K&A Trip planned

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

mmmm thanks for posting this. We were thinking of the K and A as part of our next route and havnt been on it for about guessing 12/15 years or so. Please keep us informed re if it gets worse and I may decide to miss it out. Its a shame as we had a mooring first on their in around 92 ish and it was quiet with virtualy no boats between bath and B o A and over the next few years on occasional trips it got a bit busier and was always a pain to moor in the middle of nowhere. Thing is myself and the old girl don't " jump " anymore so it may well now be a no no :mellow:

Yes definitely miss it out. It's AWFUL here. Full of widebeams... ;)

We've got to Newbury. Short day due to the weather! Newbury seems a very pleasant town with lots of shopping opportunities and plenty of moorings, some 24 hr right in the centre but also plenty of Armco towpath just to the east (just before and around the big boatyard). First night we moored at the Cunning Man, bow right in, stern out a bit. Next night we moored in the sticks (but unfortunately and inevitably fairly close to the railway), bow a couple of feet out and stern further. No boats came past while we were moored to test the pins!

Generally it seems fairly quiet. Some of the locks are a bit of the pain - I've taken to holding the boat with the centre rope (which I've always previously considered noddy-boatish) but it does allow us to fully raise the paddles (many of which are gate paddles) in a oner, without the boat going barmy. And the slopey sided locks take ages to fill the last bit.

We've seen a fair few dumpers and CMers, but not really a problem and no-one moored stupidly. Well there was a boat on a lock landing but they had a knackered gearbox and were awaiting an engineer so fair enough! But I have to say, quite a few of these "boaters" not at all friendly, totally ignoring our pleasantries. Well maybe not that many, but it stands out. They are not really boaters and one or two seemed terrified at the though of having to actually go through a lock.

Then there was the motorist who drove onto the electric swing bridge despite the alarm, flashing lights, red light and barrier coming down. He accelerated then braked rapidly as he realised he wasn't going to get under the second barrier. So there he (and his wife) were, parked on the swing bridge with barriers front and rear. I was on the boat, Jeff was operating. Which was a shame because if it had been me, I'd just have continued holding the button down and swung the bridge. But being much nicer than me, Jeff reversed the operation and let them off. I would have sworn at them but there was a family with young children gongoozling!

Ah the joys of being in the Deep South where everyone is grumpy, unfriendly and in a rush!

Edited by nicknorman

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Generally it seems fairly quiet. Some of the locks are a bit of the pain - I've taken to holding the boat with the centre rope (which I've always previously considered noddy-boatish) but it does allow us to fully raise the paddles (many of which are gate paddles) in a oner, without the boat going barmy. And the slopey sided locks take ages to fill the last bit.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you get to the lock by the church in Great Bedwyn!

One top paddle out of action for weeks now and very leaky bottom gates. You'll have to force the gates open against the 4" level difference the lock settles at. Enormous fun for single handers. The only technique (other than waiting for assistance) I've succeeded with is to tie a line from balance beam to a lockside bollard and spanish windlass it open.

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you get to the lock by the church in Great Bedwyn!

One top paddle out of action for weeks now and very leaky bottom gates. You'll have to force the gates open against the 4" level difference the lock settles at. Enormous fun for single handers. The only technique (other than waiting for assistance) I've succeeded with is to tie a line from balance beam to a lockside bollard and spanish windlass it open.

Allegedly the paddle is being fixed tomorrow. Any idea what the summit level is like, is it still very low?

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Allegedly the paddle is being fixed tomorrow. Any idea what the summit level is like, is it still very low?

Excellent news. Each time the gates are forces open a small tsunami bounces off the bottom gates and runs up the pound.

Dunno about the summit, I've been here for six weeks now...

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Excellent news. Each time the gates are forces open a small tsunami bounces off the bottom gates and runs up the pound.

I think we'll end up mooring for 5 days or so in or near Hungerford (Jeff doesn't want to be left out in the sticks) whilst I go back to Aberdeen. We may see you around...

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it summit you could find out? :)

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think we'll end up mooring for 5 days or so in or near Hungerford (Jeff doesn't want to be left out in the sticks) whilst I go back to Aberdeen. We may see you around...

This seems likely!

I'd advise mooring at Hungerford or Kintbury. Both nice places and less impersonal than Newbury. West of Kintbury there are now no decent pubs now until you get to Pewsey. 

For those unaware of the pub situation in Great Bedwyn, the Cross keys is permanently closed and the owner is attempting to turn it into a house. The Three Tuns up the hill is still trading but not very popular in the village and are closing tomorrow for three weeks so they  can go on holiday. WTF?!!

The Royal Oak at Wootton Rivers is ok if you like badly cellared 6x, and The Harrow at Little Bedwyn is a pub according to Nicholsons but actually isn't any more. It's a top flight restaurant only, with a three month booking period. 

On Balance I'd say Jeff will find more interesting stuff to do in Hungerford for five days. The John O'Gaunt is the best pub out of many to choose from. Wall to wall antique shops, Good Chinese, Indian and F&C takeaways. British Legion get awards for their beer I'm told but never been in there. Loads of big trout in the River Kennet for poaching or a day of legit fly fishing if that appeals. 

Nicest moorings there are above Town Lock, right by the church and before the swing bridge.

What Mr MTB says! Hungerford is lovely one of my favourite stops, though we tend to moor outside of town. The visitor moorings are quiet unless Mike is campanologing on a Sunday!  Most of us are friendly and will say hello etc. so don't take any notice of the grumpies. 

