Water pump

Featured Posts

I'm starting to try to do the maintenance of my boat myself: oil, filter, that's well understood.

Now, I ask myself beginner questions about water pump !

My NB is equipped with a Beta Marine 43 Greenline, a RPM1500 and a keelcooling. There is no heat exchanger.

However, I had some questions about the cooling system: is there a pump that takes water to keelcooling? Where is it ?

I have not seen anything like this on the maintenance manual. It is only about the version with the heat exchanger ...

My best regards,

Edited by Dream On

The water pump is at the front of the engine and is driven by the same drive belt that turns the small alternaftor that charges the engine start battery. It is a normal diesel engine style water pump. No maintenance needed apart freom checking the tension on the drive belt. Not too tight, not too slack. When it fails it is replaced. Follow the two big hoses from the skin tank. One will go to the water pump. Probably the lower hose with cooled water returning.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Thank you very much for your answer.
I'll look tomorrow morning where this pump is ...

Could you confirm that there is no maintenance outside the belt monitoring? No impeller to change for example ?

1 hour ago, Dream On said:

I'm starting to try to do the maintenance of my boat myself: oil, filter, that's well understood.

Now, I ask myself beginner questions about water pump !

My NB is equipped with a Beta Marine 43 Greenline, a RPM1500 and a keelcooling. There is no heat exchanger.

However, I had some questions about the cooling system: is there a pump that takes water to keelcooling? Where is it ?

I have not seen anything like this on the maintenance manual. It is only about the version with the heat exchanger ...

My best regards,

If you are worried that you don't have the appropriate manual ring BetaMarine, they are very helpful, and they they will probably be able to supply one. I think my manual covers both keel-cooled and non-keeled.

You are right: it is the same manual for the engine with heat exchange or keel-cooled.
Indeed, the manual talks about the tension of the belt of the alternator driving the pump. Nothing more.
So much better :)

I learn thanks to you ;)

9 hours ago, Dream On said:

You are right: it is the same manual for the engine with heat exchange or keel-cooled.
Indeed, the manual talks about the tension of the belt of the alternator driving the pump. Nothing more.
So much better :)

I learn thanks to you ;)

You will probably find your engine is built by Kubota which are awesome. Beta only marinise stuff. Finding precisely what engine you have in your boat can save you ooooodles of mony on parts over the years.

11 hours ago, Dream On said:

Could you confirm that there is no maintenance outside the belt monitoring? No impeller to change for example ?

Think about a car - this has exactly the same type of water pump (built into the front of the engine and powered by the fan-belt) how many times have you had to replace the car water pump ?.

If you really want to be 'safe' you can carry a complete spare pump (remove hoses & it simply bolts on & off)

Here is a picture of mine (mine is a Ford engine but just as an example)

s-l1600.jpg

You may also have a separate 'fresh water' pump which is mounted on the engine and driven by the fan-belt.

Mine is actually driven by replacing the hydraulic pump - but the water pump is also available as a 'fan-belt driven' option.

This type of pump does have an impellor that will require servicing / checking / replacing. Mine are replaced annually.

Again pics purely for example. (This is 625 litres. min - 9900 gal/hr pump).

a5.jpg

IMG_20151210_175530.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Think about a car - this has exactly the same type of water pump (built into the front of the engine and powered by the fan-belt) how many times have you had to replace the car water pump ?.

If you really want to be 'safe' you can carry a complete spare pump (remove hoses & it simply bolts on & off)

Here is a picture of mine (mine is a Ford engine but just as an example)

s-l1600.jpg

You may also have a separate 'fresh water' pump which is mounted on the engine and driven by the fan-belt.

Mine is actually driven by replacing the hydraulic pump - but the water pump is also available as a 'fan-belt driven' option.

This type of pump does have an impellor that will require servicing / checking / replacing. Mine are replaced annually.

Again pics purely for example. (This is 625 litres. min - 9900 gal/hr pump).

All correct & helpful but I think the OP says tank/keel cooled and if so will not have a raw water (rather than fresh water) pump UNLESS the boat has a wet exhaust. Not very common on narrowboats but there are some about.

I would suggest that can or sea water is anything but "fresh", calling the raw water pump a fresh water pomp gets it confused with the engine water pump as shown above.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

All correct & helpful but I think the OP says tank/keel cooled and if so will not have a raw water (rather than fresh water) pump UNLESS the boat has a wet exhaust. Not very common on narrowboats but there are some about.

I would suggest that can or sea water is anything but "fresh", calling the raw water pump a fresh water pomp gets it confused with the engine water pump as shown above.

Of course you are correct, but, I didn't want to confuse the issue further by calling it a 'sea-water pump'.

Yes - Raw water pump would have been the correct term to use.

I mentioned the raw-water pump as a 'neighbour' had one on his BMC engine Narrowboat - he only realised when it overheated and he found it with a shredded impellor

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Of course you are correct, but, I didn't want to confuse the issue further by calling it a 'sea-water pump'.

Yes - Raw water pump would have been the correct term to use.

I mentioned the raw-water pump as a 'neighbour' had one on his BMC engine Narrowboat - he only realised when it overheated and he found it with a shredded impellor

As is so often the case this usually happens when someone with a  dry exhaust tank/keel cooled boat and less technical ability gets hold of a heat exchanger engine and does not know how to convert it to tank cooling so the raw water system is connected to the skin tank. The other reason is where a direct raw water cooled engine is to be fitted to a dry exhaust keel/tank cooled boat. This one is understandable  but there will be no engine water pump in that case.  It      would be a really poor job on a BMC because all it needs is the engine water pump blanking plate removing, a pump fitted and the thing re-piped.

Thank you very much for your help.
My narrowboat is normal, with dry exhaust :)

But my English is poor and I do not always have the right technical vocabulary.
This morning, I found the water pump in the front of the engine, powered by a belt. Everything is normal !
And I understand and I know the engine better.

My best regards,

Lau

1 hour ago, Dream On said:

Thank you very much for your help.
My narrowboat is normal, with dry exhaust :)

But my English is poor and I do not always have the right technical vocabulary.
This morning, I found the water pump in the front of the engine, powered by a belt. Everything is normal !
And I understand and I know the engine better.

My best regards,

Lau

Good, that's what we are here for and very much appreciate getting such feedback.