Which idiot puts the bath outel below the waterline?

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, mross said:

On merchant ships, the deck scuppers exit below the waterline and have no valves.  They are made of solid drawn pipe, heavy duty and are regularly surveyed.  I've known swimming pool dumps to leak but they were repaired in situ after a diver had put a plug in.  They would be renewed at the next dry-dock.

There must be plenty of narrowboats with deck drains exiting underwater, typically a pipe from a drain channel on the deck straight down through the  uxter plate.  I don't know what the reasoning is, on a steel boat it's something else to worry about getting corroded.   

Edited by Neil2

51 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

There must be plenty of narrowboats with deck drains exiting underwater, typically a pipe from a drain channel on the deck straight down through the baseplate.  I don't know what the reasoning is, on a steel boat it's something else to worry about getting corroded.   

Really? I've never seen one like that, obviously haven't been looking carefully enough these past 40 years... Which shell builder did those?

31 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Really? I've never seen one like that, obviously haven't been looking carefully enough these past 40 years...

Me neither. Be lots of fun when it corrodes through..,

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Brown trouser moment.  ;)

And wet feet!!

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Really? I've never seen one like that, obviously haven't been looking carefully enough these past 40 years... Which shell builder did those?

I think I had them on my old boat which was a pinder shell

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

As Peterboat says Pinders seemed to favour them but I've seen them on other boats.  You might not notice unless you knew what they were, the pipes just look like supports for the drainage channels at first sight.  I suppose they are technically a more efficient way of getting rid of surface water but a liability on an old boat I would have thought.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Why would you need seacocks if the fittings are 10" or so above the waterline as recommended?

You probably wouldn't, but on those that aren't it could be a wise precaution, particularly if there was a possibility of them being covered. 

The lowest skin fitting on my boat is the bath that is about 8" above the water line with full tanks, and would be a pain to have to remove the bath panel to turn a sea cock off, so I rely on 2 jubilee clips as I suspect most narrow boats do.

Neil