Keel Paint

dockgateman

Featured Posts

Just been phoning round marinas for pricing boat blacking hull and one marina was telling me about a new product out about 2 years ago

called Keel Paint, I never heard of it?  he tell me after you prep your hull for painting like you do for blacking this keel paint easy to apply

and better that the bitchium stuff I been using, you can apply as many coats as you like, it last a lot longer too, as good as 2 pack paint

Has any one use this product and what your opinion on it.

Dockgate

Probably Keel Black - do a search on here to find out more. Sounds to me as if the marina had swallowed the publicity hook line and sinker and then added a bit more.

If it is Keel Black then it is till bitumen based so hydrocarbons in the water is likely to dissolve it.

I doubt it is significantly more impact/abrasion resistant than any of the other makes of modified bitumen blacking products.

Do a search!!!!

I have 15l ready to apply this summer, I very much doubt it is as good as 2 pack but apparently it is really easy and quick to apply. The hull does not need to be dry when it is applied.

Sitting here looking at my neighbours boat that was done 5 months ago, looks fine from here, only time will tell. Loddon is going in next month to be done, the secret is in the preparation you do need a decent drying time for the Fertan and any residual must be washed off. I will report back in 2019 after my next blacking.........

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Sitting here looking at my neighbours boat that was done 5 months ago, looks fine from here, only time will tell. Loddon is going in next month to be done, the secret is in the preparation you do need a decent drying time for the Fertan and any residual must be washed off. I will report back in 2019 after my next blacking.........

Both of which completely go against the original marketing and instructions for use.

33 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Both of which completely go against the original marketing and instructions for use.

do they?  don't know where I got that info from then.........maybe I'm imagining things in my old age.......mind you it can't do any harm.

Ah from the web instructions.

Old steel surfaces should be pressure washed clean, all marine growth removed and freed of flaking 
material with a scraper. Heavy rust should be wire-brushed or ground back to bare steel then 
primed with Fertan in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and the chemical reaction 
allowed to work for 24 hours. Any residue from the Fertan must be washed off before Keelblack is 
applied. On painted surfaces previously treated with bituminous paint or 2-pack epoxy, ensure all 
flaking paint is removed where possible and flatted back. If the type of previous coating is unknown, 
a small test area should be tried to check that there is no reaction between it and Keelblack. 
Keelblack will flow between old paint and the steel and can help to re-bond previous coats of 
bitumastic to the hull but Keelblack applied over flaking paintwork may detach

Edited by Loddon
Instructions

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

... ground back to bare steel then 
primed with Fertan <snip> Any residue from the Fertan must be washed off...

That's why I prefer Vactan to Fertan. You've gone back to bare steel and what's the first thing you do after Fertan treatment? Introduce water to the bare steel.

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That's why I prefer Vactan to Fertan. You've gone back to bare steel and what's the first thing you do after Fertan treatment? Introduce water to the bare steel.

But you're not introducing water to bare steel- after 24 hours the fertan has converted any rust and adhered to the steel as a primer! 

33 minutes ago, Punk Stig said:

But you're not introducing water to bare steel- after 24 hours the fertan has converted any rust and adhered to the steel as a primer! 

Ahh, okay. Like Vactan then. I was equating it with an acid-only product. My bad. 

5 hours ago, dockgateman said:

Just been phoning round marinas for pricing boat blacking hull and one marina was telling me about a new product out about 2 years ago

called Keel Paint, I never heard of it?  he tell me after you prep your hull for painting like you do for blacking this keel paint easy to apply

and better that the bitchium stuff I been using, you can apply as many coats as you like, it last a lot longer too, as good as 2 pack paint

Has any one use this product and what your opinion on it.

Dockgate

Maybe a read of all this thread 

We use a considerable amount of keelblack at our workshop. Due to previous opinions and insults on this forum when I've tried to help, I'm not prepared to discuss this publicly, if anyone wants info about what we've found, please feel free to pm me.

Andy B

• Greenie 1

I came across keel black on here. Talked to the maker. Used it 2 months ago, easy peasy to apply. Used fertan first as advised by maker. 

The one thing that didn't work, I was told to use the large open pore foam rollers, they very quickly stopped rolling, bitumen build up in the plastic "bearings". So I reverted to paint pads, they worked a treat. I am happy with it, it's a harder surface than traditional bitumen.

Edited by Jim Riley

11 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I am happy with it, it's a harder surface than traditional bitumen.

If it's better than most of the bitumen based blacking usually applied to canal boats then that can only be a good thing. However...

This is likely to be a load of old cobblers...

On 2017-6-20 at 16:56, dockgateman said:

...as good as 2 pack paint

Edited by blackrose

I applied it last year over Zinger it is in my case purely a cosmetic thing I used short haired brushes and it took 45 mins to do a 12 x57 wide beam up the the gunwales! John who has an older boat followed the instructions, and it is looking a lot better one year on than the bitumen he used 2 years previously at the half way point.

I will be taking mine out next year same as John so at that point I will be able to report on how it is doing on my perfik surface against Johns heavily corroded surface, I will be using the keelblack again as the ease of application save hours of work