Thames visiting licence

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

• If you'r going to the K&A and not coming back then a Gold is a waste of money.

Hi Old Goat... it would be a single trip on the Thames, as I will then be heading to the other end of the K&A at Bath.

The other way round, would be to go down the Severn and in at Bristol - but I believe that can be a bit tricky and my skills are rusty!

7 minutes ago, Cinimod said:

Hi Old Goat... it would be a single trip on the Thames, as I will then be heading to the other end of the K&A at Bath.

The other way round, would be to go down the Severn and in at Bristol - but I believe that can be a bit tricky and my skills are rusty!

The point both he & I were making is that you need a C&RT licence for the K&A, NOT an EA or Gold licence. So it is not restricted to Jan-Dec and buying a 12 month one will be cheaper than 2x 6 month ones.

26 minutes ago, Cinimod said:

The Thames is a much more pleasant trip....

If you come on to the Thames via Dukes Cut (the trip down to Oxford via the canal is not particularly pleasant), then the Lockie at King's is all setup for extracting money from folks, whereas the lockie at Osney is less so, especially with the need for separation dirung these troublesome times. You'll get a fantastic view of Oxford as you travel along Port Meadow, much much more pleasdant that the wall to wall boats down the canal.

As tey say Stateside - Enjoy...

32 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The Thames is a much more pleasant trip....

If you come on to the Thames via Dukes Cut (the trip down to Oxford via the canal is not particularly pleasant), then the Lockie at King's is all setup for extracting money from folks, whereas the lockie at Osney is less so, especially with the need for separation dirung these troublesome times. You'll get a fantastic view of Oxford as you travel along Port Meadow, much much more pleasdant that the wall to wall boats down the canal.

As tey say Stateside - Enjoy...

That does depend on the time of year...before Easter a couple of years ago we had a right old job finding a lockie who wanted to take money for a visitor licence! 

CRT license starts the month you apply for it, the Gold License (which covers CRT and EA waters) runs from Jan to Dec of the year in which it is purchased. EA does sell a range of licenses for the Thames, so no need to rush that section of the trip unless you have some other deadline.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but a 1 week Thames visitor licence is only about twice the cost of a 1 day, so unless you are really strapped for time it’s worth getting a week and enjoying the trip, perhaps going upstream fron Dukes Cut first, its very pleasent.

56 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but a 1 week Thames visitor licence is only about twice the cost of a 1 day, so unless you are really strapped for time it’s worth getting a week and enjoying the trip, perhaps going upstream fron Dukes Cut first, its very pleasent.

I assumed the OP - as most folks do - wanted to rush through the Thames to get back on a marrower ditch...

However - yes - it's exceedingly pleasant on the upper - upper Thames. Virtually no shops (unless you don't mind walking a fair distance until you get to Lechlade. Worth also pottering up a bit further to the junction with the T&S.

Hi All...

Thank you all so much for your help and support so far - massively appreciated.

BUT - I think I have hit a snag... my starting point is York, so I need to get to Oxford first, and looking at it, the Figure of Three locks are closed due to storm damage, probably until next year.  Does anyone know if this is correct?

Trying to work out if I can go round it...  I tend to use canalplan AC - but that does not appear to have an option to automatically avoid closures and I am not sure how to work it out otherwise.  Is there something better?

It looks like I may be able to go up and round the leeds and liverpool (which will add 4 days to my journey, possibly longer due to restricted passages due to low water) and then across the Bridgewater canal (which it looks like I can stay a maximum of 7 days) so easily doable in 3... 

The rest of the journey down to the K&A looks clear at the moment fortunately... it does say time on the Thames is over 13 hours, so could be pushing it to get down to the Reading lock - would need some long days... 

Oh, and I am doing the whole trip solo...  Canal Plan is saying 533 miles, 339 locks... 

4 hours ago, Cinimod said:

Hi All...

Thank you all so much for your help and support so far - massively appreciated.

BUT - I think I have hit a snag... my starting point is York, so I need to get to Oxford first, and looking at it, the Figure of Three locks are closed due to storm damage, probably until next year.  Does anyone know if this is correct?

Trying to work out if I can go round it...  I tend to use canalplan AC - but that does not appear to have an option to automatically avoid closures and I am not sure how to work it out otherwise.  Is there something better?

It looks like I may be able to go up and round the leeds and liverpool (which will add 4 days to my journey, possibly longer due to restricted passages due to low water) and then across the Bridgewater canal (which it looks like I can stay a maximum of 7 days) so easily doable in 3... 

The rest of the journey down to the K&A looks clear at the moment fortunately... it does say time on the Thames is over 13 hours, so could be pushing it to get down to the Reading lock - would need some long days... 

Oh, and I am doing the whole trip solo...  Canal Plan is saying 533 miles, 339 locks... 

Couldn't you go tidal Trent, non tidal Trent, River Soar, GU Leicester branch, Braunston then South Oxford down to Thames? All CRT licence except Thames and I believe much less locks and distance.

46 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Couldn't you go tidal Trent, non tidal Trent, River Soar, GU Leicester branch, Braunston then South Oxford down to Thames? All CRT licence except Thames and I believe much less locks and distance.

