East Midlands Ring etc - is it really rural?!

The Major

Featured Posts

Our family of four are hoping to take a two week trip on the canals around the May Bank Holiday. Having had a splendid couple of holidays with two friends some years back - the Cheshire Ring in a week was one of 'em - we'd been waiting for our two lads (13 and 11) to get to an age where they'd get the most out of a canal holiday. We ventured out with them onto the Llangollen last year and they had a such grand time helping out, sketching, playing games etc that they want to go again!

This year our eyes alighted upon a Black Prince route called the 'East Midlands Ring'. Although it appears to skirt places like Stoke, Leicester and Coventry they say "Most of this route is very rural and quiet". As we have suffered the occasional bout of stone throwing in really built up areas etc I'd be grateful on your opinions as to the general character of the route and any places you think we'd be silly to miss. All tips gratefully received as we hope to book very shortly. One shorter alternative might be the "Four Counties' in a week? Many thanks!

Hi, welcome :)

Just some more background info on the ring:

http://www.waterways-uk.com/southmid.htm[/url]']East Midlands Ring (Two weeks)

The East Midlands Ring is a most delightful two week circuit through the counties of the East Midlands. The entry into Leicester, passing under ornamental iron bridges and tree lined parkland, is probably the finest stretch of urban canal in the country, and you might moor at the Castle gardens and explore the delights of this modern cosmopolitan city. It is hard to believe that the Soar Navigation was one of the busiest and most profitable canal schemes, for nowadays there is little to disturb the serenity of this attractive waterway, heading upstream on the River Trent soon to reach Shardlow – one of the country’s finest Georgian canal villages.

Trent Mill will delight you, with its graceful central arch which permitted boats to enter into the building for loading and unloading, whilst stunning views across the Trent Valley draw the boater on towards Burton, the home of British Brewing.

Passing the village of Branston (home of the famous pickle!), the circuit is completed following the Coventry canal. Don’t miss the opportunity for a detour along the lock free Ashby canal to Bosworth Field where the War Of The Roses reached its climax with Richard III’s defeat at the hands of Henry Tudor.

Not To Be Missed

Foxton Locks, Leicestershire; a stunning staircase of ten locks draws many visitors.

Rugby; a market town inextricably linked, as one would expect, with the famous school of the same name, and the game. Museums for both are well worth a visit.

Leicester; the multi-million pound ‘Waterside Challenge’ has regenerated the canal through Leicester, and a mooring at the castle gardens is recommended

The parts of the route that I have seen are lovely. Braunston is pretty, if a little busy at the height of summer, and the Coventry canals is largely rural I think, along with the Ashby.

I am sure that others wil be able to help.

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Jon

Not actually done the whole ring but Coventry canal bit is fairly rural so is the oxford canal bit and the GU Leicester section is excellent to Kilby Bridge (as far as we have been). :lol:

Leicester is reknowned for being bandit country but we have never been as far as that but most people seem to reccomend going through in 1 day and not mooring overnight. :)

Ashby canal is excellent, well recomended. :lol:

The Four Counties is an ideal ring to cruise in a week, no inner city stretches, almost entirely rural.

I assume you are based in the midlands area, why not post a few post a few personal detail, be as vague as you wish, just your county would help.

Edited by John Orentas

The Four Counties is an ideal ring to cruise in a week, no inner city stretches, almost entirely rural.

I assume you are based in the midlands area, why not post a few post a few personal detail, be as vague as you wish, just your county would help.

Actually John, we're almost as near France as dear old Staffordshire and the Midlands. For though I was born in Stoke my parents decamped - no pun intended - to Brighton when I was but a babe. That being said I used to spend most of my hols billeted on my gran in Longton - the delights of an outside privvy and invading daddy longlegs did prepare me in part for my first experience with a canal boat loo!

:) Back to the original topic :lol:

I reccomend those canals in the east midlands ring!! - we've cruised them a couple of times on our boat and we find them nice and rural (in most places anyway)

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me some advice on Leicester? i.e. safe moorings, or rush on through! Is the area known for any 'stone throwers'

I'm intending to return via the Leicester section after the boat show in May.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone give me some advice on Leicester?  i.e. safe moorings, or rush on through! Is the area known for any 'stone throwers'

I'm intending to return via the Leicester section after the boat show in May.

We went thru' last June, not a nice place at all, we got held up for about an hour while the council cleared one of the locks of pallets and shopping trollies, also had stones thrown at us.

My advise is to go with another boat, start early morning and keep going to the other side.and on no account moor overnight, the yobs have a habit of cutting your ropes in the night.

ps should take you between 8 & 10 hours to cross.

• 3 weeks later...
Our family of four are hoping to take a two week trip on the canals around the May Bank Holiday. Having had a splendid couple of holidays with two friends some years back - the Cheshire Ring in a week was one of 'em - we'd been waiting for our two lads (13 and 11)  to get to an age where they'd get the most out of a canal holiday. We ventured out with them onto the Llangollen last year and they had a such grand time helping out, sketching, playing games etc that they want to go again!

This year our eyes alighted upon a Black Prince route called the 'East Midlands Ring'. Although it appears to skirt places like Stoke, Leicester and Coventry they say "Most of this route is very rural and quiet". As we have suffered the occasional bout of stone throwing in really built up areas etc I'd be grateful on your opinions as to the general character of the route and any places you think we'd be silly to miss. All tips gratefully received as we hope to book very shortly. One shorter alternative might be the "Four Counties' in a week? Many thanks!

Dear Major

Although you are now commited to your Leicester Ring trip in May I have just joined this webring to assure you that the more positive emails you have received are much truer to the fact than the negative. I live in Leicester and are proactive in promoting and trying to make the canal a safe place as a council officer and a resident plus being an active member of the Narrow Boat Trust. Castle Gardens are fine for mooring but its not very rural. The best place for a quiet night is near Kings Lock (Aylestone Locks) where Tony and Julie of the Kings Lock Tea Rooms (open 11am 5pm Weds to Sun) have made their peace with the few local youth and no-one has had any problems. The stone throwing might have had been in the brief Wigston area -just don't do this bit after 11am during school hols, if stone throwing gets your goat, as it seems with Jollyroger. The waterside in Leicester is going under a lot of redevelopment (Developers have just discovered the financial advantages of water in their plans!) but on the whole it's visually interesting and reasonably green most of the way and if you are friendly to the natives they are usually friendly back ( some boaters are the most beligerent buggers I know so hence the problems they encounter) If you wish to know more please email

Roger t' Bodger :(

I'm going to Crick via River Soar and Leicester section, plans revised to do this on the way while the schools are still in. It's good to hear positive comments about areas normally associated with bad ones.