River Trent Holme Lock - A Cautionary Tale

pearley

Featured Posts

Coming down river from Nottingham this morning we intended to stop above Holme Lock for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, what had been visitor moorings on our last visit 5 years ago is now occupied by permanent moorers who have been displaced from the opposite side of the lock cut due to works for the Hydro Plant. The only unoccupied section was signed as reserved for the trip boat.

We continued past the moored boats and it seemed we would have to continue through the lock and moor at the next visitor moorings. The lock was against us so I pulled over to the towpath side to stop whilst waiting. My wife was standing on the counter on that side with a rope ready to put around a bollard. Unfortunately the flow going down the old lock cut to the new Hydro plant was strong enough to pull the front end of the boat over to the left which meant the stern was pulled rapidly against the concrete wall striking my wifes thighs badly.

This was at the point where the water tap is. My fault as I didn't want to get too close to the lock gates, not knowing what might be going to exit. Next time I'll pull well forward.

I have suggested to CRT that wooden fendering is installed at leisure boat level, this would provide a safety gap between most boats and the concrete and reduce any further risk of accident.

Jeannette is rather stiff but otherwise seems ok.

PS. After talking to the lock keeper the trip boat doesn't stop there anymore so why aren't the signs removed?

9 minutes ago, pearley said:

PS. After talking to the lock keeper the trip boat doesn't stop there anymore so why aren't the signs removed?

It seems to me they are often not removed. The one by the Napton Bridge Inn has been there for years and ass far as I know the trip boat only used it for a short time.

I agree its something CaRT need to address. Maybe if the boat operator was charged by the day for the mooring the operator themselves would ensure notices are removed when no longer wanted.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

Coming down river from Nottingham this morning we intended to stop above Holme Lock for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, what had been visitor moorings on our last visit 5 years ago is now occupied by permanent moorers who have been displaced from the opposite side of the lock cut due to works for the Hydro Plant. The only unoccupied section was signed as reserved for the trip boat.

We continued past the moored boats and it seemed we would have to continue through the lock and moor at the next visitor moorings. The lock was against us so I pulled over to the towpath side to stop whilst waiting. My wife was standing on the counter on that side with a rope ready to put around a bollard. Unfortunately the flow going down the old lock cut to the new Hydro plant was strong enough to pull the front end of the boat over to the left which meant the stern was pulled rapidly against the concrete wall striking my wifes thighs badly.

This was at the point where the water tap is. My fault as I didn't want to get too close to the lock gates, not knowing what might be going to exit. Next time I'll pull well forward.

I have suggested to CRT that wooden fendering is installed at leisure boat level, this would provide a safety gap between most boats and the concrete and reduce any further risk of accident.

Jeannette is rather stiff but otherwise seems ok.

During so called consultations prior to the instalation of the silly Hydro plant CART and the Ea were informed that the istalation was unsafe and would caus e problems re safety, those problems were underlined in no uncertain terms but we were overuled and the plant ensued. The trip boat mooring is a private mooring paid for by the trip boat operator " Princess river cruises " and is needed as an emergency mooring if problems arise with a boat and need to get alongside in a hurry, there is a section of the mooring at a raised level to enable emergency exit from the boat.

The whole thing is such a pain. we haven't been able to moor at Holme lock for several years since the start of the hydro scheme. we used to love going there-in fact we were on the waiting list for a mooring there for 10 years before they abolished waiting lists. 

before the hydro schemw started operating we were at least able to wind and back down to take on water-we darent try that now. 

Two years ago we had a similar experience to the OP. I'm not sure if it was in the exact place, and it was our boat not the wife that was damaged, and was due to a bolt sticking out where there had once been some timber or a sleeper.

The moorings were restricted due to the hydro work but there was one space. Unfortunately we were trying to moor just as a thunderstorm was beginning and the sudden huge gust of wind pushed the boat into this bolt causing a 6 inch gouge to the cabin side.

It's such a great place to moor but nowadays I never bother.

Our boat is temporarily moored in Nottingham (Castle Marina)  and we are planning to have a  short trip with friends on the Trent through Meadow Lane Lock next week and had decided that Holme Lock would be a good place to moor for lunch and to have a look at the Watersports Centre. Pleased I saw this thread re the lack of visitor moorings there now.  Can anyone enlighten me on where any suitable (for narrowboats) moorings are and also if there are any decent eating places nearby.  Not really able to travel for more than a couple of hours each way on this occasion.  TIA :)

30 minutes ago, Lottiespal said:

Our boat is temporarily moored in Nottingham (Castle Marina)  and we are planning to have a  short trip with friends on the Trent through Meadow Lane Lock next week and had decided that Holme Lock would be a good place to moor for lunch and to have a look at the Watersports Centre. Pleased I saw this thread re the lack of visitor moorings there now.  Can anyone enlighten me on where any suitable (for narrowboats) moorings are and also if there are any decent eating places nearby.  Not really able to travel for more than a couple of hours each way on this occasion.  TIA :)

Stoke Bardolph has excellent visitors moorings but not 'close' to earing establishments.

Gunthorpe has lots of visitors moorings and pubs alongside the moorings (but you won't get there within 2 hours of leaving Castle marina)

1 hour ago, Martin Megson said:

I moored above the lock in mid April with no problem.  You can see the long term moorings in front of my boat.  There was room for perhaps 3 narrow boats behind mine.

IMG_5793.jpg.3e8d87aa43e9ce810b1198cb34092c00.jpg

That's where we are moored now. Slightly further forward so the ladder is alongside the stern deck.

As I said at the beginning, the sign that says reserved for trip boat points from further upstream towards the lock. There doesn't appear to be a corresponding sign to indicate the length reserved.