BMC 1.5 Oil Level Problem Solved!

john cowie

Featured Posts

Hi - I never thought the subject of the oil level would create so much interest. However, having paid a visit to Calcutt Boat who know all there is to know about these engines, I now have the definitive answer.....

The dipstick tube is located on the starter motor side of the engine about half way down and the top of it is 7.25 inches above the bottom of the crankcase. The dipstick itself slides down into this tube a distance of 12 inches at which point it hits the bottom of the sump. The min mark is 43mm from the bottom of the stick and the max is 53mm above the bottom of the stick. (sorry for mixing my units).

Hopefully this has put a lot of minds at rest

Cheers - John

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Measured my 1.5 dipstick at the weekend and the measurements are the same as John quoted . The only measurement I can add is the overall length of my dipstick is 463mm. My sump is the standard BMC vehicle sump not a marinised version . 

• 1 year later...

I've re-found this thread after intending to send a private message to John!

Is there a place where we could keep useful miscellaneous data on the BMC?

One way to to update the list and keep it as a sticky. and on every update to lose the 'old' sticky? Just an idea.