Moderating

Featured Posts

Just now, nicknorman said:

Personally I think it should be up to the person on the receiving end of the insult to report it, or not. Don’t fall into the trap of being outraged on someone else’s behalf! Different people have very different thresholds of what they find upsetting and you can know it.

But I LIKE being outraged on behalf of the victim!

But no this misses the point. If name calling is banned in the site rules (and I think it is but can't find them to check), then the rules should be applied regardless of whether I agree with them or not. I think as a matter of policy calling people self righteous prigs is ungentlemanly and such insults ought to be deleted regardless in the interests of running an orderly house, regardless of whether the target feels insulted. 

Otherwise, its a case of "Where chunderboat leads, CWF follows" in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Personally I think it should be up to the person on the receiving end of the insult to report it, or not. Don’t fall into the trap of being outraged on someone else’s behalf! Different people have very different thresholds of what they find upsetting and you can’t know it.

Especially given WV dealt with it admirably himself.

I see Dan finally read my PM complaining about the actions of a mod some 2.5 weeks after I wrote it, but didn’t deem any response necessary so presumably he is happy with that mod’s actions. The action I objected to was to publicly censure me because I used a phrase which is the title of a pop song. Apparently, if you change the verb in the song title to a completely different word that doesn’t rhyme nor even share any letters at all, that is an insult and thus I was a naughty boy. So it seems that one can be censured for something one didn’t say at all, not even close, which seems barking mad to me and something not even LadyC or LadyM ever did. The rot is setting in with absolute power corrupting absolutely so be warned, one can be censured for anything any time a mod is feeling a little down or insecure, and needing to exert their power to make themselves feel better, and there is no come back. If you think that sounds unlikely and I must be making it up, well I hear where you are coming from but unfortunately it’s true.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But I LIKE being outraged on behalf of the victim!

But no this misses the point. If name calling is banned in the site rules (and I think it is but can't find them to check), then the rules should be applied regardless of whether I agree with them or not. I think as a matter of policy calling people self righteous prigs is ungentlemanly and such insults ought to be deleted regardless in the interests of running an orderly house, regardless of whether the target feels insulted. 

Otherwise, its a case of "Where chunderboat leads, CWF follows" in my opinion. 

It’s just a matter of degree really. Whilst you might not want the degree of freedom TB gives, equally I would suggest that one doesn’t want this place to sound like the vicar’s tea party either. One can only have so much to say about scones and jam.

Insults such as you mention only serve to make the originator look foolish and ignorant, because they are too thick to think of a calm and rational response. I think that is a good way to regulate the balance of influence on here! On TB I sometimes give my enemies a “greenie” for such posts because they have helped me show the group how thick and ignorant they are! Not that we have any real enemies on TB of course, it is all just good natured sparring, like young stags! Or puppies nibbling each other’s ears!

Edited by nicknorman

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I see Dan finally read my PM complaining about the actions of a mod some 2.5 weeks after I wrote it, but didn’t deem any response necessary so presumably he is happy with that mod’s actions. The action I objected to was to publicly censure me because I used a phrase which is the title of a pop song. Apparently, if you change the verb in the song title to a completely different word that doesn’t rhyme nor even share any letters at all, that is an insult and thus I was a naughty boy. So it seems that one can be censured for something one didn’t say at all, not even close, which seems barking mad to me and something not even LadyC or LadyM ever did. The rot is setting in with absolute power corrupting absolutely so be warned, one can be censured for anything any time a mod is feeling a little down or insecure, and needing to exert their power to make themselves feel better, and there is no come back. If you think that sounds unlikely and I must be making it up, well I hear where you are coming from but unfortunately it’s true.

It’s just a matter of degree really. Whilst you might not want the degree of freedom TB gives, equally I would suggest that one doesn’t want this place to sound like the vicar’s tea party either. One can only have so much to say about scones and jam.

You self righteous prig. 

:giggles:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I think that I would agree with "Team Mod". Now, if the last letter of "prig" were replaced by a couple of others, that would be a different matter.

My opening stance would be that biological sweating is never O.K. But then, what if it is used in the form of rhyming slang, e.g. "She kicked him up the bottle"? Then again, if I called someone a "heel", that is a biological term but is hardly a pistols-at-dawn insult. You raise a very interesting point. MtB.

Oh dear, it looks like I will be banned come the summer, as I always sweat biologically (Is there any other way?) when I get hot. :mellow:

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Oh dear, it looks like I will be banned come the summer, as I always sweat biologically (Is there any other way?) when I get hot. :mellow:

Well spotted, Mr. Hound! A greeno for you (and a correction for my original post).

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

In direct response to MtB's no.197 regarding the Brexit thread and name-calling, in my humble opinion the online community has dealt with that admirably all by itself. No heavy-handed (or even light-handed) regulation necessary.

Oy don't bring yer flippin Brexit rubbish on ere ;)

On 02/12/2017 at 12:49, Machpoint005 said:

In direct response to MtB's no.197 regarding the Brexit thread and name-calling, in my humble opinion the online community has dealt with that admirably all by itself. No heavy-handed (or even light-handed) regulation necessary.

I'm terribly tempted to call you a self righteous prig, as it is deemed not to be an insult!

But I won't because I don't think you are.