How are we doing?

RichM

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I still have relative times.

Your post for example, was at "20 hours ago"...

Me too.

And my sister's been staying for the last four days, which was a long relative time towards the end.

(This Shiraz Mataro's good too..)

• Greenie 1

I'm the first to admit that I didn't like this new format. And I said so. I almost handed in my notice.

Not sure what all the fuss was about now. Not as good as the older model but change is always difficult.

martyn

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 23:14, Mike the Boilerman said:

I haven't noticed a VNC page anywhere. Nearest I've found so far is a "Unread content" link.

I'm really struggling to find anything I like about this new interface, frankly. Every update over the years has taken away features I liked. This last update almost made me register at thunderboat. But not quite... :)

we would have made you welcome Mike  

Phil ☺ 

3 hours ago, mross said:

hover your mouse or finger over the "37 minutes ago" or whatever and you will see the actual date and time of that post.

Nope. On my Android phone, if I click on the "37 minutes ago" the post reloads. If I hold my finger over it the "open in new tab" etc. menu pops up.

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

we would have made you welcome Mike  

Phil ☺ 

Who's we? Do you speak for everyone on Thunderboat? I've seen many derogatory comments about Mike on TB and at least two threads purely started to attack him.

I don't blame him for not joining and question how many "we" represents.

• Greenie 3

42 minutes ago, mross said:

OK, works on Win10, but not on Android.  Doesn't work on Win10 when using touch, only when using a mouse/touchpad

This is a good example of how this latest software version fiddled with something that worked fine, and changed it into something that still works, but less well. Why should we have to hover over a relative time to discover the real time? The real time is the useful time so why not just display it like before?

It isn't a big deal on its own but this new software is littered with dozens of examples like this where functionality has been reduced a little and complaining about each individual case seems like nit-picking. But added together, the whole thing adds up to substantially reduced ease of use for ordinary members who just want to arrive here, read stuff and post stuff. 

No-one (except Nick Norman and perhaps mross) enjoys finding functionality reduced or hidden, and having to firkle about under the bonnet looking for ways to do things simple that were obvious and intuitive previously. Like seeing what time a post was posted.

7 hours ago, Ange said:

Who's we? Do you speak for everyone on Thunderboat? I've seen many derogatory comments about Mike on TB and at least two threads purely started to attack him.

Thunderboat? Whats that? Is it a weather forum? why is Mike supposedly interested in the weather so much?

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thunderboat? Whats that? Is it a weather forum? why is Mike supposedly interested in the weather so much?

It's a discussion forum obsessed with criticising me, so I'm led to understand by people who go there occasionally!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's a discussion forum obsessed with criticising me, so I'm led to understand by people who go there occasionally!

What a strange format for a forum to have B)

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well no, just one or two people. But you should be flattered that you have a fan base!

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Well no, just one or two people. But you should be flattered that you have a fan base!

Well in that case if the next software upgrade on here continues the downward trajectory in user unfriendliness, I might well hold my nose and take the plunge...

MtB, I think you enjoy complaining about forum software!  I'm sure you would hate the software on Thunderboat.  When you go to a new page it takes you to the bottom so you than have to scroll to the top just to read the next post!

9 minutes ago, mross said:

MtB, I think you enjoy complaining about forum software!  I'm sure you would hate the software on Thunderboat.  When you go to a new page it takes you to the bottom so you than have to scroll to the top just to read the next post!

It doesn't do that for me.

10 minutes ago, mross said:

Ok thanks. I definitely won't go there after all then!

12 hours ago, Ange said:

Oh do wind your neck in, I made the post because Mike and his input would be welcome, members have said as much as have I and I'm sure Mike doesn't need you to hold his hand.

Phil