morco d61b pilot pain

cutsurfer

Featured Posts

Hope someone may have a little more experience with morco boilers. I have just had one installed and the pilot is infuriatingly stubborn to light. I know It suggests depressing the gas knob for a while but it gasses my whole back cabin out and after countless turns still wont light, until, suddenly after I leave it, give up, go back, try again, give up and eventually try again it will.

I just wondered if they are always this stubborn or if there may be a problem, as said, I've tried holding the gas knob in but it stinks the cabin out and also the hob lights instantly so there seems to be no air in the system, any advice hugely appreciated :).

On 10/06/2017 at 21:35, cutsurfer said:

Hope someone may have a little more experience with morco boilers. I have just had one installed and the pilot is infuriatingly stubborn to light. I know It suggests depressing the gas knob for a while but it gasses my whole back cabin out and after countless turns still wont light, until, suddenly after I leave it, give up, go back, try again, give up and eventually try again it will.

I just wondered if they are always this stubborn or if there may be a problem, as said, I've tried holding the gas knob in but it stinks the cabin out and also the hob lights instantly so there seems to be no air in the system, any advice hugely appreciated :).

Yours has a fault. 

Both of mine light on the first click. Who fitted it? Did they leave it like this??!!

Was s/he qualified to install gas appliances on boats? 

If yes, how do you know?

I don't know this boiler in particular but is it a piezo igniter? If so then the igniter could require replacement, they occasionally die. Alternatively the electrode could be dirty, bent, or in the incorrect position. 

Sorry, I just read Mike's reply then re-read the OP. I missed that it was new. I suggest you get the installer back to sort it out. 

Ah that's not good to hear, I did contact the fitter who I had recommended by a local chandlery, I've only paid for materials cost so far ( just enough to cover boiler really). Since the fitter asked for my details to send an invoice I asked them about the problem and haven't had a reply since, nor an invoice either. Its a brand new unit so it did seem strange to have to twist and click it so dam much. I guess I should attempt to get him to come sort it (?) that's if he replies, thanks for the advice as I wasn't sure if they were just very stubborn.

On 10/06/2017 at 22:45, WotEver said:

I don't know this boiler in particular but is it a piezo igniter? If so then the igniter could require replacement, they occasionally die. Alternatively the electrode could be dirty, bent, or in the incorrect position. 

Sorry, I just read Mike's reply then re-read the OP. I missed that it was new. I suggest you get the installer back to sort it out. 

Which is why I asked if he is qualified.

If he is a chancer it is likely he is clueless about how to fix the fault, or might not even realise it IS a fault...

Maybe I have been a bit daft here but as he was recommended by the chandlery who are also party of a big brokerage (without naming it) and understood he did work for them, id assumed he must be kosher and didn't actually check, perhaps he is, the slow replies are making me bit suspicious however, I have only parted with 300quid for the boiler, chimney vent unit and installation so far though.

spot on I will check his name in the register. He said he didn't mind either way so we agreed he could pick it up at no extra charge, it was in its packaging, I have since asked for a receipt when I suspected the pilot wasn't quite right but still waiting for the reply as yet.

Had a browse, can't seem to find the chaps name or business name on the gas register, though interestingly he does apparently visit the brokerage to check gas work off so id assume perhaps the business name has changed. Interestingly I found an old post on here recommending him, maybe he's just forgetful and needs hounding a bit, but not exactly convenient.

On 11/06/2017 at 00:37, cutsurfer said:

Had a browse, can't seem to find the chaps name or business name on the gas register, though interestingly he does apparently visit the brokerage to check gas work off so id assume perhaps the business name has changed. Interestingly I found an old post on here recommending him, maybe he's just forgetful and needs hounding a bit, but not exactly convenient.

Businesses are registered, and each operative working for that business also has to be individually registered. 

Checking the GSR site though, I see you can only check an individual engineer if you now the name of the business he works for. I'm sure one used to be able to search directly by operative name but not any longer, it appears.

So yes, you need to find out the name of the business that he works for (for us self employed solo bods GSR use our own name as the business name unless we say otherwise). 

On 10/06/2017 at 21:35, cutsurfer said:

Ok lets ignore the tangential discussion about whether the installer was qualified, and address the fault.

Well no lets not ignore it quite yet, there is one more thing to mention. An open flue appliance in a sleeping area (if you mean a traditional back cabin with bed) is a really bad idea, and illegal in a house, but that's another issue. (It might fail a BSS too, but I'm not sure BSS bother about open flue appliances in sleeping areas, preferring to concentrate on trivia like labels on filler caps.)

Anyway the fact it gasses your back cabin out tells us the igniter doesn't work as WotEver said. As a workaround try poking a match or taper in through the viewing window. Just turn the knob to the pilot position and hold it in then light the match and put it in. You'll need three hands for this obviously, so one of those extended lighters sold in supermarkets would be better. The pilot will probably light immediately.

You might find a phone call to Morco helpful too, if the installer is being difficult. I'm rather surprised he left it like this though. Pretty irresponsible in my opinion.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

9 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

10 years on, I still haven't replaced the battery.

You might find the terminals slightly corroded...

Being more serious, battery igniters die too - I had to replace one on a Valor gas fire at home last year. 

Simply checked, whatever type it is - is there a spark?

Thankyou for all the advice, I haven't been back to the boat just yet and will be able yo have a poke around and try these things when I return. Nothing really 'should' have corroded as the unit is new. Just to clarify ( should have stated this earlier) my back cabin as such has been converted to kitchen with an engine sitting at the back, it's a curious setup but not a bedroom. Thanks again for the advice, i will need to try and contact the guy again, I wouldn't mind if he also doesn't invoice me as id get it sorted elsewhere but I will try and get in contact with him as I haven't yet had a receipt for the unit.

31 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Haven't bothered doing anything with it. It lights first time with a sparker through the sight hole. Not worth the bother.

Sorry, I was aiming the question at the OP. 

• 2 months later...

Hello all, just to tie up a few loose ends with this. The chap in question did turn out to be legit, he was just pretty slow at replies and I had to chase a bit but talking to him after he apologised and did have every intention of sorting the issue.

So what was it....a bit of crap on the end of the pietzo (sp?) ignition, though I didn't want to take this apart myself even though it turned out to be really simple. So all's well that ends well, thanks very much for the good advice as per usual :-)