Moderating

Featured Posts

Please could we have as established and public forum policy that Mods do not pronounce or act with their Moderator's hat upon any topic that they have posted in as an ordinary forum member. That should be left to other Mods.

Ideally Mods would be low-volume posters. 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Please could we have as established and public forum policy that Mods do not pronounce or act with their Moderator's hat upon any topic that they have posted in as an ordinary forum member. That should be left to other Mods.

I've asked a similar question but maybe a little too vigorously for some. I was asked to raise the question in support and the topic closed.

19 minutes ago, gigoguy said:

I've asked a similar question but maybe a little too vigorously for some. I was asked to raise the question in support and the topic closed.

I thought your question was more of an accusation. Still it seems to have got you the result you were after.

Stop it, stop it who is tampering with my post?????  i didnt write any of the above. Stop it.......... 

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I blame Athy as he has been picked up before and when he does not like you having a go at him he contacts other guests such as Zenatomm

I'd agree with RichM in another topic and say this has now run it's course. A point has been made and hopefully some lessons have been learned on all sides.

If there is a mod looking in maybe the topic could come to an end?

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I'm sorry system it was your topic and your question. It's not for me to ask if it's run it's course. 

5 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Interesting that this should come up, I do hope it does not lead to another Great Cull, I thought that moderation had settled to a sensible level and another round of warnings and bannings will not follow.

Phik

I would agree.  To me one or two appear to be what my Grandmother used to call "trailing their coat tails" translated as looking for a fight.

Personally I haven't noticed anything untoward in the Modding.

On 15/05/2017 at 22:33, system 4-50 said:

Seconded.

I requested this a couple of times when the bag-of-bones/Lady Cassandra debacle was at its height.

My suggestion was comprehensively ignored, as I suggest yours will be. 

Doesn't stop it being an excellent policy though, should Dan eventually see the need.

It's an interesting point of view, but why should Moddies be "low-volume posters"? We have been appointed largely because we enjoy taking part in forum activities and feel that CWDF is a valuable resource for boaters and others interested in waterways, so it is only natural that we enjoy joining in. I certainly do, most of the time. I have no idea if I make more or fewer posts than other Moddies - I suspect more than some, fewer than others - but I would not see the imposition of a post limit as a forward step.

No one is suggesting you post less, in fact your contributions are capable of being entertaining and even informative. 

What is irksome is when you actively moderate a debate in which you are involved. 

I would have thought you intelligent enough to recognise the potential for a conflict of interest. 

Even if you don't feel such conflict, that it is now the subject of debate should alert you to the possibility it can be perceived as such. 

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's an interesting point of view, but why should Moddies be "low-volume posters"? We have been appointed largely because we enjoy taking part in forum activities and feel that CWDF is a valuable resource for boaters and others interested in waterways, so it is only natural that we enjoy joining in. I certainly do, most of the time. I have no idea if I make more or fewer posts than other Moddies - I suspect more than some, fewer than others - but I would not see the imposition of a post limit as a forward step.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, hounddog said:

No one is suggesting you post less, in fact your contributions are capable of being entertaining and even informative. 

Did you not read the post by the OP

"Ideally Mods would be low-volume posters"

Well, at least one person is suggesting it then! 

Edited by rusty69

Oh and whilst on the subject, I see that if a topic is closed this doesn't show up on the list of topics like it used to, and it's not even that obvious if you are reading it - just the absence of quote buttons and right at the bottom, the closed text in the reply box. Any chance of having a "closed" icon on the topic list to avoid wasting time?

48 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

i've always thought that mods should have two log-ins, one for posting as normal humans and the other for mod activities.

Unless the two accounts were in different names somebody would still make  accusations of bias. 

I am also of the opinion that a person with a low level of posting wouldn't make a good mod.   I think they would either be too far removed from the general membership or get bored by reading and not making any contribution.

• Greenie 1

On 16/05/2017 at 08:21, nicknorman said:

Oh and whilst on the subject, I see that if a topic is closed this doesn't show up on the list of topics like it used to, and it's not even that obvious if you are reading it - just the absence of quote buttons and right at the bottom, the closed text in the reply box. Any chance of having a "closed" icon on the topic list to avoid wasting time?

Yes I noticed this too. The other thread on this subject was locked for no obvious reason which in itself was a piss poor modding decision, leading to this thread being started (getting back on topic). And it has now sunk without trace on my screen. Not good.

13 minutes ago, mross said:

Having your posts publicly 'corrected' or 'tidied up' is not a good idea.

I think it can be. Recently, for example, I tidied up a post by correcting a spelling mistake and inserting a question mark at the end of a question. I see no harm in that; indeed, if I'd made a similar typing error and someone else corrected it, I would be appreciative.