Exhaust replacement

Featured Posts

I need to replace the exhaust on my boat, the engine is a Lister SR2, outlet pipe is 1¼", the pipe on the roof of the boat is 1½".

She is currently fitted with a 1¼ silencer. My question is, would I get any benefit from fitting 1½" silencer, of should I stick to the original size. I know that on high performance engines the exhaust design makes a significant difference, but on a slow revving diesel??

exhaust.jpg

If the exhaust system causes too much backpressure it will result in power loss from a diesel engine.

However given the short runs and few bends on a typical narrowboat exhaust, this will be a non-issue.

Is there any harm in removing the silencer? I worry the inside of ours is getting coked up so a more simple exhaust would be better for us to clean it. Noise doesn't bother me... sort of hijacking your thread a little here sorry.

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered a 1¼" silencer. 

5 hours ago, Catnip King said:

Is there any harm in removing the silencer? I worry the inside of ours is getting coked up so a more simple exhaust would be better for us to clean it. Noise doesn't bother me... sort of hijacking your thread a little here sorry.

Having heard the noise from engines without silencers, I would not recommend it on the canal. I am hopeful that replacing the whole exhaust system on my boat will reduce the noise level. Her indoors has started calling the engine "bam bam".... 

4 minutes ago, Chaotic River said:

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered a 1¼" silencer. 

Having heard the noise from engines without silencers, I would not recommend it on the canal. I am hopeful that replacing the whole exhaust system on my boat will reduce the noise level. Her indoors has started calling the engine "bam bam".... 

lol I would rather bam bam than old smokey as mine refers to it ;)

15 minutes ago, Catnip King said:

lol I would rather bam bam than old smokey as mine refers to it ;)

:lol:

Not sure you would agree if you heard it, on tick over it's a nice sound, but when I open the throttle it's like an orchestra of blacksmiths tuning up...  

26 minutes ago, Chaotic River said:

:lol:

Not sure you would agree if you heard it, on tick over it's a nice sound, but when I open the throttle it's like an orchestra of blacksmiths tuning up...  

Don't open it up ;)

sorted!