Pump keeps cycling in

Featured Posts

At wits end and looking for inspiration. Have a Whale Watermaster 1214B  which has been working well. It has now started cycling in every few minutes. I have checked all taps, prv, etc and there are no leakages on outlet side. Have serviced the pump after speaking to Whale, no change. Have also tried another pump whic h I know is working fine, it still cycles in! Any ideas PLEASE

1 minute ago, umpire111 said:

At wits end and looking for inspiration. Have a Whale Watermaster 1214B  which has been working well. It has now started cycling in every few minutes. I have checked all taps, prv, etc and there are no leakages on outlet side. Have serviced the pump after speaking to Whale, no change. Have also tried another pump whic h I know is working fine, it still cycles in! Any ideas PLEASE

My money is on you having a leak somewhere in the boats plumbing after the pump, it could be almost anywhere.

14 minutes ago, Billy Boy said:

Acumilator diaphragm, if you have one.

How can that make it cycle, alter the frequency to a degree, yes, but not make it suddenly start cycling.

I go with the goat as a first check as the OP has serviced the pump so we can assume (I hope) he rebuilt it properly so the valves are all sealing.

• Greenie 1

That is exactly what you will find if you have an internal or external leak. A calorifier leak will ether fill the bilge if its external or cause the engine or central heating header tank to overflow if its internal (Unless you have a domestic type pressurised heating system).

A leak on the toilet flush will only fill the holding tank or cassette more quickly and until the tank/cassette is full will not fill the bilge.

17 minutes ago, mark99 said:

How can it not be a leak?

Indeed, it can't not be. Obviously it's somewhere obscure, like the loo flush valve weeping into the pan as Tony B suggested, but wherever it is it's a leak. 

The water is going to one of three places; the bilge, overboard or back to the fresh water tank.  It could be very hard to find a leak into the bilge.  It could be a galley tap or showerhead dripping - it does not take much.  Another possibility is that the accumulator has lost its air, in which case the slighest drip will cause a big pressure drop and start the pump.

Can you isolate tank from pump (inlet side of pump) and see if this stops the cycling. A (recently) previous thread poster found that this identified that the pump valves were allowing some back flow to the tank.

1 hour ago, IDS said:

Can you isolate tank from pump (inlet side of pump) and see if this stops the cycling. A (recently) previous thread poster found that this identified that the pump valves were allowing some back flow to the tank.

I was going to suggest the same thing but OP stated that a new pump exhibits the same problem. Unless the new pump had the same fault of course. 

9 hours ago, IDS said:

Will try that, thanks