Replacing a Rinnai Water Heater REU-58E

feralhipichik

Featured Posts

G'day everybody! I currently have a Rinnai Water Heater REU-58E and have found it great :) Never a problem, and super hot water. Unfortunately, it is now not working. The pilot lights up, but nothing happens when I turn the hot water tap on. The temperature control knob was quite stiff, but now just spins around, so maybe something broke in there? :(  I have read a few threads here, trying to find the problem, and an answer. I think, by all accounts, it's probably not worth trying to fix, although I will try descaling, as that has never been done since new. My question is - does anyone know how similar the Morco D61 is, for fitting purposes? and is this still the most recommended? Thanks in advance.

On 11/06/2017 at 15:18, feralhipichik said:

G'day everybody! I currently have a Rinnai Water Heater REU-58E and have found it great :) Never a problem, and super hot water. Unfortunately, it is now not working. The pilot lights up, but nothing happens when I turn the hot water tap on. The temperature control knob was quite stiff, but now just spins around, so maybe something broke in there? :(  I have read a few threads here, trying to find the problem, and an answer. I think, by all accounts, it's probably not worth trying to fix, although I will try descaling, as that has never been done since new. My question is - does anyone know how similar the Morco D61 is, for fitting purposes? and is this still the most recommended? Thanks in advance.

Not very, unfortunately.

I replaced my Rinnai REU-58E about seven or eight years ago with a Morco D61 and the changeover was quite awkward. None of the pipes matched up and the Morco is quite a bit taller. The flue hole in the roof was the right diameter though, but an inch too far from the wall so I mounted the Morco on spacers. At least it wasn't too near the wall though. That would have been far more awkward.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not very, unfortunately.

I replaced my Rinnai REU-58E about seven or eight years ago with a Morco D61 and the changeover was quite awkward. None of the pipes matched up and the Morco is quite a bit taller. The flue hole in the roof was the right diameter though, but an inch too far from the wall so I mounted the Morco on spacers. At least it wasn't too near the wall though. That would have been far more awkward.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Thanks for the welcome :) and the info, even though it was bad news lol... not sounding good for the changeover. I wouldn't trust doing it myself, so hoping I can find someone competent in the local area. You don't know of another decent brand that may be more compatible do you?

On 11/06/2017 at 19:43, feralhipichik said:

Thanks for the welcome :) and the info, even though it was bad news lol... not sounding good for the changeover. I wouldn't trust doing it myself, so hoping I can find someone competent in the local area. You don't know of another decent brand that may be more compatible do you?

What local area would that be then??

The Morco is pretty much the only show in town these days, if you want an open flue, non electric, instantaneous gas water heater. 

I have a feeling the 30-year-discontinued Paloma might be an easy swap though. A highly regarded water heater and usually two or three for sale on ebay.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What local area would that be then??

The Morco is pretty much the only show in town these days, if you want an open flue, non electric, instantaneous gas water heater. 

I have a feeling the 30-year-discontinued Paloma might be an easy swap though. A highly regarded water heater and usually two or three for sale on ebay.

I'm near Bidford on Avon

Is this the Paloma model you are referring to? PH-5-3F - I see a few of them on eBay.

On 11/06/2017 at 20:18, feralhipichik said:

I'm near Bidford on Avon

Is this the Paloma model you are referring to? PH-5-3F - I see a few of them on eBay.

Yes that's the one. 

If you buy one make sure it comes with the flue hood accessory or you won't be able to install it with a flue. They were originally designed as flueless appliances before everyone got paranoid about CO poisoning.

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes that's the one. 

If you buy one make sure it comes with the flue hood accessory or you won't be able to install it with a flue. They were originally designed as flueless appliances before everyone got paranoid about CO poisoning.

Thanks for the info. I'm still not decided... I'd rather go for a brand new one if it wasn't for the difficult swap over. I'm not in a rush anyways, I'm away at work at the moment.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Daveybob said:

Did you ever get a replacement. My rinnaia has exactly the same problem . Wondering what the outcome was 

I think I've got a Rinnai manual on the boat - I'll nip down and have a look asap. I think all the knob does is regulate the water flow - you're sure it's not just the bit of knob that grips the metal shaft thats broken? 

The other complication now is that it seems that it is virftually impossible to buy a new Morco D61.

(Though I think someone on the forum was offering one they had bought but not used at a good price recently?).