Music Magpie

jenevers

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Is an English translation available?

Music Magpie is a company that buy your old Cd's and DVD's (for a pittance) and then sell them to new owners through a sister company called Zoverstocks. Zoverstock prices vary depending on popularity of said discs, from a pound or so up to tens of pounds. It can be a cheap way to fill holes in your CD collection, as they guarantee the discs to work.

Presumably their app allows you to see how much they will offer for your discs.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Music Magpie is a company that buy your old Cd's and DVD's (for a pittance) and then sell them to new owners through a sister company called Zoverstocks. Zoverstock prices vary depending on popularity of said discs, from a pound or so up to tens of pounds. It can be a cheap way to fill holes in your CD collection, as they guarantee the discs to work.

ebay is a good and for me reliable source of second hand CD's  If you are mean careful with your money it is often cheaper to buy the CD and then rip it to mp3 format than to download as an mp3, plus you have the cd well, if you like collecting things.

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

ebay is a good and for me reliable source of second hand CD's  If you are mean careful with your money it is often cheaper to buy the CD and then rip it to mp3 format than to download as an mp3, plus you have the cd well, if you like collecting things.

Yes, I put all of my cd's onto a NAS drive and stream them to my hi fi for ease of use and filed the cd's in the loft.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:09, cuthound said:

Ah, thanks, you're evidently a member of the Plain English Campaign!

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:32, Chewbacka said:

ebay is a good and for me reliable source of second hand CD's

I buy regularly from eBay, and "reliable" is not a word which I would use. My music purchases are always vinyl, generally singles, and the amount of misdescription, misgrading, overpricing and downright lies (such as claiming a record to be "original" when it's a recent bootleg) amongst eBay "dealers" is startling. I never buy CDs, I only sell them (not on eBay) so I can't claim close knowledge of that sector of the market, but it would amaze me if the same weren't true.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

I buy regularly from eBay, and "reliable" is not a word which I would use. My music purchases are always vinyl, generally singles, and the amount of misdescription, misgrading, overpricing and downright lies (such as claiming a record to be "original" when it's a recent bootleg) amongst eBay "dealers" is startling. I never buy CDs, I only sell them (not on eBay) so I can't claim close knowledge of that sector of the market, but it would amaze me if the same weren't true.

I was talking CD's which tend to work or not work, and I only want them for the music, so don't care if they are the original or a re-release etc.,   However I would be very wary about buying 'used' vinyl and would assume it to be worse than the description, especially regarding scratches and general quality - played with a worn, poor quality stylus etc.  I would be even more wary of singles as the customer base for these tended to be youngsters who did not have the best kit to play them on etc. 

You would be right to be wary! It's not always "worse than the description" by any means, but it can be. There is a comprehensive grading scale used by dealers for the condition of records (M = mint, EX, VG, and by the time you get to G [= good] they aren't good at all). Below that is F (= fair, though I tend to think of a different meaning). But these grades are of course subjective; one gets to know the sellers who habitually grade conservatively.

With CDs, the thing to beware of is the counterfeit, usually made in lands far away. The booklet may be duller in colour and less sharply focussed than the original, and the sound quality may also be noticeably dull. the rule of thumb is, if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is: a supposedly full-price current CD release offered new at £3.99 has almost certainly never seen the inside of Universal or BMG's pressing plants.

And I wouldn't buy any 78 records from me either, especially ''Rustles of spring'' on the Brunswick label. It and others were once played on my homemade Meccano gramophone, comprising, one of mums favourite darning needles as a needle, a Potters Catarrh pastels tin as a sound box, and driven at greatly varying speeds by a big No3 Meccano clockwork motor.