the "bugs" just required a few key presses, to save the cost of an engineer going out, once the "random" is paid.

It is a ransom too. 

Now I have a printer that can use third party cartridges, but the printer company had no contingency to prevent this, so after a time they develop a "fix" so they encourage the owner /user to upgrade the firmware to give better ink usage or better quality, but what they are doing is, installing a "fix" to stop the use of particular cartridges. Guess what... ? after the "fix", the third party cartridges no longer work. 

Then we have VW group and their emission "fix"  No one seems to go to prison? It is all fraud how ever it is wrapped up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 20:26, rusty69 said:

I have a rinnai, the igniter is battery operated and a bit hit and miss, I light the pilot with a match

Many thanks Rusty... I discovered the battery compartment under the boiler at the back, changed the battery and it now works a heck of a lot better! :D

11 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I need to hold my nearly new Morco D61B in for 35-40 seconds before it will stay on, is this more than the average?

With my Rinnai, I have to hold the ignition button in for a good 15 seconds before the pilot light catches and stays on. 35-40 seconds seems a little long to me, but then it's a different brand so I'm not sure if that's about right or not....

45 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I need to hold my nearly new Morco D61B in for 35-40 seconds before it will stay on, is this more than the average?

Yes, way longer than normal.

I have two D61B Morcos and both of them will stay on after just five seconds of holding the knob in.

(Snigger.)

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, way longer than normal.

I have two D61B Morcos and both of them will stay on after just five seconds of holding the knob in.

(Snigger.)

but they know you're a professional, they wouldn't dare muck you about?

31 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

but they know you're a professional, they wouldn't dare muck you about?

This happens surprisingly often. I arrive at a house to fix the boiler and it works fine for me when I test it. So often in fact that these days before I even touch the boiler I get the customer to demonstrate the fault. Their face is a picture if it lights!

Damned annoying actually, as I now have to guess at what is probably an intermittent fault. 

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This happens surprisingly often. I arrive at a house to fix the boiler and it works fine for me when I test it. So often in fact that these days before I even touch the boiler I get the customer to demonstrate the fault. Their face is a picture if it lights!

Damned annoying actually, as I now have to guess at what is probably an intermittent fault. 

Two friends of mine had a big fall out because one recommended a plumber who came along and showed how to reset the boiler by holding the control to the left for ten seconds. No amount of explanation was enough to temper her annoyance at having to pay £60 despite booking the plumber at "mates' rates" for two hours. The plumber could easily have faffed around and kept the reset function to himself but has ever since been regarded as a con-man by the customer.

1 minute ago, stegra said:

Two friends of mine had a big fall out because one recommended a plumber who came along and showed how to reset the boiler by holding the control to the left for ten seconds. No amount of explanation was enough to temper her annoyance at having to pay £60 despite booking the plumber at "mates' rates" for two hours. The plumber could easily have faffed around and kept the reset function to himself but has ever since been regarded as a con-man by the customer.

She could have RTFM for herself and discovered this, instead of employing someone to come and sort it out. 

She sounds pretty unreasonable to me actually, especially if his travel time was significant. On the other hand I'd probably have gone through the basic diagnostic stuff with her on the phone and caught this one before going, and made sure she'd re-set it.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if if it locked out again later but now she is in the habit of re-setting it repeatedly. If so then yes he WAS a cowboy! He should really have investigated why it tripped in the first place really, once there...

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

She could have RTFM for herself and discovered this, instead of employing someone to come and sort it out. 

She sounds pretty unreasonable to me actually, especially if his travel time was significant. On the other hand I'd probably have gone through the basic diagnostic stuff with her on the phone and caught this one before going, and made sure she'd re-set it.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if if it locked out again later but now she is in the habit of re-setting it repeatedly. If so then yes he WAS a cowboy! He should really have investigated why it tripped in the first place really, once there...

He was no cowboy. Well, not to her anyway. I guess it's subjective as to whether someone taking advantage of a government scheme that paid around £2k for a straight boiler swap was unscrupulous. Essentially, he agreed to spare a couple of hours on a snagging day at her request. He had more important things to do but set time aside to help out a friend of a friend.