Richard Saillet/Mr. canalshop jailed for eight years for violent sexual assault.

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 22:48, Starcoaster said:

Do you remember when all of those "Mickey Mouse" degree courses were exposed-like combined Waste Management and Dance...

Ian duncan smith built his career based on the possession of these.

18 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

You obviously never watched the earlier series of "The Wire" with Idris Elba (Stringer Bell).  It is actually a good series.

Same theme tune for each series, but by different artists with totally different arrangements. Great stuff.

Not for those with delicate ears though, was it!!

I just wanted to add a footnote to this as I think it is relevant.

Last week just before sentencing I was advised that Mrs. Saillet was using the fake name of Jennifer Lancaster online to gain access to various groups and monitor news regarding her husband. I searched the name on FB etc., but came up blank. Anyway, lo and behold I got a message request on Facebook today (after posting on that platform publicizing Richard Saillet's conviction and the situation with the business as it still trades) from one Jennifer Lancaster, reproduced below:

"I think your comments although true could possibly be libellous.. To malign a legitimate business and its proprietor is quite foolhardy..."

There was an attachment on the request too, which I could not open, but that I presume was some form of link to someone's interpretation of the Defamation Act, and I am kind of sad I could not open it because I would love to hear the machinations of how libel can be claimed against verifiable facts and when the very message itself acknowledged "ALTHOUGH TRUE!" Unfortunately I could not thank Jennizanne for her concern nor ask her to re-send the attachment, as she blocked me immediately after sending me the request.

So I think that answers the question about where Richard's wife stands on the whole thing, and her plans to disassociate her business and personal interests from him or not... Not, being the case.

Edited by Starcoaster

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

Please get the attachment checked by your local IT friend for malware and such.  If it is malware she has broken the law so get the police involved.  Also don't use the machine until you get it checked.

Very good advice. I'd not considered it until you mentioned it but 'unable to open it' is a strong suggestion. 

4 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

err not really, if you want to send something nasty contained in a file, then you would need to open it to release nasty thing?

I would have thought so, though I am no expert. But we often see the advice "Don't open the attachment" referring to dodgy-looking e-mails. Surely it can do no harm unless it is opened?

16 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

err not really, if you want to send something nasty contained in a file, then you would need to open it to release nasty thing?

How about a zip file if you don't have winzip installed? Or maybe an XLS?  I have received loads of dodgy attachments over the years covering a wide range of file formats. Fortunately I've not caught an infection yet. 

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

How about a zip file if you don't have winzip installed? Or maybe an XLS?  I have received loads of dodgy attachments over the years covering a wide range of file formats. Fortunately I've not caught an infection yet. 

You chopped the bottom of my quote.

34 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

More than likely a strange format of file.

27 minutes ago, mross said:

You shouldn't even open attachments from friends and family unless you are expecting them.  If their computer is hacked, it will probably send infected emails to everyone in their contacts.

Hear, hear. Especially from Yahoo, which the very name implies, nasty foul and atrocious things.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I would have thought so, though I am no expert. But we often see the advice "Don't open the attachment" referring to dodgy-looking e-mails. Surely it can do no harm unless it is opened?

She has opened it, clicking on a file will try to open it.  Just because the file says it is something doesn't mean to say that it is that.  Oh the file didn't open as it's not a valid PDF file, but it's just executed in the background and now logging your keystrokes..   This is how the current malware in the news got into the networks in the first place.  It spread because of other means, but it got in via email.

The public at large seems to have enormous difficulty grasping the difference between opening and reading an email, and opening a file attached to the email, or clicking links displayed in the email.

Clicking on an attachment or a link carries obvious risks, but I'm never sure if simply opening an email and displaying the text on one's screen also carries a risk. I suspect not.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I'm a bit pee'd off with the latest iPhone OS. It used to be that if you long-pressed on a link in an email it would show you the true address. It was ever so good at showing you that Barclays.co.uk was actually directing to iwillhackyou.ru but it no longer does that.

Unless someone knows the secret?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The public at large seems to have enormous difficulty grasping the difference between opening and reading an email, and opening a file attached to the email, or clicking links displayed in the email.

Clicking on an attachment or a link carries obvious risks, but I'm never sure if simply opening an email and displaying the text on one's screen also carries a risk. I suspect not.

I have my email set to deliver everything as plane text, I sometimes have to select html to read some items but I know what I am getting.

On 17/05/2017 at 12:35, ditchcrawler said:

I have my email set to deliver everything as plane text, I sometimes have to select html to read some items but I know what I am getting.

So plain text emails being opened and viewed are GUARANTEED zero risk, are you saying?

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So plain text emails being opened and viewed are GUARANTEED zero risk, are you saying?

Its also set up not to open anything. I have received dodge emails with attachments that have contained naughty's which I haven't opened that have not caused me a problem. I am not technical enough to offer Guarantees maybe some one else can offer an opinion.

31 minutes ago, hounddog said:

Still does.   IOS 10.3.2

My new-ish Iphone 7 running 10.3.1 doesn't. Unless I've changed a setting somewhere, but I don't know how I could have done so. 

Just upgrading to 10.3.2 now to see if it makes any difference.