Narrow Dog

Jak

Featured Posts

I watched the TV programme. I felt sorry for the permanently petrified dog (lurcher?). 

Others that know better than me have said before that it's a really good lesson on what not to do and he was very lucky. 

• Greenie 1

Yes Jak, a really good read - I bought Narrow Dog To Carcassonne when it came out and every couple of years I re-read it with equal pleasure.

From memory, the (recently deceased) dog was a whippet.

Their boat "Phyllis May" caught fire and burned out later.  I think they still have "Phyllis May II", and the original was bought and rebuilt, by whom I don't know, but I remember seeing both occasionally.  As for the writing style, it's like Marmite.  Comparing it to Dan Brown, though, is like comparing the proverbial chalk and camembert.  I only managed 10 pages of 'The Da Vinci Code' before abandoning the stodgy, cliche-ridden nonsense.

Although I have read all three of his books, I did find his style irritating. It seemed to me to be written by somebody who thinks they are wittier than they actually are.  Having said that, there is no doubt he had a very successful career, which came over more in his last book.   I came across Research Associates in my working life, but didn't make the connection with him until I read the book.

• Greenie 1

I would encourage almost anybody to go boating in France, Many canals are under used and quite beautiful. It is really not that hard to do and could be thought of as a natural extension of the British cruising ground. Having said that you really cannot just sail down the Thames and turn right and keep going till you hit France, stick the boat on a lorry and then avoid the big commercial canals, there is not a lot of fun in being bounced around by big and fast ships. We only use them when we have to but there are many smaller canals and boating costs tend to be a lot less.

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Their boat "Phyllis May" caught fire and burned out later.  I think they still have "Phyllis May II", and the original was bought and rebuilt, by whom I don't know, but I remember seeing both occasionally.  As for the writing style, it's like Marmite.  Comparing it to Dan Brown, though, is like comparing the proverbial chalk and camembert.  I only managed 10 pages of 'The Da Vinci Code' before abandoning the stodgy, cliche-ridden nonsense.

I meant this Dan Brown:

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, Bee said:

I would encourage almost anybody to go boating in France, Many canals are under used and quite beautiful.

Oh don't! We've been back only four days and half of me (mentally) is still aboard that pénichette on the Canal de Garonne.

We would typically meet only three or four boats per day coming the other way.