Phil's boat design

Bromleyxphil

Featured Posts

Agree fire is in wrong place, it wants to be where you can't 'fall ' on to it, Central to the length of the boat, 

I have two biggish lockers by my companionway steps, very handy for all sorts of things, one is book case, one is logs, I removed the doors which were on it, and it looks better, but that is in my saloon.

I like my portholes I have six Caldwell Windows and six portholes, bedroom area is cooler, and more secure/private, which is desireable.

My stove has back boiler to small radiator, fed by fat pipes through an airing cupboard, works well.

PS I have a galley like yours, I would prefer a 'E", without the wee bit in the middle, as I feel that it makes the boat feel 'narrow'

PPS I see you have a new design, if it were me, and still no slot booked, you could consider a  second hand boat, the idea is to do boating not to build boats, you can never have a perfect boat, but if you have plenty of time to view second hand boats, fitting out any boat takes a lot longer than you think, and will cost more than you think, a lot more.

PPPS I would go for a swish walkthrough bathroom. A double bed and loose furniture in the saloon, ie small traditional dining table, two chairs, which doubles as a desk,

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Back to protocol don’t even know if this is in the correct section under build blogs.  Admin please move, advise? as appropriate.

Phil

Thank you for asking. As a logical continuation of your topic, it's fine where it is.

Do you have a reason for wanting the woodburner on the right/starboard side?  Since you pass oncoming boats port-to-port, a chimney on that side is more likely to come into conflict with low arch bridges/tunnels, or overhanging vegetation.

Is a washer really necessary on a holiday boat?

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Same page

3093B5FE-F59C-447E-8229-4C817FE2CBB3.jpeg

I think I'd be tempted to mirror image the galley, as the largest bit is the same side as the bed.  It would help trim the boat when you fill up the storage with heavy things, and you already have a semi-crossover design in it.

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think I'd be tempted to mirror image the galley, as the largest bit is the same side as the bed.  It would help trim the boat when you fill up the storage with heavy things, and you already have a semi-crossover design in it.

Great points thanks.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Do you have a reason for wanting the woodburner on the right/starboard side?  Since you pass oncoming boats port-to-port, a chimney on that side is more likely to come into conflict with low arch bridges/tunnels, or overhanging vegetation.

Is a washer really necessary on a holiday boat?

Again I hadn’t thought about the bridges, my wife can create a lot of washing in 2 weeks!

thanks folks

16 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Great points thanks.

Again I hadn’t thought about the bridges, my wife can create a lot of washing in 2 weeks!

thanks folks

To be honest, five years of boating, I have never passed a boat through a bridge hole, tunnels just take it off.

However, I would it on the other side up near the kitchen so that heats projects towards the open door of the bathroom, I have mine like yours and the heat struggles to move round the corner into the bathroom/bedroom.

8 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

five years of boating, I have never passed a boat through a bridge hole

We have, but only once - it was the evening of of a historic boat event at Braunston, and under Butchers Bridge was the only place with room to cross with an oncoming boat.

I have however lost a chimney to a bridge over the tail of one of the Whilton locks while exiting the lock alongside another boat.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

To be honest, five years of boating, I have never passed a boat through a bridge hole, tunnels just take it off.

However, I would it on the other side up near the kitchen so that heats projects towards the open door of the bathroom, I have mine like yours and the heat struggles to move round the corner into the bathroom/bedroom.

It is possible on a narrow canal but tends to block the canal for a couple of days whilst CRT pull the boats apart ?

September 99 Boats Stuck Under Brisge.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

Both good points, but the issue with the stovepipe is usually when crossing an oncoming boat not in a bridgehole.  If there's a lot of overgrown trees, it's sometimes better to have the chimney four feet further away from them!

Version 3

i have moved the calorifier (under the coats) washer and sink onto the same side as the shower to keep the pipe work on one side.  That puts oven and hob (gas) on the other side.  26 feet run calorifier to shower is that too far?  I keep getting told the Wood burner is in the wrong place, is walking past it so bad?  Still only a 10’6” living area including a breakfast bar, is that a little small?

A797CA4C-8546-4D6C-A50E-E9495150096F.jpeg

On 22/10/2020 at 17:42, TheBiscuits said:

Both good points, but the issue with the stovepipe is usually when crossing an oncoming boat not in a bridgehole.  If there's a lot of overgrown trees, it's sometimes better to have the chimney four feet further away from them!

6 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

five years and no loss of chimney, cruising on narrow canals.

would rather a slim chance of losing a chimney than having to compromise on the stove position.

I'm with Biscuits: I wouldn't have a boat with the chimney on the "wrong" side. Far side trees is the biggest threat, and I've often been glad I was lucky enough to buy a boat by a builder who recognised this, as I wouldn't have at the time.

However, I also would be thinking twice about the wisdom of designing my own boat once I'd read some of the answers in this thread. Experience is key when it comes to making the many compromises needed in a narrowboat and there's clearly a knowledge gap here.

Whilst I understand the attraction of designing a boat for one's self, my advice would be to buy a boat from a reputable and experienced builder who has honed these compromises over many years and builds. Save this project until you know exactly what you want and don't want in your next boat and can answer most of these questions yourself. 

This isn't meant to be harsh judgement: rather, it's just to offer a perspective I think has not been considered yet.

Good luck whichever way you go. :)

Edited by Sea Dog
Sp.
  • Greenie 1

Having the calorifier, washer, bed ( and person) & toilet holding tank on one side means you may need movable ballast to keep the boat reasonably upright. On our first boat as had 8 x 56lb weights, on Legacy we use one foot lengths of railway line which we move from side to side as needed. 56lb weights are now stupid prices so a contribution to the local steam railway preservation secured the line which they cut using a disc cutter. Nice & neat & at 30lb per piece they are easy enough to handle.