RN DM3 problems

Featured Posts

hi all, new to the forum but have been living on a NB for the past 20 years moored on the GU south near bulls bridge. i have a RN DM3 (which i love) i generally do my own servicing oil / filters etc and have had many years of trouble free cruising. Having just dome the london ring i noticed a clicking coming for the water pump and a slight leak. i confess this is beyond my mechanicing skills so my question is does anyone know / recommend an engineer with RN experience in this area.

many thanks

Sue    

Firstly, I envy you your DM3, as will many others here.

I can suggest two courses of action for you:

Join the RN Register http://www.rnregister.org.uk (£12 pa) then discuss your problem with the knowledgeable people on the RNR forum, they may well be able to help you sort the problem yourself.

Or contact Ian Crompton (07831 841108) or Richard Milligan (07973 826260) who are RNR recommended engineers.

sue.

hi in reading I assume you have a mechcanical water pump - there is a small grease cup - i assume you check/fill daily as required,,, I didnt realise that and mine let rip,,, and self destructed,,, I replaced with and electrical central heating pump (small marine type)  wasnt that cheap but 8 years since,,

without knowing how yours is plumbed in,,, i cant be specific,,, but mine was a dm3,,, so sympathise

cheers john

• 2 weeks later...

Youll prob find the same as mine the water pump valves will be marked from years of use! They need to be moved around abit. You may even find swapping the valves from the bilge pump is better, the clicking is the valve getting stuck and the other hitting it mine was a miss beat noise as it would get stuck randomly i swapped with bilge one as these had hardly any use so will make both pumps last another 80 years

• 3 years later...

what a load of bolleaux.. rather depends on how weird your boat and its equipment actually is.

as in what RN fitting are you twatting on about?? bilge pump is just that, they dont generally use the engine,,,,,,

34 minutes ago, Strads said:

what a load of bolleaux.. rather depends on how weird your boat and its equipment actually is.

as in what RN fitting are you twatting on about?? bilge pump is just that, they dont generally use the engine,,,,,,

What an odd post some four years late.

Are you sure RN never offered and engine driven bilge pump option?

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Strads said:

For your education an engine run bilge pump (National DM2)

pump.jpg

• Greenie 1

Tony,, it may appear that way to you, but having owned one for 17 years and seen quite a few.. (probably 40 plus in engine holes and knowing the

Dave at RN  no one has had an engine powered bilge pump.

Thanks,, just show's there is a variant out there,,,  they do look like non original pumps etc,   but may well be from as new in time  my oil pump  (RN ) is in that approx location..

2 minutes ago, Strads said:

Tony,, it may appear that way to you, but having owned one for 17 years and seen quite a few.. (probably 40 plus in engine holes and knowing the

Dave at RN  no one has had an engine powered bilge pump.

Except  @Tim Lewis has posted a photo of the national version of that engine. You should only make such a definite statement and borderline abuse when you have seen all the option and looked at the OP's and @billybobbooth's engine. As RNs went into all sorts of craft, including sea going wooden boats I don't see how you can be so positive. I accept it might turn out such pumps were only fitted to the National version but I rather doubt it.

• Love 1

Tony,  you like me are able to read, note, comment according to how you find/see things,,, that is what I did, without being rude,   I except that my experience may not be as wide  as some, but also certain individuals       claim to been there  and sorted it when they havnt.. either,,,

Out of interest the engine mentioned in the OP is a D3 which was later marinised, not a DM3. 

I know the boat and at the time I met the previous owner I had a DM2 in my narrow boat so was rather interested in other boats with RN engines.  This was mid nineties when the boat was new and the owner had just fitted an ex industrial RN D3 into it. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Except  @Tim Lewis has posted a photo of the national version of that engine. You should only make such a definite statement and borderline abuse when you have seen all the option and looked at the OP's and @billybobbooth's engine. As RNs went into all sorts of craft, including sea going wooden boats I don't see how you can be so positive. I accept it might turn out such pumps were only fitted to the National version but I rather doubt it.

Mine is a national but has a bilge pump side same as the one posted by Tim.

Mine was fully working but as my engine water pump side was shot I had to use the bilge side to fix my engine side, you can't swap everything as my plungers in the pump were different sizes. It will be put back to a bilge pump but also plummed in with stop cocks so I can use it as a second engine pump.

4 hours ago, Strads said:

A very pompous and inaccurate response to someone's input, engine driven bilge pumps are very common on marine diesels of the period. Standard fit on the majority of marine JPs and many of the RN/National engines i've seen. 

Kelvins used to have an engine driven "wash pump" for clearing the deck of fish guts  etc through the scuppers. Could also be used for  putting fires out ? Some 4cylinder models have 2 uniflow cooling pumps  but no bilge pump

All the DM2 Nationals I've seen have bilge and cooling pumps as per picture with a dog clutch to  bilge pump

• Happy 1