Braunston Historic Boat Gathering - This Weekend

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

It's notes from the at least 2013... I altered ours last year after information from a number of knowledgable sources. Was not included.

i guess it's down to us to point it out in person if we want a better description. It's a hard job frequently he has to spot the boat and then find the boat on his list. Easy with president...... ( bells shouting ....crash..bells shouting etc) harder with common herd on gu boats..

I think some commentators like the sound of their own voice more than taking time to learn facts. Time consuming it may be, but it should be essential to collect information either from up to date entry forms, or from the crews on the day or immediately prior to. Just another reason I don't attend. I was a 'forriner' to the cut myself once (am again), and it seems to be populated by show offs and know-alls who know little. But with a few exceptions, few of us know carrying for a living any more than few of us work steam engines on the roads for a living. Better we see some boats than none at all I guess, but getting it right is also better than getting it wrong.

• Greenie 1

I think the explanation is simple. There is a tendency in non-owners of historic boats (or anything) to think their history is cast in stone and never changes. So the ring binder full of pocket folders the commentator uses only gets updated when a new boat is entered.

I suspect each time we update our own boat details with each entry each year, no-one reads the update, they simply see a history page for the boat already in the pocket and assume it is the same, when it probably isn't. It's a fair amount of work to take 100+ history pages out of the pocket folder and replace them with this year's entry description pages, and often the WILL be the same.

Well certainly the tired old joke about Harland and Wolff having built the Titanic is trotted out at least once in every parade.

We updated Sickle's notes this year, but as it was ultimately unable to attend, I have no idea if they would have used a revised or old copy.

Last year Flamingo turned out to be booked in by them as Flamenco!

I think I'd like to speak up for the commentator, Norman.  It's a pretty thankless task and I certainly wouldn't want to stand on the bridge for hours on end.

The answer is for boaters to hand him a revised information sheet on the day.  Don't rely on an update being transferred from your application form.

Also remember that the commentator has only time for a few points.  Wading through masses of information and extracting just a few sentences must be tricky.

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I think I'd like to speak up for the commentator, Norman.  It's a pretty thankless task and I certainly wouldn't want to stand on the bridge for hours on end.

The answer is for boaters to hand him a revised information sheet on the day.  Don't rely on an update being transferred from your application form.

Also remember that the commentator has only time for a few points.  Wading through masses of information and extracting just a few sentences must be tricky.

That's a good idea.

I've always submitted just a few sentences, specifically drafted so they can be read out loud in about 30 seconds, and Norman usually reads them verbatim. I'm pretty sure this year he was using the submission I made on my first year of entry. Perhaps he was using an old book. 

I seem to remember 2 or 3 years ago 'they' were looking for a new commentator as the guy presently doing it was wanting to hang up his microphone. If my memory is correct nobody suitable came forwardand that is why he has carried on doing it.

Perhaps those criticising would like to offer to do the job? Or even assist on the day by handing the correct sheets prior to the boats arrival in view?

• Greenie 1

On 25/06/2017 at 20:39, IanM said:

Steerer was a bit rubbish though wasn't he :P

Steerer not looking too rubbish in this clip, if it works, Ian......

EDIT:  It seems you need to click on the picture to be able to see the brief video it relates to........

Braunston Historic canal boat rally. 2017.

Edited by alan_fincher

9 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Well said Jim 

22 hours ago, junior said:

I seem to remember 2 or 3 years ago 'they' were looking for a new commentator as the guy presently doing it was wanting to hang up his microphone. If my memory is correct nobody suitable came forwardand that is why he has carried on doing it.

Perhaps those criticising would like to offer to do the job? Or even assist on the day by handing the correct sheets prior to the boats arrival in view?

Unfortunately it is not that straight forward, hence I have only attended three times in the past ten years.

Although I was not able to attend Braunston this year I have taken the opportunity to 'catch up' by watching video's on YouTube, although there are very few for this years event.

What particularly interested me was a snippet of JAGUAR with what sounds like a multi cylinder engine, and looks like water cooled by the continuous flow of water being ejected from the engine room. Can anybody confirm this and what the current engine is / when it was fitted as the last time I saw it on the move a single cylinder Bolinder 15hp was in place (the last time I saw JAGUAR was August 2006 when it was at Brinklow having a new cabin and engine room) :captain:

16 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Although I was not able to attend Braunston this year I have taken the opportunity to 'catch up' by watching video's on YouTube, although there are very few for this years event.

What particularly interested me was a snippet of JAGUAR with what sounds like a multi cylinder engine, and looks like water cooled by the continuous flow of water being ejected from the engine room. Can anybody confirm this and what the current engine is / when it was fitted as the last time I saw it on the move a single cylinder Bolinder 15hp was in place (the last time I saw JAGUAR was August 2006 when it was at Brinklow having a new cabin and engine room) :captain:

I believe, (but am not sure) that Jaguar for a while has sported a multi-cylinder Bolinder engine like the 105x series, but how may cylinders I'm not sure.

I'm hopeless on elapsed time, but I think whatever it is went in maybe 3-ish years ago?

Someone will know more than me, I'm sure!

Linda is the latest of Malcolm's fleet to have had a steel engine room and cabin put on at Brinklow, I think, (completed within last year, but towed awa as a shell).  I've no idea what the engine plans are for that - it didn't have one at Brinklow.

17 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Thank you Mr Fincher.

I must admit I was thinking Bolinder 1053 or 1113, but it would be great to get further confirmation :captain:

Having dug around a bit more, I think a Bolinder 1113 BR went in (probably!) late 2014.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So what happened to the Bolinder 15hp removed? 

I bet it wasn't weighed in for scrap!

Perhaps you are not the only person who can repeatedly knacker a hot bulb engine! :lol:

• Greenie 1