All singing and dancing telly are they ok

jactomtroub

Featured Posts

We need a new telly for our narrowboat and are considering a 12v LCD with freeview. We have seen some advertised with CD DVD MP3 and all and wondered if anyone has one and how good/reliable they are or wether we would be better with just a telly.

We only have an omni ariel but this is not permanently fixed to the boat so we can move it around or pole mount it if we have to.

As the cost of a 'do it all telly' is a fair amount we would like so advise before parting with our hard earned cash!

Thanks Jac B)

We need a new telly for our narrowboat and are considering a 12v LCD with freeview. We have seen some advertised with CD DVD MP3 and all and wondered if anyone has one and how good/reliable they are or wether we would be better with just a telly.

We only have an omni ariel but this is not permanently fixed to the boat so we can move it around or pole mount it if we have to.

As the cost of a 'do it all telly' is a fair amount we would like so advise before parting with our hard earned cash!

Thanks Jac B)

I had one. It's irritating when a part of it breaks. I now stick to separates. Throwing a broken 20 quid DVD player in the skip doesn't hurt so much.

Gibbo

We had one with built-in DVD, it broke.

We've now got TV with built in Freeview, but are using an external DVD player. The TV is less likely to break, and players are getting cheaper all the time.

Haven't got time to find the link now, sorry, but search for 'Swisstec' as I've posted about that recently.

Hi

I use my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens amilo). It has a 15” wide screen which I find suitable in the boat. Connected to this is an AVerTV USB freeview digi box.

With the software that came with the AVerTV you can record straight to the hard drive and as the laptop has a DVD burner I can then, if I wish, transfer it to a DVD.

So in short I have digital TV & Radio, a DVD, MP3 and CD player/burner and a computer all in one. Only using one power supply.

Edit to add link To AVerTV

Edited by NB Phoenix

Can't speak for (or against) the product but I'd be very cautious about buying from ebuyer: their returns procedure is byzantine, and in my experience, even if you do succeed in getting a replacement unit it won't work either!

Stick to a 'real' store, then at least if the device goes to ratchet you can complain in person, and embarrass the manager if necessary...

Can't speak for (or against) the product but I'd be very cautious about buying from ebuyer: their returns procedure is byzantine, and in my experience, even if you do succeed in getting a replacement unit it won't work either!

Stick to a 'real' store, then at least if the device goes to ratchet you can complain in person, and embarrass the manager if necessary...

Online buying is cheaper , but returning a product is more complicated.

thats purely a matter of choice, we arent exactly breaking new ground here...

There are very few true low voltage units around and some of those a couple years ago were very cheap and nasty.

We now use THESE and they seem to be good so far. They do a 17" but it costs a bit more still.

They aren't the cheapest but do seem to be of a far better quality than some of the others we have fitted.

Hi

I use my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens amilo). It has a 15” wide screen which I find suitable in the boat. Connected to this is an AVerTV USB freeview digi box.

With the software that came with the AVerTV you can record straight to the hard drive and as the laptop has a DVD burner I can then, if I wish, transfer it to a DVD.

So in short I have digital TV & Radio, a DVD, MP3 and CD player/burner and a computer all in one. Only using one power supply.

Edit to add link To AVerTV

This my choice too, I find it the best compromise in terms of cost , space, praticality, security and power usage.

However not everybody feels at ease in front of a pc and plenty resent having to boot a pc up in order to watch telly or listen to the radio.

In my experience my laptop is more power hungry than the LCD TV, Freeview box and DVD player TOGETHER. You can hear the inverter whirring loudly when you plug it in. So I won't be resorting to one of those cards for TV myself - although I have bought one to record TV with!

Digital USB

In my experience my laptop is more power hungry than the LCD TV, Freeview box and DVD player TOGETHER. You can hear the inverter whirring loudly when you plug it in. So I won't be resorting to one of those cards for TV myself - although I have bought one to record TV with!

Digital USB

Strange... Our 1800W inverter is hardly troubled by the by the Sony 17" widescreen beastie we have, infact it and the signal booster run quite happily off the small 25quid 150w tesco's inverter we bought the other month.

Sony Vaio Laptop's damn good XP mediaCenter (new ones will be vista) 1GB ram, 160GB HDD, hybrid (analogue and digital) TV tuner built in 17" HD (1440x900) widescreen DVD rewriter SD/Memorystick slot for camera remote control.. put it in a bag hide it in a cupboard or if we're leaving the boat - one thing to pack up and take home. Not cheap though over 1K, but brilliant. we copy stuff from the home system onto it to watch if we're sat on the boat at night... came with loads of free photo/movie editing software as well..

Simes.

Must just be my (Acer) laptop then! Probably not a very efficient 12v power unit.

You should find the power consumption details on the back of the laptop.

For ref I have a Dell D800 to hand and that draws 5amps/20 volts

You should find the power consumption details on the back of the laptop.

For ref I have a Dell D800 to hand and that draws 5amps/20 volts

Didn't know that, mine reads 19V/4.7amps for what its worth !!