Proposed trip to London

Profzarkov

Featured Posts

Hello

We've done one two-month cruise this year (Leics ring plus a spur off to Newark - see blog!) and were planning the second one to venture down south to London with two spurs off to the Lee & Stort. Some boaters have really liked this trip and others pretty much turned off by it & even given up boating! I was keen to ask other boaters who've done this stretch - from Yelvertoft, Norton to Limehouse, what it was like and hopefully some clues as to where to moor.  We've had tips of Willowtree marina plus Battlebridge (£25 a night!) and I know you can get 24 hrs in Limehouse itself but are there any other "avoid" or "try this" we should look at.  I was keen to moor in Battlebridge as I'd like to leave the boat for a few days and take the train to Whitstable to visit my parents - just for the day but other than that, no plans . . . 3 or 4 hours a day usually does for us. Starting end of June . . . no end point!

Cheers

Steve

blog : (see archive for recent trips)  http://vivatek.co.uk/

16 hours ago, Profzarkov said:

Hello

We've done one two-month cruise this year (Leics ring plus a spur off to Newark - see blog!) and were planning the second one to venture down south to London with two spurs off to the Lee & Stort. Some boaters have really liked this trip and others pretty much turned off by it & even given up boating! I was keen to ask other boaters who've done this stretch - from Yelvertoft, Norton to Limehouse, what it was like and hopefully some clues as to where to moor.  We've had tips of Willowtree marina plus Battlebridge (£25 a night!) and I know you can get 24 hrs in Limehouse itself but are there any other "avoid" or "try this" we should look at.  I was keen to moor in Battlebridge as I'd like to leave the boat for a few days and take the train to Whitstable to visit my parents - just for the day but other than that, no plans . . . 3 or 4 hours a day usually does for us. Starting end of June . . . no end point!

Cheers

Steve

blog : (see archive for recent trips)  http://vivatek.co.uk/

As far as I am aware the only bookable moorings in Battlebridge basin is at the canal museum and is £10 per night. We do not however allow the boat to be left unattended except for on some Mondays.

Details here:

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/visit/comebyboat.htm

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Warning thread hijack..... Do they ever answer the bloody phone at LCM? ;)

I've tried 15 times last week and this weekend and left message.

Every time an ansaphone.

Edited by mark99

Generaly any canals/rivers inside the ring of the m25 motorway are to be avoided at all costs. Lovely cruising waterways abide throughout the rest of the country ( see canal plan )

You could take the shortcut down the Dukes Cut to join the Lea. And try to moor near Victoria Park. Normally you will find moorings anywhere up to and including Kensal Green. Decent chance of finding a mooring in Paddington Basin Turn up about 11am.

The only Dukes Cut I know of is the one at Oxford, is there another? Did you mean the Hertford Union?

There are plenty of places available to moor on the towpath as the OP comes down the GU in the western suburbs, it's much less busy there than the Regent's Canal, and there are various places where the OP can get transport into London for Victoria and the trip to Whitstable.

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

The only Dukes Cut I know of is the one at Oxford, is there another? Did you mean the Hertford Union?

There are plenty of places available to moor on the towpath as the OP comes down the GU in the western suburbs, it's much less busy there than the Regent's Canal, and there are various places where the OP can get transport into London for Victoria and the trip to Whitstable.

Ducketts Canal. Ooops.

We've done all of that. Didn't think we'd enjoy it as much as we did! The Lea and Stort are lovely, although some bridges on the Stort are a bit low when there hasn't been enough rain.

There are good and bad bits everywhere on the system. If you don't like the look of a place move further on. The only place we had any bother in the area was at Dobb's Weir, and that's well outside the M25. Someone tried to take the brass fairlead, but didn't manage it. The worst 2 events we've had in 12 years were on the Stratford Canal, again well outside the M25!

In conclusion, go for it!

12 hours ago, mark99 said:

Warning thread hijack..... Do they ever answer the bloody phone at LCM? ;)

I've tried 15 times last week and this weekend and left message.

Every time an ansaphone.

That is very unusual, I was in the museum  yesterday and the Volunteers and I swiftly answered all calls. Our out of hours answerphone is closely monitored as we get many venue hire bookings through it.

Best try during the opening hours, Tuesday through Sunday 10.00am to 4.30pm

Tim

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

As far as I am aware the only bookable moorings in Battlebridge basin is at the canal museum and is £10 per night. We do not however allow the boat to be left unattended except for on some Mondays.

Details here:

Tim

I thought there was "Battlebridge marina"? At the end? I had a reply from Graham Lupson, quoting £25 a night. Obviously only only if one of his permies has gone out on their travels. 

12 hours ago, mark99 said:

You could take the shortcut down the Dukes Cut to join the Lea. And try to moor near Victoria Park. Normally you will find moorings anywhere up to and including Kensal Green. Decent chance of finding a mooring in Paddington Basin Turn up about 11am.

Thanks for that (Hertford Canal?) but was planning to go via Limehouse . . .

3 minutes ago, Profzarkov said:

I thought there was "Battlebridge marina"? At the end? I had a reply from Graham Lupson, quoting £25 a night. Obviously only only if one of his permies has gone out on their travels. 