That's the way I'd go but you need a minimum of 2 crew and a VHF radio when on APB waters at the 'bottom end' of the Trent.

Screenshot (275).png

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the way I'd go but you need a minimum of 2 crew and a VHF radio when on APB waters at the 'bottom end' of the Trent.

Screenshot (275).png

I'd go out of Keadby lock, not via Goole.

I agree a VHF radio and 2 crew are a good idea but many don't bother and expect their mobile to have a signal in an emergency. Well we didn't bother with VHF from Keadby anyway (although I have a cheap VHF handheld now).

Make sure you have a suitable anchor ready to deploy and life jackets on rivers, especially tidal or in potential flood conditions.

Thanks for all the suggestions, canalplan did not take me that way as I had Seaways set to NEVER

It sounds like that is probably still a good idea, given that I am a bit rusty and will be on my own.

So thinking I should turn off the Ouse at Goole - though @Rambling Boater you are saying this is not what you would do?  Would you head off at Selby?

5 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

I'd go out of Keadby lock, not via Goole.

- go round and then onto the Trent at Keadby

Really appreciate your time and thoughts.

1 minute ago, Cinimod said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, canalplan did not take me that way as I had Seaways set to NEVER

It sounds like that is probably still a good idea, given that I am a bit rusty and will be on my own.

So thinking I should turn off the Ouse at Goole - though @Rambling Boater you are saying this is not what you would do?  Would you head off at Selby?

Unless you are are going round Falls you would come off the Ouse at Selby.  That manoeuvre will be the most difficult of the trip, perhaps the most difficult on the inland waterways. Compared  to the tidal Ouse that you will do from Naburn to Selby, the tidal Trent is a doddle, so don’t not go that way because you think it is hard, as long as you can meet the ABP requirements for the Keedby to Gainsborough section.

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

That manoeuvre will be the most difficult of the trip, perhaps the most difficult on the inland waterways. Compared  to the tidal Ouse that you will do from Naburn to Selby, the tidal Trent is a doddle, so don’t not go that way because you think it is hard, as long as you can meet the ABP requirements for the Keedby to Gainsborough section.

Hi John,

I can see what you mean on the entrance to the canal - https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5134694

My question is HOW, do you get into the lock as it appears to be right on the junction - and I can not see anywhere to easily moor up.

I found this for booking passage? - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/5175-selby-lock-booking-information

So do you need to book a time slot and they have the lock open?

Please, can you point me to the ABP requirements for the Keedby to Gainsborough section?

Very many thanks.

20 minutes ago, Cinimod said:

Please, can you point me to the ABP requirements for the Keedby to Gainsborough section?

I already posted a screenshot of the requirements and it was only 3 posts ago.

A minimum of two people on board and a working VHF radio.

Edit to add :

I'm sure the next question will be "what is a small vessel"

Answer "a small vessel is under 12 metres in length"

There is also a requirement for Colreg compliant Navigation lights if operating in the hours of darkness or in bad visibility.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cinimod said:

From York, if you want to avoid Trent Falls and Goole, you couid take the Selby Canal to the Aire and Calder, then New Junction canal and South Yorks navigation to Keadby. It is a bit of long way round but pleasant.

I've not gone the Trent Falls way but sounds like fun. :)  but you will need VHF etc as others have said. One day (sigh).

3 hours ago, Cinimod said:

Hi John,

I can see what you mean on the entrance to the canal - https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5134694

My question is HOW, do you get into the lock as it appears to be right on the junction - and I can not see anywhere to easily moor up.

I found this for booking passage? - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/5175-selby-lock-booking-information

So do you need to book a time slot and they have the lock open?

Very many thanks.

The lock is manned you don’t get off the boat!  

Went you get there the tide is running out very fast, you make a 180 deg turn in the river a bit above the lock, as you will be swept sideways as you turn quite some distance.  Once turned you can stem the tide and slowly drop backwards, of forwards into the tide depending one you end up in relation to the lock.  When you get the bow in the slack water in front of the lock you pile the power on and hard over into the lock.  Have a look on YouTube there are videos showing this.  You need to understand how the river works, and be ready for the fact that  it is full of trees that float up and down with the tide.  If you are doing this single handed I don’t know how you clear it if you get one stuck accross the bow.  

You need to be in touch with the lock keeper at Selby A couple of miles before you get there, I used VHF, hopefully you can use phone, as particularly if you are not in the first two boats you will need to hold back well before the bend in the river at Selby until the lock is ready, once you go round the bend you have the  railway and road brides to negotiate, so you can’t really hold back there, and then you are at the lock.

Once you have down the Ouse and off at Selby, the tidal Trent is a piece of cake.

On the booking you will have booked with Naburn a couple of days before, they will tell you what time to arrive there, they will let Selby know what boats are coming.

Have a look on the port of Hull/ABP website somewhere 5here are the rules for small pleasure craft.

Edited by john6767

Here is an entry to Selby lock coming from Naburn, there are many ways you can approach it though.  The only thing I would say wrong with this is that the lock was not quite ready for him when he got there.

I have watched a few of these now - very impressive... and gives me a good indication - that is a manoeuvre I definitely would have been able to make, so will need to try a couple of tests on the way down.  Then I will try and video it, and post it here, hopefully not making a mess of it!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.