Purchased my first boat - did I do good?

Featured Posts

So, I bought my first narrowboat and now I'm really looking for lots of people to reassure me that it was a good buy. Can anyone set my mind at ease (or at least tell me what specifically I should be worrying about)? The hull survey said everything was fine. Thanks muchly -

http://www.nationwidenarrowboatsales.com/viewlisting2.php?id=320

A fairly standard modern boat at a fair price? Nothing remarkable leaps out at me to either say "Buy Me" or "Walk Away". The worst I can say about it is that the cupboard directly above the loo is maybe not a good idea; things might fall out of it while the seat is up, or you might stand up and bang your shoulder.

You've got to like a boat called Smudge. I hope it gives you many years of happy boating.

Looks a perfectly good boat for the money to me, if a little vanilla for my personal taste in boats.

The only minor problem is the cramped bathroom overfilled with that corner bath which you'll never use as a bath. Hook it out and fit a shower enclosure then you can gave a basin with space to get at it! 

Otherwise a good buy :)

P.s. 45ft is a really nice length boat to use. Loads of places you'll be able to turn when no one else can!!

12 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

Looks like a good buy for that price, maybe even a little under priced in the current market.  I like the corner bath, I would have to paint that stove though :) 

Paint it? Are you saying you think it isn't solid gold?????

8 minutes ago, ThoughtfulBacon said:

Yeah, I couldn't quite believe that someone chose a gold stove, but part of the fun is making the interior my own. Thanks for the feedback!

A black one will radiate more heat. 

your boat, you are the one to spend time and money on making it your own(very exciting), you are the one to enjoy cruising along, to enjoy mooring up for a tea and cake or a beer and sarnie.  WHy do you need anyone to reassure you. No matter what, enjoy and have fun. (Boat looks great by the way)

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, deckhand said:

your boat, you are the one to spend time and money on making it your own(very exciting), you are the one to enjoy cruising along, to enjoy mooring up for a tea and cake or a beer and sarnie.  WHy do you need anyone to reassure you. No matter what, enjoy and have fun. (Boat looks great by the way)

I'd say the OP seeks reassurance as the result of making a decision to buy what appears to be a reasonably priced boat, whilst worrying inexperience means there is something missed that stops it being a good buy. 

A groundless worry, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A black one will radiate more heat. 

Sorry Mike, I can't believe that's true. As you didn't add a smiley, I assume you are serious.

Maybe it was tongue in cheek.

13 minutes ago, AllanC said:

Sorry Mike, I can't believe that's true. As you didn't add a smiley, I assume you are serious.

Maybe it was tongue in cheek.

It is true. I was serious. 

Did you not do 'O' Level physics?

Or perhaps you went to a posh Skool that had no truck with black hand stuff. 

No I went to secondary school and was in the black hand gang if that helps. :D I left school before I took any 'O' levels, but I still can't recall learning anything relating to a black coloured stove radiating more heat than any other colour.

I am willing to be educated.

Matt black surfaces absorb radiant heat far better than say, shiny white surfaces.

The same is true in reverse. Matt black radiates heat far better than shiny white. Intermediate finishes radiate in proportion to their brightness or darkness. Shinyness has an effect too. So we were taught. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ThoughtfulBacon said:

So, I bought my first narrowboat and now I'm really looking for lots of people to reassure me that it was a good buy. Can anyone set my mind at ease (or at least tell me what specifically I should be worrying about)? The hull survey said everything was fine. Thanks muchly -

http://www.nationwidenarrowboatsales.com/viewlisting2.php?id=320

Looks like a perfectly usable boat.

If everything works as it should and 'is what it is' then, even if you gave the full asking you have paid a fair price and done well, if you managed to knock a bit off put it towards maintenance.

It looks clean and reasonably well cared and basic (which is a good thing), take the time to go right through it though, open every panel, visually inspect any and every ancillary, pump and wot-not you can access regardless of your boaty prowess (electrics excepted), even if your not quite sure what its called or what it does, just take a picture and post here, if it looks borked it's probably on its way out and replacement budgeted for.

Mike's right, lose the bath.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

P.s. 45ft is a really nice length boat to use. Loads of places you'll be able to turn when no one else can!!

Interestingly, here at Crick we've had a lot more enquiries about 45 to 50' boats than previous years. Maybe the fashion for 58' "go anywhere" boats is abating a bit.

6 hours ago, AllanC said:

I have learned something. Being inquisitive, I had a Google and you are correct mike. I found this, http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age11-14/Heat energy/Transfer of heat energy/text/Heat_radiation/index.html

It explains it well and proves why black stoves are best.

Greenie for you.:cheers:

Thank you! 

Beware of that page you link to though. It isn't very well written and contains a few technical howlers, e.g. radiant heat cannot travel through glass. Not true as anyone who has sweltered at a desk by a sunny window in a skool or office!

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you! 

Beware of that page you link to though. It isn't very well written and contains a few technical howlers, e.g. radiant heat cannot travel through glass. Not true as anyone who has sweltered at a desk by a sunny window in a skool or office!

Although it doesn't say " radiant heat cannot travel through glass" tho does it!

5 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Although it doesn't say " radiant heat cannot travel through glass" tho does it!

Not if you are a pedant. 

Referring to radiated heat, the page states "it will not travel through glass", which to me is the same thing as saying radiat heat will not travel through glass.  Then it contradicts itself a few lines further down. Hence my suggestion the page is technically unreliable.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not if you are a pedant. 

Referring to radiated heat, thecpage states "it will not travel through glass", which to me is the same thing. Then it contradicts itself a few lines further down. Hence my suggestion the page is technically unreliable.

It goes into long wave and short wave radiation and what passes through glass.  If a12 year old can understand the last summary lines then why can't you?

Edited by Robbo

8 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It goes into long wave and short wave radiation and what passes through glass.  If a12 year old can understand the last summary lines then why can't you?

Stop being silly. I gave you an example of the page contradicting itself. I stand by my assertion it is riddled with in acuracies. 

I stand by my opinion it is badly written and not to be relied upon as a good source of accurate information. 

29 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It also doesn't mention that radiators really ought to be called 'convectors' because that's how they heat a space. They radiate very little. 

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Stop being silly. I gave you an example of the page contradicting itself. I stand by my assertion it is riddled with in acuracies. 

I stand by my opinion it is badly written and not to be relied upon as a good source of accurate information. 

I'm afraid I can't agree with you either, Mike.  The piece seems pretty straightforward and accurate.  As for you sitting beside a window and sweltering, that is you absorbing the shorter wave solar radiation and heating up, not absorbing heat (infra-red) radiation.  Think of a thermal solar panel, black behind glass.  The black absorbs solar radiation, and heats up, but the glass prevents it from radiating back out.

BTW, I have one of those Crookes radiometers which the piece mentions, so I looked it up on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer :wacko: