BMC Commander 2.5 pushrod

jnrhacksaw

Featured Posts

I have a BMC/Newage 2.5 Commander engine that was a basket case. I'm in the process of re-assembling it but I'm one pushrod short.

Parts list for the engine states the part numbers as 11b.133 or AEB.414 

total length of the pushrod is 242mm, I've attached a picture.

IMG_20170512_100529.jpg

I think the cup will be the same size. I was going to suggest that if he could not get one that he talk to you about doing a cut and shut on a 1.5 by welding and sleeving a piece in the centre.

I think the 2.2 is taller than a 1.5 so would suspect the pushrods would be longer but you will soon find out .

If I had a time machine maybe :)

Gipsy spares in Holland say they may be able to help, next option is a 2.2 rod if its the same length . Otherwise modifying a  rod or even getting one made might be the way.

Edited by jnrhacksaw

I have a bit of experience with BMC diesels, only 40 years. Firstly, forget the 1.5/1.8, they are much smaller, as suggested in RLWP's post.

However the 2.2 and 2.5 are definitely the same pushrods, it's basically only the bore that differs on these engines.

I've probably got some lying around, as I've got several "spares only" 2.2 & 2.5 engines lying around. I'll have a look around  this weekend, I'll probably find some in the shed, along with shedloads of other 2.2/2.5 bits

Cheers, David

I've had a rummage in the shed and found some BMC 2.5 pushrods, 242 mm exactly as your OP. How many do you want? I'll pm you with details, if I can work out how to do it!

Incidentally, if anybody else needs BMC 2.2 or 2.5 spares, I have loads of them, up to and including complete engines, please ask.

Note that I have already sold all of my BMC 1.5/1.8 stuff, so there is NOTHING for these engines, and there is surprisingly little that they share with their bigger brothers - same applies to the BMC 3.4/3.8

14 minutes ago, D. W. Walker said:

I've had a rummage in the shed and found some BMC 2.5 pushrods, 242 mm exactly as your OP. How many do you want? I'll pm you with details, if I can work out how to do it!

I think that you need to have made 5 or 6 posts before you can PM. Hopefully the OP can PM you because he has enough posts. Otherwise I fear it will nee a disguised email address publishing.

• 1 year later...
On 28/05/2017 at 10:25, D. W. Walker said:

Incidentally, if anybody else needs BMC 2.2 or 2.5 spares, I have loads of them, up to and including complete engines, please ask.

Note that I have already sold all of my BMC 1.5/1.8 stuff, so there is NOTHING for these engines, and there is surprisingly little that they share with their bigger brothers - same applies to the BMC 3.4/3.8

Hi I'm in need of a set of a full set of push rods, full rocker arm set up and rocker cover if you have any for a BMC 2.52 or even a full BMC 2.52 engine 

• 1 year later...

Hi, not sure if people still read in this post. I'm in need of a pushrod for BMC 3.8L engine (Commodore 38P). I need to replace a bent one in my engine.

Does anyone have any spare parts lying around for the BMC 38P or a recommendation where would be a good place to look for it? I've tried Calcutt Boats Shop and Parsons Mathway Marine. Someone also directed me to dealers of JBC backhoe loaders as the engine was built into those machines a lot but I've had no luck so far.

Thanks a lot!

Will it not straighten? They are hardened at the ends but should be quite soft in the middle.

Scrap 3C JCB or Nuffield tractor may be a source. ASAP have some spares.

In desperation, 2 from another BMC, possibly 1.5D or 1.8D cut in half and welded together to the correct length?

Tried   https://www.tractorspareparts.co.uk/bmc-engine-parts-bmc-38-litre-4-cylinder-engine-c-41_844.html   ?

Or    https://www.charnleys.com/parts/nuffield/model/nuffield-345-nuffield-465/part/engine/perpage/48  ?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Will it not straighten? They are hardened at the ends but should be quite soft in the middle.

Scrap 3C JCB or Nuffield tractor may be a source. ASAP have some spares.

In desperation, 2 from another BMC, possibly 1.5D or 1.8D cut in half and welded together to the correct length?

Yeah, we hammered it straight. I'm just not sure how long it would last as the valve was quite stiff and it occasionally pops at higher RPM's.

Thanks for the names which I will contact about the push rod. I might create a new thread as I would really like to get the proper part to be on the safe side and not risk another engine failure.

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2017 at 21:07, D. W. Walker said:

I have a bit of experience with BMC diesels, only 40 years. Firstly, forget the 1.5/1.8, they are much smaller, as suggested in RLWP's post.

However the 2.2 and 2.5 are definitely the same pushrods, it's basically only the bore that differs on these engines.

I've probably got some lying around, as I've got several "spares only" 2.2 & 2.5 engines lying around. I'll have a look around  this weekend, I'll probably find some in the shed, along with shedloads of other 2.2/2.5 bits

Cheers, David