Narrowboat Insurance

ex-Celtic Star

Featured Posts

Craft Insure for both boats.

Used to be Towergate for Juno and, before that, for Ripple.  When I got Lutine Craft Insure were willing to cover me withou a hull survey.

Towergate then mucked up a renewal which left Juno uninsured for a dew days so I contacted Craft Insure who were very happy to offer cover. I get a two boat discount. 

25 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

The late George Michael had a Narrowboat in the Pool at the front of his Goring Home.was moved/sold a year or two ago.

Knew he had one as bumped into him on my former Father-in-Law's Wide Beam as we used that track loads....he was alright then, despite being in a party mode...had about 8 crew all ...ermmm, of a type, between land and boat.

Don't think he ever got further than mid stream + 50yds up or down...probably wrong as he had a palace in London as well...not my style these big money boats....happy to take the big money if someone is offering :D

15 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Thanks for this....5 million 3rd Party!!....are you in those big rich marinas!?

....or is that standard for legal and in case the George Michael brings his Gin Palace up the river in the early hours ...oh hang on sorry, ermm someone who is alive and well to do :mellow:

Do you have a limit on value of any one specific item within the 2,700?

No, I'm not in a marina - just moored on the river.

The limit on any one item within the personal effects on my policy is only £250. But to be honest I can't really think of anything I've got that's worth more than that. My laptop is about 5 years old so probably only worth £100 at the most. My hi-fi equipment is worth more than that combined, but I'm sure I could make claims for the speakers and amplifier separately. All the boat equipment, generator, battery chargers, etc, does not come under personal effects.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

No, I'm not in a marina - just moored on the river.

The limit on any one item within the personal effects on my policy is only £250. But to be honest I can't really think of anything I've got that's worth more than that. My laptop is about 5 years old so probably only worth £100 at the most. My hi-fi equipment is worth more than that combined, but I'm sure I could make claims for the speakers and amplifier separately. All the boat equipment, generator, battery chargers, etc, does not come under personal effects.

Many thanks for that....my single item limit would be the same I think but was astounded by the need for 5 million 3rd Party - I hadn't even contemplated more than 1 million, but not looked to set mine up yet. Good point about a system, guess they would need individual itemisation on a receipt....yep we all keep those don't we ;) - Does it cover visitor items if they stay on board? If I had my 3 kids on board god knows how much their iPads and games etc. are worth.

Good to know the basics for the boat are excluded from the value - many thanks again Blackrose

Hi again,

After a short delay, we're now at the boat-buying stage so we've researched and decided on our insurance.  We've gone with Craftinsure on several grounds:

* the policy fits our requirements in terms of the amount of personal effects and third party cover - 5 million makes sense nowadays

* being able to read the sample policy on the website prior to purchase is a reassurance - unlike e.g. GJW where we couldn't find any small print to read before purchasing

* it was quick and straightforward to get a quote, and then to purchase the policy online - unlike e.g. SAGA who posted out a quote, it wasn't available instantly online, and then to purchase you had to post back forms

* some contributors above had used it for some time, and spoke well of their experience

* and it was extremely competitive, especially as we went for the higher excess because we are not really interested in insuring (or claiming) for small amounts

I hope our experience may help others to think through what would work best for them.  We're not wanting anyone to blindly follow us. I would add, we have no connection with anyone in the insurance industry. We're just new boat owners.

Hope that helps, and thanks to all the posters for your help.

Edited by ex-Celtic Star
Corrected information - in the original post I said we'd used a different company. Sorry for any confusion. We really are insured with Craftinsure!
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

£3 million is the CRT minimum, IIRC.

Yes, and you also need £3 million for some other waterways, such as the Manchester Ship Canal -- and checking is part of their process to let you go it.

7 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Yes, and you also need £3 million for some other waterways, such as the Manchester Ship Canal -- and checking is part of their process to let you go it.

:cheers:  - OK so we're up to 3 million on the big ship canals.....this one has 5 million....am assuming that is a - Muoy Policeee 'is signifikantleeee Biggs than yows!!?

:D

dont forget if you recommend anyone to GJW make sure they quote your policy number when they apply as GJW  will then send you a check for £20 as a thank you.

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

dont forget if you recommend anyone to GJW make sure they quote your policy number when they apply as GJW  will then send you a check for £20 as a thank you.

Oops, sorry, we actually went with Craftinsure.  I've corrected my post above. 

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Evening boaters,

Can anyone please recommend insurers that don't require a survey?

Thank you..

Most don't require a survey until the boat reaches at least 25 yrs assuming its a steel boat and your talking about fully comp. Third party insurance doesn't require a survey. 

Some insurers don't require a survey until 30 or 40 years. 

Eg:-

https://www.craftinsure.net/mobile/

Or

https://www.insure4boats.co.uk/?ref=ppcgi4b247&gclid=CMPnx5fy7NMCFdXNGwodWOEOag&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by rusty69

Ahh....thanks Brian.  Not had a narrowboat of my own before but do believe that being on the middle level has it's advantages :P

Just got a quote....£108 3rd party plus mechanical and hull.  1979 (my estimate) 30' springer.

As an addition for boaters thinking of insuring their boat contents. In our nearly thirty years of mooring all over the place we have not yet been boarded and nicked from. We found in the early days that although expensive to maintain thee best form of insurance for your contents is a liveaboard BIG dog with a proper bark, scumbags tend to move onto the next boat rather than risk it. Go ahead punk make my day.

On 04/07/2017 at 22:38, Tom766 said:

Ahh....thanks Brian.  Not had a narrowboat of my own before but do believe that being on the middle level has it's advantages :P

Just got a quote....£108 3rd party plus mechanical and hull.  1979 (my estimate) 30' springer.

Don't take my word for it, check it out.

On 05/07/2017 at 16:41, mrsmelly said:

As an addition for boaters thinking of insuring their boat contents. In our nearly thirty years of mooring all over the place we have not yet been boarded and nicked from. We found in the early days that although expensive to maintain thee best form of insurance for your contents is a liveaboard BIG dog with a proper bark, scumbags tend to move onto the next boat rather than risk it. Go ahead punk make my day.

How about a small dog with a pathetic yip?

My springer is with insure4boats, I also took out war cover for an extra £5 a year but there is something in the wording that it does not include certain countries at war including the UK, so not quite sure what I am covered for.