Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

• 3 years later...
5 minutes ago, haggis said:

Wow, over 3 years to report a post. That must be some sort of message ? 

That's why when I reported the dodgy post that has now been removed I didn't post in thread.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

That's why when I reported the dodgy post that has now been removed I didn't post in thread.

Ah sorry! I didn't see the post you reported. It's been a long day ? 

haggis

• 1 year later...
On 12/05/2017 at 13:37, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect that initially your mobility may well improve because that is what I find after a summer on the boat BUT I am sure that eventually you will find not only moving the boat but also routine maintenance of the boat and its equipment will get beyond you. Then the boat will become more and more difficult to live on and have a decent quality of life. I am sure many of us on here have seen boats where for one reason or another the owner has lost the ability to care for it and in many cases themselves adequately. How many years that will take is of course unknowable but what I will say is that I will be selling the boat in the next few years because I recognise boating will become dangerous with an increasing lack of mobility and strength AND that suggest I will not longer be able to look after it. I am 73. Then there are the increasing appointments for doctors & hospitals etc.

Please give this lots of thought. At least with a flat you have a Local Authority who more or less are obliged to take some care of you. I bet if you are living on a boat in a way that means that you do not pay council tax it would be very difficult to access the small amount of help a Local Authority will give.

Still if you think that you will remain active and with good health and strength until almost the last  then go for it but please give it lost of thought.

Hi there, well I sold the dreaded flat and moved on to the boat, not had any major regrets, and now I'm looking at options for moving back to bricks and mortar, if that becomes necessary. I'll keep the boat in good condition and sell it only when it gets too much for me. No health scares, but I take loads of vitamins. Continuous Cruising suits me, winter is a bit dreary, but I have found a good base.

Edited by LadyG