Cruising on the Marie Celeste, doomed never to moor

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

As I understand it - and others can correct me if I am wrong - when the canal was closed, the reservoirs were sold off to water companies which have since been privatised. As a result, the summit has very little water of its own and the water companies not only own it (and hence can charge for it as does CaRT in other places) but also control it. As a result, if it is not in their interests to supply, they turn off the 'tap'.

Got to moor at Uppermill after lock 21, we couldn't get in on the moorings nearest to the locks because of getting near the bank, though we managed to get in on the mooring dollies facing the winding hole nearest bridge 79.

A lady from a boat passing us said lock 29 was breached https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/10796/lock-29e-huddersfield-narrow-canal, by the time we get there all should be fine.  

At lock 19 (think it was) CRT left a message asking that the paddles be left open on one of the double lock doors, obviously to let water down.

Lock 1E - 9E there're problems  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/10796/lock-29e-huddersfield-narrow-canal

Edited by Jennifer McM
got an extra word

Lovely pics on your page, my partner and I helped the wooden boat society bow haul butty (Hazel or lillith) up the marple flight, forget-me-not was motor boat on our weekend trip to Sale. Seeing the photos brought back so memories. That was about 10 or more years ago. Beautiful part of the country.

We have moored at Scout Tunnel a few times, there are bollards  (and although these are strictly meant for waiting for oncoming tunnel traffic this in practice isn't needed). People also seem to moor at the services outside Stalybridge. The moorings at Wool Road services are nice and in the summit pound at Diggle they are spectacular! It's just about possible to moor at the winding hole by lock 31E too if you use a plank. Hope your experiences get better, its a beautiful canal a day should be used more!

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

We have moored at Scout Tunnel a few times, there are bollards  (and although these are strictly meant for waiting for oncoming tunnel traffic this in practice isn't needed). People also seem to moor at the services outside Stalybridge. The moorings at Wool Road services are nice and in the summit pound at Diggle they are spectacular! It's just about possible to moor at the winding hole by lock 31E too if you use a plank. Hope your experiences get better, its a beautiful canal a day should be used more!

There is a beautiful little mooring on the off side above the lock above Scout tunnel.  In Slaithwaite these days I tend to moor where the café boat used to be, below the guillotine lock (there are bollards above the guillotine lock but it can be difficult to get in to the side).  I've never had to use a plank at the Kettle (31E).  There, I'm not telling you any more of my 'secret moorings of the HNC'!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Scout Tunnel is one of the places where we tried to moor, on the right, just after the lock and before turning right into the tunnel.  We failed! BUT.... on the towpath there, while trying to pull in the boat into the side, we accidentally left a very good windlass on the grass there! <_< 

We also tried to get over to the left (so the tunnel is in front), where there are a some dollies, but again we failed!

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

There is a beautiful little mooring on the off side above the lock above Scout tunnel.  In Slaithwaite these days I tend to moor where the café boat used to be, below the guillotine lock (there are bollards above the guillotine lock but it can be difficult to get in to the side).  I've never had to use a plank at the Kettle (31E).  There, I'm not telling you any more of my 'secret moorings of the HNC'!

LOL thanks for sharing some of your secrets! 

We're sitting pretty at the moment in Diggle, and the scenery is fabulous, and thinking it's a shame that Saddlesworth Moor has had it's name tarnished by such an evil tragedy!

Tomorrow we'll be going through the tunnel (hopefully).

It's been raining for nearly three days now, so I think the canal must be getting topped up nicely.

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

LOL thanks for sharing some of your secrets! 

We're sitting pretty at the moment in Diggle, and the scenery is fabulous, and thinking it's a shame that Saddlesworth Moor has had it's name tarnished by such an evil tragedy!

Tomorrow we'll be going through the tunnel (hopefully).

It's been raining for nearly three days now, so I think the canal must be getting topped up nicely.

Going down the east side of the tunnel forget about picking up your crew, they need to walk the whole way. Hang back until the top gates are open then enter the lock. Your crew may have to go back and let more water into the pound when you are stuck in the middle. Its still a lovely trip but not the same as other canals apart from the Chesterfield where mooring on lock landings is normal. This time of year the Calder & Hebble is beautiful so enjoy that as well, it will normally have plenty of water too.

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Scout Tunnel is one of the places where we tried to moor, on the right, just after the lock and before turning right into the tunnel.  We failed! BUT.... on the towpath there, while trying to pull in the boat into the side, we accidentally left a very good windlass on the grass there! <_< 

We also tried to get over to the left (so the tunnel is in front), where there are a some dollies, but again we failed!

You must be quite deep drafted? Or the pound shallow? Oh well...at least you found somewhere eventually! 

PS thanks for the greenie! Only my second so it's still exciting getting them haha

• Greenie 1