Top of Wigan

Travis

Featured Posts

Here we are at the top of Wigan flight and for the first time in years the sun is out for us while we go down.We arrived yesterday afternoon and had a meal in the Kirkless pub and then just sat out till late, lovely evening.

The Skipton-based hotelboat has already set down off with another narrowboat, maybe they're trying to get down before the heat of the mid-day sun.

We will be setting of when our team get here, probably around nine.There's no rush as we are only going down to the dry-dock for docking tomorrow.

Anyone know of a decent pub near Wigan drydock?

Andy

Here we are at the top of Wigan flight and for the first time in years the sun is out for us while we go down.We arrived yesterday afternoon and had a meal in the Kirkless pub and then just sat out till late, lovely evening.

Andy

My Great Grandfather James Paxton had that Pub in about 1890's - I have yet to sort out the Wigan side of the family history.

I have a rag rug Hook that was given to my grandmother by a boatwoman.

The Skipton-based hotelboat has already set down off with another narrowboat, maybe they're trying to get down before the heat of the mid-day sun.

We will be setting of when our team get here, probably around nine.There's no rush as we are only going down to the dry-dock for docking tomorrow.

Anyone know of a decent pub near Wigan drydock?

Andy

The Orwell at Wigan Pier is only a short walk from the dry dock - good food, real ales -shish kebabs to die for.

The Moon on the Water in the centre of Wigan (about 10 minutes walk) has good food and about 8 real ales but it is always busy.

Roger

Got down here about lunchtime,we've moored right outside the drydock, going in tomorrow.

Been laid up since we got here, believe it or not I've caught too much sun! I'm just coming round now....Welcome to Wigan!

I've also taken note of the pub info, cheers Guys.

Andy.

If you are a fan of real ale try the Swan and Railway in Wallgate ( opposite NW Station ).

Steve

Hi Pie (forgive the pun)

But dont use the toilet if you dont buy a pint - they dont like it.

Where is your boat Coccium moored - and where does Coccium come from?

Roger

Hi Roger

We used to be moored at Crooke Marina but moved on to the Bridgewater Canal a few years ago. We are now moored at Outrington on the moorings of Lymm Cruising Club.

Coccium is the name of a Roman fort which was believed to be in the Wigan area.

Steve

Hi Roger

We used to be moored at Crooke Marina but moved on to the Bridgewater Canal a few years ago. We are now moored at Outrington on the moorings of Lymm Cruising Club.

Coccium is the name of a Roman fort which was believed to be in the Wigan area.

Steve

Hi Steve

We will be sailing our new boat "Romance" from Monton, Eccles to Appley Bridge on Friday 22nd June providing the MCA inspections go without a hitch next week.

This brings to an end a difficult and challenging build and I will be pleased to see this boat doing what she was made for - giving hundreds of people pleasure this summer.

If you find yourself on this stretch of the Bridgewater that day give us a wave - there will be a 9 hour celebration party going on!

Roger