Moderating

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If deleting, a PM containing a copy of the deleted text is good form, as it gives the member the opportunity to re-draft their text in a compliant manner and re-post. 

Excellent suggestion!

27 minutes ago, mross said:

If the meaning is clear, and no forum rules are being broken, Mods should not edit posts.  If the post is unhelpful or inaccurate due to mistyping, I think the post should be quoted and correction put in the quote, not the original.  Who knows, the mod may completely misrepresent what the poster intended.  Mods can also PM the poster and point out the confusion.

Completely agree.

Also, in the past there have been some really humerous unintentional typos (some from me even) which other forumites have pointed out and offered alternative meanings.

I for one would hate to lose this source of amusement.

Edited by cuthound
Edited to remove duplicate post.

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

There are times when correcting a typo does no harm: for instance, recently someone wrote about a "bulge pump". Now, I do quite like the idea of a bulge pump: I imagine it swelling up when it sucks in the water, and slimming down again when it blows it out. But changing the "u" to an "I" - the two letters are adjacent on the keyboard and it's easy to press the wrong one - does no harm whatsoever. (I did not change it, incidentally!)

No Mike, you are getting this wrong. It is micro-modding, breathing down necks etc to correct such typos. It is sort of saying "I can see what the poster meant, but you lot are clearly far too thick to see it so I'm going to edit it so all you thickos will be able to understand it. Aren't I a clever chap!" Or to put it another way, patronising and unnecessary.

To be honest if you did it to me, I would be disappointed but not upset because it reflects badly on you, not me. However I would rather not see you become unpopular for it so would probably make out I was mortally offended just so you might learn from it.

We notice that Dan is not very good at grammar and spelling, and yet you never correct his posts. Why is that? (Rhetorical with a ?).

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I, and I'm sure, other Moddies, am reading these opinions with interest and taking note of them.

And not editting, one hopes.

Rog

Edited by dogless

4 hours ago, system 4-50 said:
5 hours ago, Athy said:

It contributes to a sense of somebody leaning over your shoulder and monitoring what you are doing, 

I always thought that was the role of a moderator.  Without monitoring how can they know when something needs attention?

40 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I always thought that was the role of a moderator.  Without monitoring how can they know when something needs attention?

"It contributes to a sense of somebody leaning over your shoulder and monitoring what you are doing,   " 

Take the sentence as a whole. We need the moderators to monitor. We don't need to be made conscious of it.

My fav mod of all the time I have visited this site was Lady Muck, before she became disenchanted. She had a delicate touch.

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

My fav mod of all the time I have visited this site was Lady Muck, before she became disenchanted. She had a delicate touch

Some of the others had a "light the touch paper" approach

46 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

"It contributes to a sense of somebody leaning over your shoulder and monitoring what you are doing,   " 

Take the sentence as a whole. We need the moderators to monitor. We don't need to be made conscious of it.

My fav mod of all the time I have visited this site was Lady Muck, before she became disenchanted. She had a delicate touch.

Sorry but the way I approach forums is to consider the moderator as I write, that way I have "put my foot in it" so to speak.  Perhaps if some posters were more conscious of the moderators we would have fewer problems for the Mods to deal with.

With regard to correcting my posts I am a great believer in lifelong learning (and know I am not perfect and so make mistakes) and if nobody points out to me something is wrong I will keep on doing it.  Not good.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

With regard to correcting my posts I am a great believer in lifelong learning (and know I am not perfect and so make mistakes) and if nobody points out to me something is wrong I will keep on doing it.  Not good.

The trouble is, if your post is corrected without your knowledge, you may not even know it has been modified, so will learn nothing.

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The trouble is, if your post is corrected without your knowledge, you may not even know it has been modified, so will learn nothing.

If you don't know true you won't learn but equally you won't be offended by it being altered so a win win as far as I am concerned.   It would seem a lot of forumites keep a check on if their post has been altered otherwise 1) it wouldn't arise as a problem and 2) nobody would feel they are having somebody looking over their shoulder.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If you don't know true you won't learn but equally you won't be offended by it being altered so a win win as far as I am concerned.   It would seem a lot of forumites keep a check on if their post has been altered otherwise 1) it wouldn't arise as a problem and 2) nobody would feel they are having somebody looking over their shoulder.

I think this thread and another were the direct result of :-

1.A question mark being added to a members post and

2.That member suggesting that part of his post had been deleted.

Regarding 2.

Perhaps he was just mistaken?

Just now, rusty69 said:

Thanks Mike, v kind of you

I had a bet on with myself but I didn't expect it to be Mike.

Hilarious as I have never seen any post altered to anything vaguely approaching that extent but I did know one of you would rise to the bait.

v