Actually called Battlebridge moorings but as you say only available when a permanent moorer is out. It is a good location for exploring London with lots of on site and local facilities.

http://www.battlebridgemoorings.co.uk/moorings.htm

Tim

10 hours ago, MaryP said:

We've done all of that. Didn't think we'd enjoy it as much as we did! The Lea and Stort are lovely, although some bridges on the Stort are a bit low when there hasn't been enough rain.

There are good and bad bits everywhere on the system. If you don't like the look of a place move further on. The only place we had any bother in the area was at Dobb's Weir, and that's well outside the M25. Someone tried to take the brass fairlead, but didn't manage it. The worst 2 events we've had in 12 years were on the Stratford Canal, again well outside the M25!

In conclusion, go for it!

Thanks for that. Not sure I follow the logic of low bridges when there's no rain - would have thought the opposite? But understand. Yes, there are dodgy areas everywhere (Burnley, Nottingham even!) it just needs common sense. We tend not to leave the boat unattended much. We'll try and get to the Lee. Can you navigate the Bow Back rivers now? (Is there any point?)

13 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Details here:

Tim

The museum moorings might suit us (well, better price) - how come you don't let them leave the boat? What's the point of mooring there for a day or two??

As I said earlier, we wanted to explore a bit of London and even take a day trip by train to see parents in Whitstable.

You can book 7 day moorings at Rembrant Gardens in Little Venice for £10 per night, see CRT web site. They get booked up quite well in advance.

The Canal Museum only lets you moor overnight, they like their mooring to be available for museum visitors arriving by boat during their opening hours.

We got a 7 day mooring in Paddington Basin. During those 7 days moorings became available quite often. 

We also managed to get the last mooring at Victoria Park, could have stayed 14 days if we'd wanted.

Hackney Marshes was nice but not close to a tube, plenty of buses though.

Horsenden Hill west of London was a good spot to moor. 10 minute walk from Central Line tube.

We also moored at Cowley near Uxbridge.

Make sure you arrive at the busy mooring sites with a full water tank.

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Generally any canals/rivers inside the ring of the m25 motorway are to be avoided at all costs. Lovely cruising waterways abide throughout the rest of the country ( see canal plan )

I have an abiding memory of cruising under the M25 when we repatriated the boat (from Slough) post-purchase. The traffic on the bridge was going even more slowly than the traffic on the canal.

Thanks for all the replies!! Now have to set a date to actually "be" in London - pay Battlebridge up front and then canalplan my way backwards to Yelvertoft allowing a good deal of plus a few days! We tend to only do 3 or 4 hours chugging . . . in no hurry.

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

That is very unusual, I was in the museum  yesterday and the Volunteers and I swiftly answered all calls. Our out of hours answerphone is closely monitored as we get many venue hire bookings through it.

Best try during the opening hours, Tuesday through Sunday 10.00am to 4.30pm

Tim

Ok Tim ta but I did ring yesterday = three times.

I'll keep trying. All I want is to book 14th for the night. I enjoyed our stay there a few weeks ago.  :)

4 minutes ago, Profzarkov said:

Thanks for all the replies!! Now have to set a date to actually "be" in London - pay Battlebridge up front and then canalplan my way backwards to Yelvertoft allowing a good deal of plus a few days! We tend to only do 3 or 4 hours chugging . . . in no hurry.

I suggest you moor opposite Perivale Golf Course the night before you get to Kings Cross = decent mooring albeit a bit shallow. Gives you a nice run into KCross.

3 hours ago, Profzarkov said:

Thanks for that. Not sure I follow the logic of low bridges when there's no rain - would have thought the opposite? But understand. Yes, there are dodgy areas everywhere (Burnley, Nottingham even!) it just needs common sense. We tend not to leave the boat unattended much. We'll try and get to the Lee. Can you navigate the Bow Back rivers now? (Is there any point?)

The museum moorings might suit us (well, better price) - how come you don't let them leave the boat? What's the point of mooring there for a day or two??

As I said earlier, we wanted to explore a bit of London and even take a day trip by train to see parents in Whitstable.

The canal museum mooring is there primarily for the benefit of people visiting the museum and for trip boats. Unattended boats deny visitors this facility. If we can fit overnight mooring in we will.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

5 hours ago, Profzarkov said:

Thanks for that (Hertford Canal?) but was planning to go via Limehouse . . .

We went down the Hertford cut and came back via Limehouse Cut

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Generaly any canals/rivers inside the ring of the m25 motorway are to be avoided at all costs. Lovely cruising waterways abide throughout the rest of the country ( see canal plan )

Yes terrible place keep away...  ;)

http://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/69447-inside-the-m25/#comment-1382201

Edited by mark99

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:17, mark99 said:

Ok Tim ta but I did ring yesterday = three times.

I'll keep trying. All I want is to book 14th for the night. I enjoyed our stay there a few weeks ago.  :)

A certain person has got the wrong digit on the phone............ which rang through to an unknown ansaphone.  :blush:

All sorted now and booked for 14th.

As mentioned above, Kensal is where it starts to get busy but we've been at Paddigton Basin and LV the last two weeks and there were spaces at both the whole time. Be prepared to double moor and to moor away from VMs and if possible it's worth shifting your cruising to weekends when most boaters in London move as that way you'll find a spot before too long in most places (except between LV and Islington). If you can't bear being in the throng then the canals are well connected to the tube and train network in the west and the train network up the Lea.