Bath set up has no trap is this okay

KEWalker

Featured Posts

Hi everyone so I was looking at the set up for the bath as the surveyor recommended fitting a non return valve. The thing that I have a question about is the point where the bath plug joins the hose which attaches to the pump. It seems the pump hose is screwed directly to the plug drainer and I'm concerned that this will mean loads of bits going in to the pump. I don't know how you would fit a trap though because the bath has no space under it. I don't know about this set up so any experience would be helpful. (Hope my description is clear enough I don't know right words for all this stuff yet!) Thanks 

This is the normal way there's no need for a trap and as you say often no room anyway.   It's advisable to make the pipe from the bath drain to the pump longer than the pipe from the pump to the outlet so that when you switch the pump off the water in the pipe has somewhere to go rather than draining back into the bath.  A lot of boats you get that annoying bit of dirty water coming back up the plug hole. 

A trap is different from a non-return valve.  A trap is a U-bend or similar which uses a pocket of water to prevent sewer smells blowing up the pipe into your dwelling.  A non-return flap or valve would prevent canal or river water flowing back into your bath.  A non-return valve could be fitted after your pump.  It's not a bad idea to fit one if the outlet is not well above the waterline.  Reciprocating pumps (like gulpers) already have non-return valves but they could fail or get stuck open with hair/scum.

Edited by mross

Ideally, mount the bath with its base above the waterline, it will empty by gravity then.  Or to stop muck getting into the pump a wad of green Scotch scouring pads stuffed into the plughole make brilliant filters.

31 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Worked on quite few boats. A bunk or storage cupboard can be made underneath.

and when having a shower you can open the Houdini hatch above and stand up.   Note - Ladies may get more attention from passers by than they would like whilst showering.

• Greenie 1

Whalegulpers seem to be remarkably resistant to debris. The one on my bathtub hasn't been touched in nine years of live aboard use. The twin tub washing machine drains in to the bath before being pumped overboard. I wash my longish hair over the tub. Seems to cope with it all without getting bunged up. As has been said, make the length of hose from plug hole to pump longer than that from the pump to the skin fitting and you won't get water coming back up in to the tub. A non return valve after the gulper would also prevent this, but could be blocked or jammed by debris and hair passing through the pump.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
spellling