Stolen Boat

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

The 70' Springer was stolen yesterday from the mooring in Blisworth. It was seen coming out of Stoke Breurne bottom lock yesterday.
The first picture shows it tidy as it could be and dark blue, the second pic shows it as it was Yesterday. Covered in slime and filthy and rubbish on the roof.Please look out for it. Note the high hatch toward the rear

taken from facebook

18425192_10158559562575580_7124558033783174892_n.jpg

18341807_10154715364897737_2865996044700428156_n.jpg

Given most 'stolen' boats turn out to be ownership disputes, and no crime number is given (so unlikely to have been reported to the police)  I'm not sure too much effort should be expended in tracking this one down.

This is on Facebook as "engine non runner so will be being towed", yet reference to it leaving Stoke Bruerne locks don't say that it is.

Seems highly unlikely to me that someone should choose to tow a non running boat away from Blisworth and through a major tunnel and down a flight of locks, when there are many nicer and running boats they could have taken, which wouldn't attract the same attention.

Like so many of these stories, I bet there is something going down here we are not being told, (including in this thread who to contact if you see it!......)

29 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

No suggestion in anything I have seen that it is yet a Police matter or that there is a crime reference number.

The problem then becomes that you don't actually know if this is a genuine theft or not.

(So many of the examples we have seen that were claimed to be, proved to be rather less clear cut in practice).

I'm curious about who is claiming it has been stolen. is it only Blissworth Tunnel Boats? 

Given their comment about it not being licenced for five years I'd have thought the most likely culprits were CRT towing it to a place they can lift it out and impound it.

• Greenie 1

On 11/05/2017 at 10:31, Martin Megson said:

My take is quite simple on these issues.  if there is no police crime number then I won't get involved. 

My thoughts too. The reluctance to report it to the police speaks volumes.

Good to see The FB bunch are a sensible and responsible bunch ~

"Why don't you get on a bicycle and ride down the tow path? a narrow boat can't go far and you will catch it in no time, take a shotgun with you and shoot the bastard who took it!!"

Without a confirmed Police Crime Number, but given the known facts that it's been more or less abandoned at a yard for 5 years without licence (why/how???) I think the first line of enquiry would be the registered owner.

"Good morning, who did you quietly sell your boat to in order to avoid your ongoing mooring bill?"

Get that question out of the way, and publish the crime number, then I'll be interested.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Yes this seems the most likely scenario. Blissworth Tunnel Boats are owed a pile of dosh in unpaid mooring fees and have just noticed the boat is gone, along with all chance of collecting the debt. This would explain why the owner is not the one posting here claiming his boat has been nicked.

The owner is probably the one who took it, which is why BTB are asking for help finding the boat. They want to find the owner.

On 11/05/2017 at 11:02, mross said:

If BTB have a lien on the boat, then the 'owners' have stolen it.

And how would that work then? How is a lien created? Surely unpaid moorings (if this is the case, and it's pure speculation) would just be a civil debt.

One of the postings on FB says the police have been informed but still no crime number. Another report says its being worked on at  Banbury Lane. North of Blisworth heading for Wilton.

So its not gone far

Edited by ditchcrawler
Add last line

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And how would that work then? How is a lien created? Surely unpaid moorings (if this is the case, and it's pure speculation) would just be a civil debt.

From my memory of near 60 years ago unless repairs have been carried out it is doubtful if a lien would apply for mooring fees but happy for someone qualified to say differently.  Now if BTB had gone to court and got the boat arrested for unpaid dues an offence would ahve been committed by moving it.

On 11/05/2017 at 11:25, Sea Dog said:

I can imagine a lot of people would be glad to see the back of it. Perhaps sleeping dogs should be left to lie?

Yes I'm inclined to think BTB could find another customer for this mooring pretty easily.

On 11/05/2017 at 11:38, mross said:

I'm not sure of the legal process.  But, under marine law, it's quite easy to 'arrest' a vessel.  You have to nail a notice to the mast!  Here is an article which explains a little of how liens are made.  http://www.waterways-ombudsman.org/case-summaries/2015-16-case-summaries/

Ok. So given this NB in question does not have a mast, we can be confident it had not been 'arrested'. :)

Which case in that massive page covers liens? I can't see any mention...

14 minutes ago, mross said:

I'm not sure of the legal process.  But, under marine law, it's quite easy to 'arrest' a vessel.  You have to nail a notice to the mast!  Here is an article which explains a little of how liens are made.  http://www.waterways-ombudsman.org/case-summaries/2015-16-case-summaries/

Reminds me of  my one sailing holiday, on West Coast of Scotland. One of the crew (not me) failed to secure the dinghy, when we went to the pub. The tide came further up the slipway than anticipated. So we got another boater to give us a lift back. The skipper was very sure to make sure he was first on board, to get his hand on the mast first, and so ensure that the other boater (who I must say seemed very friendly) did not claim salvage! We found the dinghy in the morning a few hundred yards away ...

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok. So given this NB in question does not have a mast, we can be confident it had not been 'arrested'. :)

Oh no! They've nicked the mast too?! Whatever next?

(I still thinking worst case outcome is if some do-gooder finds the damned thing and brings it back)