Brunel's 'lost' bridge

starman

Featured Posts

I've just finished a biography of Brunel and mention is made of a lost iron bridge of his being discovered at Paddington and saved for re-erection. 

There's plenty of stuff on T'internet about a 2006 plan to have it as a footbridge across Paddington Basin (like this) but nothing since. 

Does anyone know more?

2 hours ago, starman said:

I've just finished a biography of Brunel and mention is made of a lost iron bridge of his being discovered at Paddington and saved for re-erection. 

There's plenty of stuff on T'internet about a 2006 plan to have it as a footbridge across Paddington Basin (like this) but nothing since. 

Does anyone know more?

Lots of plans but no money :-(

Tim

Three and a half million pounds to clean up an iron bridge and put it back together? Nice work if you can get it.

It is a pity that it's not been re-erected (I assume it's in pieces in a railway shed somewhere in London) but at least it is still extant.

There were a number of other Brunel bridges spanning canals, these were known as balloon because of their oval shape. There was one across the BCN at Wolverhampton to carry the Wolverhampton Junction Railway over the canal and there was another at Camp Hill on the Warwick & Birmingham that carried the Birmingham & Oxford Junction over the canal.

According to June 2006 Canal & Riverboat, the Paddington Bridge was taken to the English Heritage Yard, Portsmouth (now Historic England). This was done for the restoration to take place. An artists impression for the reconstructed bridge is: 

701901.jpg

"Flowing robes" they're the new 'British' . . that or the artist drawer can't do legs . . or heads (or water).

The Brunel bridge is lurking beneath those plated parapets I believe.

Beford CA van, and a fleet of the plastic cab'd mechanical 'orses, a Cortina (Mk 1), and a Reliant. And by the railway loco nameplate across the back end, I'd guess that might be PEACOCK?

• 1 year later...
On 19/06/2017 at 07:37, starman said:

Does anyone know more?

are you still looking for this bridge ? as I know where it is now if your interested ?

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

are you still looking for this bridge ? as I know where it is now if your interested ?

I'm interested and I expect a few others would be too - pray spill the beans!

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Fort Cumberland, near Portsmouth.

898195485_BrunelBridge.JPG.4b3906d8f15fe111b940b01f1ff6c73c.JPG

1911186332_Brunelbridge.jpg.9c7153989776e4ebf562a2cf6f598c6b.jpg

Very interesting and detailed pdf article about the bridge here: https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/chs/final-chs-vol.20/chs-vol.20-pp.45-to-70.pdf

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1