Not got a boat, yet, and family are aghast

LadyG

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

May you be less grumpy in the coming weeks

Will always be Grumpy <_< ...is my job!

...but thanks :) boat yard workers and surveyor all commented on 'looks good' at the point of extraction, things to deal with were all non-Hull related (one pit) but after 20yrs....it was mainly 6mm - 5.9mm - 5.8mm - baseplate averaged 9.2mm (top was 4mm all over - bow was 10.2mm for first 2 metres....Happy Chappie!! 

3 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Will always be Grumpy <_< ...is my job!

...but thanks :) boat yard workers and surveyor all commented on 'looks good' at the point of extraction, things to deal with were all non-Hull related (one pit) but after 20yrs....it was mainly 6mm - 5.9mm - 5.8mm - baseplate averaged 9.2mm (top was 4mm all over - bow was 10.2mm for first 2 metres....Happy Chappie!! 

Cheers though Rusty.....a huge weight off my shoulders....loads of jobs to do but that is why I wanted this boat.....can put my mark on it but the hull survey (except one single pit found at 7.9mm on baseplate) was WAY better than hoped for....just have to work out how to use the electric and water and then .......oh yes the cooker, shower, tv, doors.....ohms and the engine!?....well that sort itself eh!? :D

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

May you be less grumpy in the coming weeks

Cheers Rusty :cheers:

16 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Cheers though Rusty.....a huge weight off my shoulders....loads of jobs to do but that is why I wanted this boat.....can put my mark on it but the hull survey (except one single pit found at 7.9mm on baseplate) was WAY better than hoped for....just have to work out how to use the electric and water and then .......oh yes the cooker, shower, tv, doors.....ohms and the engine!?....well that sort itself eh!? :D

Cheers Rusty :cheers:

Congrats. If the hull is sound all other things can be fixed. 

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

oops, told my family the decision has been made. SILENCE.

moving on

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3996.aspx

for an ex hire it seems fresh, and I'd need to move bed, cut doors [so I can view sunrise]

and fit a stove.

any views?

its just .. research............

Looks good. Not sure where the stove would go unless you ripped out a cupboard. 

Ex-Canaltime, so may have been timeshare rather than hire (they did both).

Lots of them about, well built by SouthWest Durham. Tidy fit out.

As already pointed out, you will need to remove a cupboard to fit a stove.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

oops, told my family the decision has been made. SILENCE.

moving on

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3996.aspx

for an ex hire it seems fresh, and I'd need to move bed, cut doors [so I can view sunrise]

and fit a stove.

any views?

its just .. research............

No 'front door'

Emergency exit (BSS requires two means of egress, in case of fire or sinking) is the side hatch which cannot be used if you are in a lock.

Using the bow locker (to put in a gas bottle for example) means balancing along the gunwhale, or 'leaning / leaping' across from the bank side

Cruiser stern (wasted space for a liveboard)

Pump-out toilet.

We looked at one of these some years ago and dismissed it as a no-goer.

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No 'front door'

Emergency exit (BSS requires two means of egress, in case of fire or sinking) is the side hatch which cannot be used if you are in a lock.

Using the bow locker (to put in a gas bottle for example) means balancing along the gunwhale, or 'leaning / leaping' across from the bank side

Pump-out toilet.

Or another way of looking at it,

Side hatch looks ok to climb out of with roof opened.

Bow has enough room to stand in when changing gas bottle.

Cruiser stern, great for a live aboard in the warmer months, nice to sit on the deck if the towpath is not very wide.

Pump out, save looking at your own poo every few days.

Nice enough, clean boat but mine was like that one inside when i bought it, reminded me of David Dickisons face with all that orange varnish!

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No 'front door'

Pump-out toilet.

How  do you mean "one of these", do you mean you recognise this  model?

I would cut a door and that would sort that.  Yes not keen on pump out, but could stick a cassette in , maybe £500 max.

To stick a gas bottle in, which would be once per blue moon, i'd pull bow line tight so bow is accessed, but anyway, there wold be a  door.

It costs £32K, and has a modern engine. and is not very old.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Ex-Canaltime, so may have been timeshare rather than hire (they did both).

Lots of them about, well built by SouthWest Durham. Tidy fit out.

As already pointed out, you will need to remove a cupboard to fit a stove.

ty, 

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Don't phone in, its just for fun

open the box, its RESEARCH

I have discovered more facts, that is what it is all about, I think I have only found one which ticks every box, and its under offer [SORREL] https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=510420

when the time comes I will have to say, " £xx000"  cash,  take it or leave it, offer open for seven days.

That is  just the way it is, I don't get the money for my flat till the day they move in, and on that day i will buy my boat.

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Take your pick. 

Dont get the booby prize'

You think I should take a dart and throw it at the dartboard?

There is far more "risk" in steel and wood than bricks and mortar, but then I know about bricks and mortar, a bit about boats, and a tad about sewertubes.

Edited by LadyG

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I hope the timings work out the way you think they will. 

So do I, or I'll be converting my van to an RV [whatever that is]

Its perfectly simple, someone buys my flat on Tuesday am, , gives me the cash, and I buy BoatyMacboaty on Tuesday pm.

What can go wrong, [rhetoric Q]

Edited by LadyG

45 minutes ago, LadyG said:

How  do you mean "one of these", do you mean you recognise this  model?

The are 'always' for sale - they were (are?) a standard hire boat and brokers normally have a few for sale.

I think last time I was at Sawley they had three for sale.

Considering that you will need to rip out the bed, change walls, remove pump-out, add a fire (probably totalling £8k+) I'd suggest you'd be better finding a £40k boat that meets your spec than a £30k boat that you need to spend weeks / months and £1000s on.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The are 'always' for sale - they were (are?) a standard hire boat and brokers normally have a few for sale.

I think last time I was at Sawley they had three for sale.

Considering that you will need to rip out the bed, change walls, remove pump-out, add a fire (probably totalling £8k+) I'd suggest you'd be better finding a £40k boat that meets your spec than a £30k boat that you need to spend weeks / months and £1000s on.

ty

this is hell.......................

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

this is hell.......................

Wandering around a large brokerage is fun. You can view dozens of boats all on the same day and one is likely to call out your name. 

43 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Wandering around a large brokerage is fun. You can view dozens of boats all on the same day and one is likely to call out your name. 

Mine kept calling me, even though she was the first on I looked at.

In fact until I sorted out the cash I used to visit her on the weekend and growl at other boat buyers if they came near :)

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1/No 'front door'

2/Emergency exit (BSS requires two means of egress, in case of fire or sinking) is the side hatch which cannot be used if you are in a lock.

3/Using the bow locker (to put in a gas bottle for example) means balancing along the gunwhale, or 'leaning / leaping' across from the bank side

4/Cruiser stern (wasted space for a liveboard)

5/Pump-out toilet.

6/We looked at one of these some years ago and dismissed it as a no-goer.

1/ Agreed about the door at the very front, but I have seen some with a fully opening window added there.

2/ The side hatch can be used in a narrow lock if the roof is hinged back.

3/ Agreed.

4/ Some prefer the cruiser stern.

5/ See 4.

6/ Different people have different ideas.

We had one for 2 weeks when our Timeshare boat was having a new engine. We found the engine was not well insulated and therefore noisy, and got the impression the hull wasn't that well insulated. As said you would need to find somewhere to fit a stove.