Sump pump constantly running

Gyptian

Featured Posts

Morning all. Woke up this morning to a strange constant sound on the boat. Tracked it down to the engine area under the floor, and realised it was the sump pump. Feelings of dread now washed over me as I quickly removed the flooring , fearing the worst. But there was no water . Thankfully . But the pump wouldn't turn off. Any suggestions as to what to do would be gratefully received.

Dennis

Sounds like a stuck float switch? (which is designed to switch on when the water reaches a certain level)

So 1) remove the relevant fuse 2) see if the switch is blocked in some way 3) if not replace it.

Do you have another switch for manual operation of the bilge pump, eg if the float switch doesn't work or you want manual operation anyway.

Wow thank you both for getting back so quickly . It is automatic and I have switched it off. I will isolate the electrics and have a look and see if I can identify the float switch .Maybei will be able to see if it's stuck.

9 minutes ago, Gyptian said:

Wow thank you both for getting back so quickly . It is automatic and I have switched it off. I will isolate the electrics and have a look and see if I can identify the float switch .Maybei will be able to see if it's stuck.

Some of the newer bilge pumps now have two electrical contacts on the side, rather than a float switch. These are less prone to stick on unless they get wet grease between the two. Then it's just a case of wiping the side with some bog roll/kitchen towel/ workshop towel or whatever.

38 minutes ago, Gyptian said:

Some types have a separate (external) float switch which may be a short distance from the pump, others have the float switch incorporated into the pump housing.

If you can lift the pump out of the bilge without disconnecting it, you can simulate a rising water level by turning it upside down.  If the float is stuck up, as seems likely, you need to clean the muck off it and get it free first.  Make sure the area it sits in is free of grease and debris.

Edited by mross

Thanks for all your replies , I've just got my head out of the bilge and the water around the pump was indeed oily/greasy. The floatswitch was a red plastic piece attached to the side of the pump. Rather than dismantling it I got a bucket of water and an old paint brush and gave it a good clean , also cleaned out the sump. I recently had the engine serviced and that could account for the oily water ,anyway I've put it back in its place and it's now working fine. Thanks for all your help.

Dennis

Point of clarity. Its called a bilge pump and its sits in the - well - bilge. A sump pump could be describing the engine oil drain pump or the pump in the sump box that some unfortunates have as a shower pump.

The area UNDER the engine is known as the engine drip tray and it is to catch oil and fuel drips. It should NOT have a bilge pump in it. If it does I think its a BSS failure but even if not its inviting prosecution for pollution. The bilge pump is positioned to drain the area outside the engine drip tray that should only have clean water in it..

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Point of clarity. Its called a bilge pump and its sits in the - well - bilge. A sump pump could be describing the engine oil drain pump or the pump in the sump box that some unfortunates have as a shower pump.

The area UNDER the engine is known as the engine drip tray and it is to catch oil and fuel drips. It should NOT have a bilge pump in it. If it does I think its a BSS failure but even if not its inviting prosecution for pollution. The bilge pump is positioned to drain the area outside the engine drip tray that should only have clean water in it..

I do not wish to contradict Tony, but, if you put a sump pump in the bilge it becomes a bilge pump.  The term sump pump comes from the first definition of 'sump' https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sump

But I agree with Tony, that on a narrow boat, the sump pump would be fitted on the engine to remove oil.

On eBay, sump pumps will probably be identical to bilge pumps but cheaper!