Lister engine mechanic needed

tstore

Featured Posts

I took Crosby out for the first time on Wednesday for a short cruise. The engine overheated, coolant squirted out the header tank and then cut out. After a few minutes it started again and I managed to get back to Marina but really worried there is something wrong with engine. I did find a lot of weed, rope and plastic around the prop.

I need to travel from Aldridge to Tipton to have the hull painted next weekend but not sure this is sensible now.

Does anyone know a good mechanic in the area (Aldridge Marina) who might be able to help me please?

Thanks

Ok, not what I was expecting - not an LPW of some kind

The least damaging and most likely thing is you've got a water leak. If the water level gets too low, circulation stops and the engine boils the water. So first off, top up the water, start the engine and then keep topping up while the engine shifts air. Have a look around for leaks, go boating checking the level from time to time and go carefully

Another possibility - is this a raw water cooled engine? Is it drawing in water from the canal to cool the engine then dumping the water overboard? If so, check to see if the water inlet is blocked

If it is raw water cooled and the inlet is clear, is water coming out the outlet? If not, you may have thrown all the blades of the Jabsco pump rotor

There's three things to try. I think we have the Jabsco rotors in stock

Richard

I think the engine generally needs some attention as very difficult to start and smokes a lot all the time. Noticed that after it overheated smoke was whitish instead of black. There also seemed to be oil in engine tray which was there before I went out. Could the engine overheating lead to oil escaping? I topped up the oil and none appeared to leaking out after?

If coolant has escaped into the engine undertray when the engine overheated,  then any oil already in the tray will float on top, making it look as though there is a lot of oil in the undertray. 

No coolant leaked into the tray it may leaked into the main bilge area. There was definitely some oil in the tray that was not there before as I when I took delivery of the boat the whole bilge was flooded and I drained and cleaned it. 

Could I start, topping with coolant and monitor temp and smoke in neutral or should I take her for a little cruise to test properly?

She started relatively easily yesterday without easystart for the first time but presume this is because its getting warmer. However smoke was whitish but I did not leave running long as was worried so she did not get up to temp.

Appreciate you taking time to give me some advice?

1 hour ago, tstore said:

No coolant leaked into the tray it may leaked into the main bilge area. There was definitely some oil in the tray that was not there before as I when I took delivery of the boat the whole bilge was flooded and I drained and cleaned it. 

Could I start, topping with coolant and monitor temp and smoke in neutral or should I take her for a little cruise to test properly?

She started relatively easily yesterday without easystart for the first time but presume this is because its getting warmer. However smoke was whitish but I did not leave running long as was worried so she did not get up to temp.

Appreciate you taking time to give me some advice?

The head joints - plain steel ring + steel shims - on the water cooled variants of the H & S air cooled ranges have a tendency to blow due to heat shrinkage and distortion adjacent to the exhaust ports. The hot gases then frazzle the rubber ring seals on the block to head water passages.  Water loss then causes the engine run hotter and that induces oil leaks from round the valve gear area of the heads - sometimes down the two internal head studs/nuts under the rocker covers. If you're lucky this could be the cause - if you're out of luck it could be a cracked head, or heads !

I suggest you ring Tony Dunkley on 07553 294325 - he's got more than half a Century of 'living' with Listers under his belt, running, maintaining and overhauling them in boats and plant.

Edited by PhilAtterley

A far less scary scenario than some above is air in the skin tank. It quite often happens if the boat hasn't been used for a while.

There will be a bleed valve, nut or screw at the top of the tank somewhere, loosen it off and wait for liquid to appear, if it hisses for a while first, this has probably solved your problem.

26 minutes ago, sharpness said:

Doesn't that have some bearing on the problem?

Steve

A lot more than glazed bores, cracked gaskets and EasiStart. 

Trying to force an engine to continue at a certain speed when you have a prop full of crap will accentuate any cooling system issues very quickly.

Once you know your boat, you can tell very quickly when you have a prop full and stop to rectify before it becomes an issue.