The summit pound is holding up reasonably well for water, though the locks at each end were being chained shut at 3pm reopening at 10.00am, not sure if this is still happening. 

We may see you on your travels, we're nr Devizes at the mo. Enjoy your trip.

41 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This seems likely!

I'd advise mooring at Hungerford or Kintbury. Both nice places and less impersonal than Newbury. West of Kintbury there are now no decent pubs now until you get to Pewsey. 

For those unaware of the pub situation in Great Bedwyn, the Cross keys is permanently closed and the owner is attempting to turn it into a house. The Three Tuns up the hill is still trading but not very popular in the village and are closing tomorrow for three weeks so they  can go on holiday. WTF?!!

The Royal Oak at Wootton Rivers is ok if you like badly cellared 6x, and The Harrow at Little Bedwyn is a pub according to Nicholsons but actually isn't any more. It's a top flight restaurant only, with a three month booking period. 

On Balance I'd say Jeff will find more interesting stuff to do in Hungerford for five days. The John O'Gaunt is the best pub out of many to choose from. Wall to wall antique shops, Good Chinese, Indian and F&C takeaways. British Legion get awards for their beer I'm told but never been in there. Loads of big trout in the River Kennet for poaching or a day of legit fly fishing if that appeals. 

Nicest moorings there are above Town Lock, right by the church and before the swing bridge.

Thanks for the info. Jeff is a bit of a city boy and will probably disappear to London for a day or two, but of course that is easy from Hungerford. Oh, there isn't still a mad gunman there is there?

Anyway, I think I shall have to vote for Jeremy Corbyn so that he can sort out our public transport. What a nightmare trying to work out the best (and cheapest) way for me to get to Heathrow. But after several hours I think it is a £9 open return train ticket to Reading followed by the X25 bus to Heathrow for £26 return. Going into London takes a similar time but is a lot more expensive.

4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

What Mr MTB says! Hungerford is lovely one of my favourite stops, though we tend to moor outside of town. The visitor moorings are quiet unless Mike is campanologing on a Sunday!  Most of us are friendly and will say hello etc. so don't take any notice of the grumpies. 

The summit pound is holding up reasonably well for water, though the locks at each end were being chained shut at 3pm reopening at 10.00am, not sure if this is still happening. 

We may see you on your travels, we're nr Devizes at the mo. Enjoy your trip.

Ta for the info - your boat has a distinctive name so we'll keep a look out for it. I'll be back down on the 10th to continue our jaunt.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Ta for the info - your boat has a distinctive name so we'll keep a look out for it. I'll be back down on the 10th to continue our jaunt.

Give us a shout if we're on board, there's a very distinctive black dragon painted on the side, you'll know who it is! 

Jeff might enjoy a trip to Salisbury while you are moored in Hungerford, it will be a bus trip, but is a lovely market town, with plenty of shops, pubs and cafés. 

We are in Hungerford presently. Just above Hungerford lock there's moorings,with a plank,

we walked to Froxfield yesterday,the Pelican seems a good boozer. We had one drink and walked back. Top up with water wherever you can,taps seem to be a rarity. Kintbury has Services. And the Blue Ball is a good pub. I wouldn't try the Dundas Arms, There's a tap just prior to Hungerford. Gt Bedwyn the next. 

We'll see you soon. Son and family joining us for the weekend. 

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

We are in Hungerford presently. Just above Hungerford lock there's moorings,with a plank,

we walked to Froxfield yesterday,the Pelican seems a good boozer. We had one drink and walked back. Top up with water wherever you can,taps seem to be a rarity. Kintbury has Services. And the Blue Ball is a good pub. I wouldn't try the Dundas Arms, There's a tap just prior to Hungerford. Gt Bedwyn the next. 

There's taps all around you!

Newbury
Kintbury
Hungerford
Bedwyn
Crofton
Wootton Rivers
Pewsey x 2

Oh and yes I forgot about the Pelican. We go there on a Monday night after campanologisation. A HUGE pub, and nearly always virtually empty. I dunno how they survive.

Food there is very good (I'm told) and usually three decent real ales on. Always well cellared.  

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The Dundas Arms does have an amazing garden though ............... :P

One thing I notice in the Pelican though, the landlady tends to serve 9/10ths of a pint which I find faintly irritating. I think she considers a large frothy head to be part of the pint.

By the time you've paid for a round the head will have subsided and the level in each glass will be 1/2" below the brim. I always ask for a top up! 

4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

The Dundas Arms does have an amazing garden though ............... :P

I like the Dundas. Nosebleed prices though. Two pints and a small glass of wine £13 the other day. The pints are brim-full though!

Edit for clarity.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I like it. Nosebleed prices though. Two pints and a small glass of wine £13 the other day.

Yep way too expensive, and the chefs are constantly changing. I like the gardener though ................. :D

Edited by Guest
Left a worm out

Just now, mrsmelly said:

He may well have " nosebleed " overheads.

Ha ha yes they're called the shareholders, it's part of the Cirrus Inns chain.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

ALL the staff are constantly changing...!

We go in there on a Thursday after tintinabulation. 

I think I am one of the longest workers there and I am just a contractor!

Shame it's not a Sunday,  you could tell all the out of control Hermiones and Tarquins not to climb on the trees and keep off the flowerbeds!