Providing 12 volt power

Featured Posts

Hi

As I have little knowledge on what's best regarding 12 volt electrics wonder what people would recommend I have a beta marine Bv2203 engine with an early prop gen which on forums they have been reasonable for front pully damage due to the operation of the generator.this week whilst out on the boat the generator failed not the first time this has happened,unfortunately I found that this provided the mains power to run the battery chargers. On inspecting the system the boat alternator only charges the starter battery. My battery bank is 440 amps the alternator  is 55amps I have a victron 3000 inverter which I use to power a mains fridge the boat has all led lights we do not use the television or washer whilst off shore mains. The boat is mainly on a marina with the odd week away and weekends.I am thinking of removing the generator and looking at the following ways to provide power, fit solar panels.convert wiring on alternator fitted to split charging,what's the best way? Fit another alternator in place of generator to charge the leisure battery's what would you say would be best combination. One last question does anyone know which Kubota engine is the same as the beta bv2203 ? 

50 minutes ago, chevron said:

Hi

As I have little knowledge on what's best regarding 12 volt electrics wonder what people would recommend I have a beta marine Bv2203 engine with an early prop gen which on forums they have been reasonable for front pully damage due to the operation of the generator.this week whilst out on the boat the generator failed not the first time this has happened,unfortunately I found that this provided the mains power to run the battery chargers. On inspecting the system the boat alternator only charges the starter battery. My battery bank is 440 amps the alternator  is 55amps I have a victron 3000 inverter which I use to power a mains fridge the boat has all led lights we do not use the television or washer whilst off shore mains. The boat is mainly on a marina with the odd week away and weekends.I am thinking of removing the generator and looking at the following ways to provide power, fit solar panels.convert wiring on alternator fitted to split charging,what's the best way? Fit another alternator in place of generator to charge the leisure battery's what would you say would be best combination. One last question does anyone know which Kubota engine is the same as the beta bv2203 ? 

A friend of mine had one of those units fitted from new to his boat several years ago when they were an unknown, untested engine. Suffice to say he had so much trouble in many ways that eventualy he did a deal with beta who took it back and he ended up with a standard beta unit and no problems since. I dont know for sure but I think they have been discontinued, google will be your friend to follow up what to do with yours.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, chevron said:

Hi

I think you wll find that the Kubota engine is BV2203  which is probably called by Beta the Beta 50.

This is the latest version of the Beta engine manual which may not be right for your engine depending it's age  -  http://betamarine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/operators_manuals/43-60HP-KC-OM-221-04307-REV-00.pdf

Edited by Chewbacka