How do I Transport a narrowboat?

boatbot

Featured Posts

Does anyone know how I can transport my newly acquired narrowbaot (36 Foot) from Burton on Trent to Leighton Buzzard? What I have gathered u have to crane it out put on a lorry of somesort and put it back into the canal-Is this correct and what is the cost? Who does the "hauling"-Is there another way?

Hi Boatbot and welcome to CWF. yes they "crane it out put on a lorry of somesort and put it back into the canal" I dont know how much this would cost for your journey.

Is there another way? Burton on Trent to Leighton Buzzard, erm.. by Canal, takes about 6 days if you dont rush.

Hi Boatbot

Welcome to the forum.

As JohnO says why not take the boat by canal, less traumatic, cannot be dropped from crane or lorry.

There are companies that will take your boat by canal for you (one member on here does it {Nigel Carton})

To sum up:

1. crane, lorry, crane.

2. move it yourself (very enjoyable)

3. get someone else to do it for you.

Happy boating.

Edited by bottle

We moved ours ourselves (Hillmorton to Newark) which took a week, was thoroughly enjoyable and we learned a lot. Comes highly recommended but, if you're a novice, you might want to practice with it a bit first and consider a helmsman's course.

Keith and Karen

We moved ours ourselves (Hillmorton to Newark) which took a week, was thoroughly enjoyable and we learned a lot. Comes highly recommended but, if you're a novice, you might want to practice with it a bit first and consider a helmsman's course.

Keith and Karen

Thanks everyone-Yes hello and well it will be the maiden voyage -I think I will bring it down myself-I have had a day on it-quite tiring really-I had to concentrate with the tiller pulling it the wrong way to what I thought-I dont know how I will get through the locks but I will just have to learn after all I will be living on her for 6 months of the year and the other 6 months in Australia! It is a 36 foot cruiser and I hope will be big enough-It does need work on it and a BSC-If I can bring it down to Leighton Buzzard then I can work on it before we depart in September for Brisbane.

Good decision. We've just moved our new acquisition from Slough to Cheshire in four 'long weekends'. It was as pleasurable an experience as I hoped it would be, but I was glad there were two of us on board (self plus the memsahib). It's not just working the locks, you need someone to brew up (a.m.) and pour beer (p.m.).

Might I suggest you seek a temporary crew member from this forum? There must be several out there willing to help, even for only one 'leg' at a time...

Does anyone know how I can transport my newly acquired narrowbaot (36 Foot) from Burton on Trent to Leighton Buzzard? What I have gathered u have to crane it out put on a lorry of somesort and put it back into the canal-Is this correct and what is the cost? Who does the "hauling"-Is there another way?

Point it at the wet bit just keep going. Remember the prime (and only) rule of navigation "dont hit stuff much"

There are a load of horn signals which you need to know, they are:

One blast - You are a tosser

Two blasts - So is your friend

Three blasts - I am screwing your mom/sister/girlfriend

Four blasts - I am drunk

Watch out for locks, these have now been abandoned by british waterways as unnesesary and ineficient se BW guidelines on getting round locks.

Getting round locks

When a narrowboat needs to travel from one section of canal to another, it is a simple matter of craning it out of the water onto an articulated lorry and then craning it back into the water again. To this end, British Waterways maintain a convenient network of large articulated lorries and cranes, paid for by an annual licence fee.

If as a hirer you come up to a lock and wish to proceed beyond it, simply dial 112 on your mobile phone and ask the operator for "BW lock assistance". Unless you are Kate Bush, in which case you will need to dial a premium rate line based in Tuvalu, where there are no charging limits

Good luck on the trip B)

Getting round locks

When a narrowboat needs to travel from one section of canal to another, it is a simple matter of craning it out of the water onto an articulated lorry and then craning it back into the water again. To this end, British Waterways maintain a convenient network of large articulated lorries and cranes, paid for by an annual licence fee.

Good luck on the trip B)

You may have to do this if you don't have a current licence - BW are operating a "no licence no lock" policy.

Good decision. We've just moved our new acquisition from Slough to Cheshire in four 'long weekends'. It was as pleasurable an experience as I hoped it would be, but I was glad there were two of us on board (self plus the memsahib). It's not just working the locks, you need someone to brew up (a.m.) and pour beer (p.m.).

Who does the am beer pouring?

Might I suggest you seek a temporary crew member from this forum? There must be several out there willing to help, even for only one 'leg' at a time...

Well... that would be nice-Yes it would be good -any volunteers? cheers B)

You may have to do this if you don't have a current licence - BW are operating a "no licence no lock" policy.

Yeah, although unforutnatly their trying to operate it from there armchairs on the third floor of their office block...

If you are looking for someone to deliver your boat for you, for whatever reason, I can recommend a couple who delivered my new 45 footer for me from Rugby to Ely in the Fens. A retired policeman and his policewoman wife. They did an excellent job, had a great time themselves and only accepted beer money and 'out of pocket' expenses. Let me know if you want to get in touch with them. Regards, Gordon