Buzz bars

jddevel

Featured Posts

1/ by max current and number of connections needed

2/ near where they are needed!

3/ depends on the type (insulated or non-insulated) but anyway, if you don't have a convenient bit of wood to attach them to, you could screw (or bond, if water is the other side) a thick sheet of ply onto steel.

Various sources, here is one: https://www.asap-supplies.com/electrical-components/busbars-power-posts-connectors/busbars-power-distribution

Also look for Blue Sea Systems and BEP Marine eg http://www.force4.co.uk/department/electrical/electrical-accessories/busbars-terminal-blocks.html

And, if you are researching them, or looking for suppliers, they are properly called busbars or bus bars.  (comes from the Latin omnibus - of all- because they carry all the current).

Sometimes confused with Buss or Bussmann - a manufacturer of fuses.

11 hours ago, mross said:

And, if you are researching them, or looking for suppliers, they are properly called busbars or bus bars.  (comes from the Latin omnibus - of all- because they carry all the current).

Sometimes confused with Buss or Bussmann - a manufacturer of fuses.

So that is why the  Ticket collecting  person on a Bus is called a conductor?:lol:

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Thank you.

By maximum current does it mean total battery amperage?

What does total battery amperage mean?

By maximum current, it means the maximum current that could flow between different terminals on the busbar. This could be the full output of the alternator flowing into the battery (if the alternator connection to the battery is via the busbar). It could be the starter motor current (if the starter motor connection is via the busbar - probably not!). It could be the current to a 3kw inverter (if an inverter is fitted and routed via the busbar). But more likely it will be the maximum current going to the boat's 12v services - all depends on what the busbar is used for.

The more I try and understand and think I`ve comprehended the advice from the forum the more I conclude that I need, in order to get this boat into the water in the next coupe of months, the professional to sort this part of the sailaway out. Once the basics are there I can study and learn.

Just need to find the right boatyard for the job.

6 minutes ago, jddevel said:

The more I try and understand and think I`ve comprehended the advice from the forum the more I conclude that I need, in order to get this boat into the water in the next coupe of months, the professional to sort this part of the sailaway out. Once the basics are there I can study and learn.

Just need to find the right boatyard for the job.

You're depressed. Sleep on it!

Thank you Nicknorman. Sound advice. At my age finding the learning curve frustrating. Whilst I consider myself quite a practical person if I see something I find it easier to understand than the written word. Never been diagnosed with dyslexia but a mild form may be my problem- or is it an excuse for just being a bit thick!!!

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Thank you Nicknorman. Sound advice. At my age finding the learning curve frustrating. Whilst I consider myself quite a practical person if I see something I find it easier to understand than the written word. Never been diagnosed with dyslexia but a mild form may be my problem- or is it an excuse for just being a bit thick!!!

No I think it just illustrates that "a picture is worth 1000 words".

Think about why you want the busbar. What's it for? Obviously it's feeding several things, so what are they? What is the maximum current that they could demand if they were all on at the same time? Once you know the answer to the last question you know what size busbar you require. 

With my job I use buss bar p/no VA/189B/2 from a company called Furneaux Riddall, these comply with the BSS and all the relevant BMET ISO's. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer. They have a very good website.

26 minutes ago, andyb116 said:

With my job I use buss bar p/no VA/189B/2 from a company called Furneaux Riddall, these comply with the BSS and all the relevant BMET ISO's. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer. They have a very good website.

Useful shop, thanks. Only trouble is it doesn't quote any current or voltage ratings.

1 hour ago, andyb116 said:

Nice :) 300A

http://www.furneauxriddall.com/cgi-bin/sh000004.pl?WD=va%2f189b%2f2&PN=Enclosed-Busbar-4-x-6mm-Studs---12-x-4mm-Screws-VA_189B_2.html#SID=983

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Fine for -ve but I think id want something insulated for +ve.

Worth noting that the BSS demands a cover.